S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #21
Dec8rSk8r

I think it would be a nice feature, that, if you ignored someone on here, the system would automatically block your posts from being seen by their ID. I realise there are probably only certain features that can be tweaked though. A flaw in this logic, too, that is that unless the forum went back to private for members, you could still lurk and read each others posts.

We probably would be better off if we weren't able/allowed to comment on each others sales posts. If so, would that apply to the ebay and craigslist posts as well? Sometimes people post up their own auctions, and if they don't say it's their auction; then they sometimes receive negative comments about the price or condition of the item.

I don't think it's fair to expect the admins to consider "culmulative posts". Are they supposed to read every word written on the forum and tally a members offences up in their heads whenever they need to make a judgement call? Or are they supposed to take the word of the person complaining about the other member? Gee, I wonder their agenda would be? That could turn into a witch hunt. I think it would be best to report the posts that are particularly offensive like we do now IMO.

Banning talking about politics and religion would be a slippery slope to start down. People can get heated and name call over global warming, squat thrusts, you name it... but they probably should be confined to the Off Topic so they aren't blocking all the heavy traffic of conversations about skates and skating going on. You can talk civil about darn near anything if you want to, and if those threads aren't your cup of tea - just pass on them.

Sometimes threads can start about skating, and end up completely off original topic, and it's about personal chit-chit and other sorts of other things that don't pertain to 95% of the people reading it. And, about everyone on here is guilty of doing that at one time or another. Personally, I don't like to be told what I am allowed to talk about when I am not saying anything rude or socially unacceptable. Do we want to turn the forum into a "police state"?

I guess I don't understand why more people don't use the "ignore" feature instead of letting a few members they don't see eye to eye with ruin their enjoyment of the forum. It works a charm.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #22
the california kid

Default Very Nicey Said.................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I think it would be a nice feature, that, if you ignored someone on here, the system would automatically block your posts from being seen by their ID. I realise there are probably only certain features that can be tweaked though. A flaw in this logic, too, that is that unless the forum went back to private for members, you could still lurk and read each others posts.

We probably would be better off if we weren't able/allowed to comment on each others sales posts. If so, would that apply to the ebay and craigslist posts as well? Sometimes people post up their own auctions, and if they don't say it's their auction; then they sometimes receive negative comments about the price or condition of the item.

I don't think it's fair to expect the admins to consider "culmulative posts". Are they supposed to read every word written on the forum and tally a members offences up in their heads whenever they need to make a judgement call? Or are they supposed to take the word of the person complaining about the other member? Gee, I wonder their agenda would be? That could turn into a witch hunt. I think it would be best to report the posts that are particularly offensive like we do now IMO.

Banning talking about politics and religion would be a slippery slope to start down. People can get heated and name call over global warming, squat thrusts, you name it... but they probably should be confined to the Off Topic so they aren't blocking all the heavy traffic of conversations about skates and skating going on. You can talk civil about darn near anything if you want to, and if those threads aren't your cup of tea - just pass on them.

Sometimes threads can start about skating, and end up completely off original topic, and it's about personal chit-chit and other sorts of other things that don't pertain to 95% of the people reading it. And, about everyone on here is guilty of doing that at one time or another. Personally, I don't like to be told what I am allowed to talk about when I am not saying anything rude or socially unacceptable. Do we want to turn the forum into a "police state"?

I guess I don't understand why more people don't use the "ignore" feature instead of letting a few members they don't see eye to eye with ruin their enjoyment of the forum. It works a charm.
No further comment needed..........
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #23
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

So we are sensitive to hate speech, racial, or sex orientated. OK. How sensitive are we about hate accusations. Salamanda and Big Nick have been accusing me of being a racist for a long time.

How does this play?
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #24
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
How does this play?
Probably quite open and shut, since you posted borderline racist comments and then backed them up with PMs.
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #25
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nick View Post
Kathie, I don't think edits do come up as "new posts" at least not in the regular forums.
They don't come up as new forum posts when edited. But at the same time, all you would do is make it where people would delete their original post, and post a new one to bump their sale thread to keep their stuff from being on page 4.

Quote:
The only down side I can see to this, is when someone asks for info like Duro of wheels etc. But this can be done via PM as well, of posted as a question in the appropriate forum.
It would certainly reduce a lot of the ill feeling and bickering.
While I agree, that also keeps the vulchers from being able to come in and take advantage of either a) those who view the forums but don't log in, and b) those who are not knowledgeable of skating equipment like many of the forum members are.

What is so wrong about posting in a for sale thread if it's kept civil? When it goes beyond being civil in those threads and becomes a personal attack, report the post.
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #26
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Salamanda and Big Nick have been accusing me of being a racist for a long time. How does this play?
We take accusations like that very seriously. If you are making comments in our forum that are perceived as racist, or even borderline racist, and especially if you are making racist PMs, you are taking a chance on having your forum account disabled. You are not guilty until proven innocent, but... what is an example of a comment you have made that others have perceived as racist that you say was not racist?

- Kathie
http://www.tapdancingresources.com/

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 5th, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Hot Lips

Quote:
Originally Posted by the california kid View Post
Not to be out of bounds here......But we are not talking about being a Derby Girl........Here?
No one should ever should attack someone here or there for who they are.......
You're not out of bounds -- I'm a queer Australian woman and all three attributes have gotten me attacked on this site, repeatedly, by posters who are still active here.

And yes, Kathie, I do report problematic posts. The only action I've ever personally witnessed was an email from a mod I received informing me that a turn of phrase that literally turns up in textbooks as an example of racist behaviour wasn't actually racist. It didn't fill me with confidence.

I'd love to see people can the even-in-jest national slurs. They're low-hanging fruit. Surely we can all be smarter and funnier than that?
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #28
Salamanda

Rufusprime you've been on my ignore list after the last private message you sent me well over a year ago and the only time I ever read your comments is if someone had quoted you in theirs. However if anyone was to post something that I found racially offensive or sexist to a degree that I felt it breached forum guidelines then I have reported the comment. Likewise with abusive pm's. It's then up to a moderator to decide what action to take.
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #29
the california kid

Default Hot Lips............................

Quote:
I'm a queer Australian woman
And this makes you a target.......I would think its because you dress funny........lol.......I have no problems with that...that's who you are......and NO ONE has the right to judge you for that......I think you would be a blast to hang out with myself.....And you are always welcome to....
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #30
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
a turn of phrase that literally turns up in textbooks as an example of racist behaviour wasn't actually racist.
Some comments are racist or sexist in every reasonable person's mind and some comments are not perceived as racist or sexist by everyone. You may think we should take a heavier hand in deleting certain comments and banning certain forum visitors, but if we took as heavy a hand in moderating as some of our forum visitors would have us do, the SkateLog Forum would be a very different kind of forum.

We do our best to make reasonable decisions, but we understand that not everyone will agree with us. We have a wide range of forum visitors, from many countries, ethnic groups, religions, sexual orientations, far left wing, far right wing, and everything in between, so naturally we will not all agree on what is acceptable, marginally acceptable, and completely unacceptable. But like I said, we do our best to make reasonable decisions. Believe me, moderating this forum is not as easy or straightforward a task as some people might think.

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #31
the california kid

Default I think it's about time for all of us to support Kathie

And see how things play out......and get the forum back on track.......I am sure she has a life beyond the forum that she would like to get back to........
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #32
Sidewinder
UFO

All these are personal gripes because they don't like a particular person or people for the most part.

Can we just get a sticky on how to put people on ignore and encourage people to use it? It REALLY helps and it's kind of difficult to do. Not like there is a button or something and bing, they are gone. It's like go into profile, find some crazy hidden button, hit that, do some little dance and then they are on ignore.

Hey, question too, sorry not on topic. There was a question a ways back since the sticky docs say you have to link images already on the web. Is it cool that we host some images on SLF? I think there is a max of 60 or 75 or thereabouts, but it's nice to have that feature. Just wanted to make sure we weren't abusing something that wasn't meant to be there.

Appreciate all the time and effort that goes into it Kathie. Y'all rock.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #33
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Is it cool that we host some images on SLF?
There are restrictions on uploading images, but if our system lets you upload images in certain cases, or up to a certain size, it's cool for you to do it. But generally you will have to host your images on other Web sites and link or hot link to them in SkateLog.

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #34
Sidewinder
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
There are restrictions on uploading images, but if our system lets you upload images in certain cases, or up to a certain size, it's cool for you to do it. But generally you will have to host your images on other Web sites and link or hot link to them in SkateLog.

- Kathie
Sounds good. That's what I do. There are a few that are location specific for example that are perfect being on SLF instead of Photobucket since only members who are logged in can see them.

Appreciate the response Kathie.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #35
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Since people are posting personal opinion on what they would like to see removed from the forums, I'd like to add what bothers me a lot on the forums.

There are people here who just love to argue to prove their point, and you see pages on pages of nothing to do with skating insults being thrown out. I understand that people feel a need to stand up for their belief, but when people make down right hateful and rude comments about a topic, it really bothers me.

My example: The Crazy Skates thread. People started bashing the company calling them all sorts of names and insults being thrown left and right. It is so easy to just say "I've used them before, and they have a long way to go to build their rep back up". And one response like that is enough!

Instead, it seemed like people had a vendetta against Crazy Skates and wanted every bit of it removed from the forums. And the same people constantly responded with the same banter through pages of "you suck!" over and over. Again, 1 civil post is enough. You've stated your opinion, let others voice theirs.

The for sale threads dont bother me because I can just not read something when I see its in the advertisement section. But when something is in the Quad/speed/derby/fitness... actually i read everything I can just to see whats going on. But when I get to something like that, I'm hesitant to even view those pages because i'm almost guaranteed to see a response to someone else's rate and rave.
Old September 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #36
okie

Exclamation I trying not to giggle,somewhat. BUT:

{message content deleted by forum moderator}

Okie, you have gone too far this time.

- Kathie
okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #37
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

The meaning of a communication is how it's perceived.

How it's intended doesn't count for beans.
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #38
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Swolltitan, I understand what you mean, but without a lot of those conversations nothing would have changed.
Plus there is a lot to that story.
Not one positive thing came from the responses provided by people. The only thing that changed was that more people spoke up stating the are using them.
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #39
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default if you have something to say, say it

Smartin, if you have something to contribute to this thread, please tell us what you are trying to say. We need to keep this thread on-topic.

- Kathie
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #40
Smartin
Cerebrally Dismembered

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
Not one positive thing came from the responses provided by people. The only thing that changed was that more people spoke up stating the are using them.
The perception of offensiveness is as diverse as the people on this forum.
Most of us are able to identify which derogatory terms should not be used to define people or groups. Those who can't make this differentiation probably need a friendly reminder.

While YOU may not see anything positive about any of the responses, Others may have gleaned some insight.

Perhaps the forum needs a more comprehensive word filter??
Smartin is offline   Reply With Quote