S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #41
3 feet

rainning at the moment so might have to postpone my first proper skate. havent skated in the wet before. does it make much difference?
3 feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #42
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 feet View Post
rainning at the moment so might have to postpone my first proper skate. havent skated in the wet before. does it make much difference?
YES!!! Until you have skated quite a bit, assume that Wet=Death.

You may eventually get used to the wet, but when you are first starting out it is baaaaad.

If you have ever ice skated on totally dull blades, then you already know what inline skating in the wet feels like... <shudder>
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #43
Bryan
Dances with Short Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Until you have skated quite a bit, assume that Wet=Death.
My first time skating in the rain was earlier this year during the annual Skate DC event. We took a gamble and did the Saturday afternoon skate despite the sketchy weather forecast. Well, things worked out wonderfully, and it wasn't until the end of the skate that the thick green clouds attacked. After locating the restaurant where the evening would end, I headed back to my hotel to clean up. At that point, the skies opened up.

All of the sudden I found myself in a strange city on a Saturday night, skating in the rain for the first time. Not a lovely combination. I was, of course, extremely careful. What I learned was that some surfaces were only slightly more slick in the rain, but others were a hundred times more slick. The actual sidewalks were fine, or at least pretty much normal, but then I'd go to cross a street in the crosswalk, and the black asphalt was like ice. And the yellow and white lines in the street? A well oiled ice.

So the moral of the story is, wait until you're a bit more experienced before you try wet skating. And then when you do, don't get overly confident right away, as every change in skating surface presents a fresh opportunity to do some high speed sliding.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:54 PM   #44
3 feet

made it out to that path today, problem was there was a 40 plus mph wind blowing. it was blowing kinda diaganally which made it worse. anyway i realised that id led myself into a false sense of security skating in fenced/bared off areas with regards to braking. ive been braking quite hard just before i hit the fence or metal bars but today when that option wasent available found it more difficult though not impossible. il keep plugging away though.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM   #45
streetsk8r

That's why they call it practice!

The best news is that you did so well in difficult conditions. High winds are tough to skate in and with no mentions of falls or not being able to stop it sounds like a real achievement!

Keep up the good work!

I'm slow to finish but quick to start - RHCP
streetsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM   #46
3 feet

went on a car park today and yesterday. not perfectly smooth but not bad either. practised braking on a slight slope with the car as back up to stop me. havent fell as yet but then im not taking to many risks and skating within my own boundaries.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM   #47
Davey_Speedstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 feet View Post
practised braking on a slight slope
Draw two lines 3-4 metres apart. When you cross the 1st line start braking and try to stop before you reach the second line. When you can do this try it a bit faster (& then a bit faster).

Sounds as though you're starting to get the hang of it. Perhaps you ought to start falling over to see how it feels
Old September 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #48
3 feet

thats a good tip or when on the path i can use the numerous trees at the side as markers for braking. also waiting for skate birmingham to return my call which was a week ago, so emailed them as well. a few lessons could really get me going.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #49
3 feet

also noticed ive worn one half of the brake down and none on the other side. so my braking skate must leaning toward one side but thats where a few lessons will come in handy, as someone can easier see your faults better then yourself especially if there a teach/ coach. try and nip any bad habits in the bud sooner rather then later.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #50
3 feet

thought id found a great place to skate today. it was a quite area, hardly used. someone who practised there motorbike licence told me i could use it. going up an down it was great for about 20 minutes until a car came out of seemingly no where an the guy opened the window starring at me. hello i said, to which he grunted what was i doing there? anyway the bottom line is he owned the strip of concrete that was hardly ever used and certainly not by his company which was about 600 yards away. agonisingly though opposite is an even better skating venue thats never used. trouble is its mod land.
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #51
Davey_Speedstar

I bet he's not there at weekends to kick you off
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #52
Rods

Sorry to interupt this thread but congrat's Dave on your new skating blog. Just found it (and thanks for the link). Good luck.

Rods
Rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #53
spinning wheels

Default 3 Feet, Hows it going ?

I just wondered how you were getting on, I don't expect you have been able to do much this time of year. I expect like me you can't wait for the better weather to be able to get out. I used to live in Worcester so know the spot where you practised at the racecourse (Pitchcroft) well. I live in Cheltenham now where I havent really found a good skating area. As I spend most weekends in Birmingham my favourite place is Canon Hill Park, Edgebaston where a few other skaters meet on weekends. I did manage to get down there the Sunday before last when it was frosty but dry which is the main thing but was on my own. It is much nicer when there are other skaters for company.
Hope you havent given up because its great fun when you get going and get over the falling over stage, although its still possible to fall even when you have been skating for years if you go outside your comfort zone.

Peter
spinning wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #54
3 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinning wheels View Post
I just wondered how you were getting on, I don't expect you have been able to do much this time of year. I expect like me you can't wait for the better weather to be able to get out. I used to live in Worcester so know the spot where you practised at the racecourse (Pitchcroft) well. I live in Cheltenham now where I havent really found a good skating area. As I spend most weekends in Birmingham my favourite place is Canon Hill Park, Edgebaston where a few other skaters meet on weekends. I did manage to get down there the Sunday before last when it was frosty but dry which is the main thing but was on my own. It is much nicer when there are other skaters for company.
Hope you havent given up because its great fun when you get going and get over the falling over stage, although its still possible to fall even when you have been skating for years if you go outside your comfort zone.

Peter
hi- havent skated much recently. dident bargain on the wet leaves that were every where at the beginning of winter. pitchcroft have now added another tarmac area on the river side area. you can now allmost skate round a full lap of the race course. i had a couple of lessons in cannon hill park last october with Wes Mcfarlane. like you say its better skating with others like most things really. allthough im still looking for the utopia.- somewhere private to skate- if only to build up my skill level.
Old March 15th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #55
Davey_Speedstar

What are you doing next (Easter) Weekend, there's lots of skating going on. If you can get yourself to Derby there's the all-nighter next Saturday night.

Ideally take a trip to Nottingham beforehand on the Saturday afternoon, and skate with Bladesoc and the Nottingham Skaters. There will be lots of cars (mine included) driving from Notts to Derby (as well as wet weather alternatives).

PM m here, or e-mail me through my website if you're interested, it'll be a great opportunity to skate with lots of other people (many of whom will be of a similar level), an will give you the chance to 'get your skating legs back'.
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #56
Wolfgang

Inline skating isn't the 'in' thing right now, that's why you're having trouble finding them locally.
But....it is also a sport with a MASSIVE dropout rate (upwards of 90 %), which means if you look around some, you should be able to find almost new skates in thrift shops, yard sales, flea markets and similar 'secondary economy' resale environments for a fraction of the original cost.
Their owners probably wore them once, went "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" and threw them into the closet, never to be touched again.
The aforementioned are also great places to find replacement wheels and things......
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote