S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Beginning Skaters Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginning Skaters Forum This is the place for beginning skaters to ask questions and share their stories. We would love to hear about your experiences learning to skate. No question is too dumb!

Old September 26th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #1
2LeftFeet

Default Instructions or videos on techniques that a

beginning skater can study posted on here somewhere? I did come across a couple possibles that I saved for reading later. Past my bedtime. LOL. In the meantime I thought some of you might have saved a few links that you would be willing to share. Or write up a few instructions. Any books on skating techniques?

BTW, I came across links to a couple videos of free slalom (I think it is called) skating that were simply terrific. Looked like tons of fun. Loved watching the footwork. Man would I love to be able to do something like that. That girl Chloe is pretty good!
2LeftFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #2
CrazyGambit
Socially Unacceptable

The best way is to get out there and do it. With that said i am sure there is video somewhere showing basics.
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
2LeftFeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGambit View Post
The best way is to get out there and do it. With that said i am sure there is video somewhere showing basics.

Plan on it. Would rather learn the correct way than have to unlearn a bad habit. I read that you should be pushing off with the outside of the skate. Seemed when I was trying them on that I could only get started by pushing off on the inside of them. Seemed to recall reading that pushing with the rear of the skate was more efficient. Has to be a "How To" out there somewhere. Would be a first if there weren't.
Old September 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

No, push with the inside. That "pushing with the outside" stuff is a very advanced speed skating technique.

I think that getrolling.com has a ton of instructional stuff, but I have not seen any videos there. Hmmm...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #5
3 feet

personally i think its tough to learn technique in a sport/activity from watching a video. id say a coach/teacher is the best bet.
3 feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I was thinking that too. Find someone on the trail better than you and ask them questions, if you don't want to go for formal lessons.
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #8
2LeftFeet

Thanks for the links, dja. No time tonight, but will look them over tomorrow. They all looked very interesting,
Old September 27th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #9
peter

Video - Inside Edge by Bettina Bigelow
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #10
bork
just turned 50!

njbird sent me a video, I'd like to pass it on. Check you PMs
bork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 03:13 AM   #11
2LeftFeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Video - Inside Edge by Bettina Bigelow

Could you supply a link? Didn't find it when I did a Google. Thanks.
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM   #12
PatriciaH

Default DVD/video instructios...

I'm just getting started with skating, too, and I found a video that I could enjoy and learn from is "Learn To In-Line Skate With Debbie Merrill." I'm not inclined to spend money where I don't need to--so I borrowed it from the library.

I also found some really basic instructions, to help get you started, at the Roller Blades web site ( http://www.rollerblade.com/home/index.php ).

We each have "preferred" modes of learning and I'm also one who likes to "learn the right way, and avoid starting bad habits..." Not only that, but I find that by working with a video I can benefit both by visualization and by "training my body movements" in a safe and comfortable environment.

For the record, I haven't been an accomplished skater in the past---last time I had skates on I was 10 or 11 years old, and that was around 50 years ago!
PatriciaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:33 AM   #13
2LeftFeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriciaH View Post
I'm just getting started with skating, too, and I found a video that I could enjoy and learn from is "Learn To In-Line Skate With Debbie Merrill." I'm not inclined to spend money where I don't need to--so I borrowed it from the library.

I also found some really basic instructions, to help get you started, at the Roller Blades web site ( http://www.rollerblade.com/home/index.php ).

We each have "preferred" modes of learning and I'm also one who likes to "learn the right way, and avoid starting bad habits..." Not only that, but I find that by working with a video I can benefit both by visualization and by "training my body movements" in a safe and comfortable environment.

For the record, I haven't been an accomplished skater in the past---last time I had skates on I was 10 or 11 years old, and that was around 50 years ago!

Thanks for the link. I've already watched them. Still need to see what my library has to offer.

Wish you the best getting started. It has been a few years since I was on skates. Probably over 12 years ago. Surprised at how awkward I am. I'm sure the extra 35 pounds isn't helping.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 03:34 AM   #14
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftFeet View Post
Thanks for the link. I've already watched them. Still need to see what my library has to offer.
I went a watched the Rollerblade animations. Pretty decent. Once you can do all that, then it's a matter of doing it faster or more powerfully. Like once you can do the basic stride, then start taking a longer and stronger push, and glide longer on one foot.

If you wanna go fast, get Dianne Holum's book on speed skating, which can give you a nice solid foundation of the mechanics of going fast. My public library in tropical Houston had it, so any decent sized city in a colder place should have it. If you wanna be manueverable, get a book on hockey skating and do drills from it.

There is sort of a gap in the online stuff. Online, you can find info for the most basic beginner, and you can find a jillion tutorials on the doublepush. But there's a whole gap in between that is filled by you getting out and skating. Skate, skate, skate, skate, skate, skate, skate. Skate as fast as you can, and then do a parallel turn. And then do it again, and turn sharper. Then do it the opposite direction so you don't get all lopsided. At the end of the parallel turn, sprint 30 feet, and then turn again. Find a kid on a bike and ask him to race you. Skate circles on your inside edges, and then on your outside edges. Slalom on both feet, and then on one at a time.

Oh sorry, I launched into a tirade or something. To answer your question, I don't know of any videos. :-) I hope you have a great time learning and skating. If it's not fun, what's the point?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:00 PM   #15
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Skate More , More and read sometimes

Hi 2LeftFeet from Easton,

Quote:

Wish you the best getting started. It has been a few years since I was on skates. Probably over 12 years ago. Surprised at how awkward I am. I'm sure the extra 35 pounds isn't helping.
I went and looked at some of your older posts. Hey since 9/3 you have been a busy beaver.

I am pretty sure you are spending more time over-analyzing skating than just going out and skate. I have the same problem with over-analyzing before I do things.

I would suggest that you get good protective gear, a path you know that is free of debris and then spend a good amount of time each week skating. Think about indoors during the upcoming winter months. You won't need the helmet indoors unless you feel the need.

The problem I have learned, is that no amount of learning can help you at "our" age for the tiny steps that you must take as you go forward.

Pick 3 skills you want to learn skating, ask questions of this great list/forum and do a forum search if you feel the need.

YET Skate more than watching videos.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave

Edit-01: One of the things that amazes me has been kids below reading and in grade school. I spend it seems like forever learning a new move and they copy me and make it look easy after a few sessions. They learn by doing and watching and fun.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; October 3rd, 2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Some additional
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #16
Cutemekat
Total Noob

I found this website and I think it's pretty cool. It teaches you from how to put on the skate.

http://www.expertvillage.com/intervi...g-beginner.htm
Cutemekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #17
peter

Quote:
Could you supply a link? Didn't find it when I did a Google. Thanks.
I cant find the Bettina Bigelow link any more. Look like it has gone
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #18
2LeftFeet

Thanks Bill, Dave, Pete, and Kitty for the replies since I last visited the forum. Been a bit busy. Bill & Dave I appreciate your thoughts, and taking the time to put them to paper (so to speak ).
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #19
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default How much will you have skated this week

Hi 2LeftFeet from Easton,

Quote:
Thanks Bill, Dave, Pete, and Kitty for the replies since I last visited the forum. Been a bit busy. Bill & Dave I appreciate your thoughts, and taking the time to put them to paper (so to speak ).
So how much will you have skated this week??

I am not sure if you had the time to look at the most recent set of videos given to us by cutemekat (cute lovable avatar, yet keep that cat inside so it doesn't do birding). When I saw that spunky young man get up fast on both skates on clip 2 I said HEY HE doesn't know 2Left Feet or our age group. Now I probably can do it yet I would advise carefully bringing up one skate and using your knee to move up the rest of your body.

OK How much have you skated??
And more importantly where do you skate outdoors in Easton?
If it's close to Bethlehem township better yet.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #20
Cutemekat
Total Noob

lol! Thanks! That's my cat, Tao.
Cutemekat is offline   Reply With Quote