S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old September 6th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #61
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
We feel that way because we have so many regular followers, tens of thousands of them, both members and non-member fans. Also because the number of page views received by this forum has always increased over time, never decreased.

- Kathie
For these reasons alone the need for more mods is justified. I imagine that you and Jess both have lifes outside of this forum and cannot be here every waking second to clamp down on the offensive posts and bounce the offenders. Why not delegate some of that responsibility to other trust worthly members?

Keep in mind it is just a suggestion to help elevate some of the conflict before it gets off the ground.
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #62
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Buying and selling discussion moved to its own thread:

New Buying and Selling Forum Policies?
http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46176

- K
http://www.tapdancingresources.com/
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #63
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
the need for more mods is justified... why not delegate some of that responsibility to other trust worthly members?
All I can say to that is... be careful what you ask for...

- K
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #64
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Quote:

- K
What's the downside?
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #65
Larry_PA
When life was simple

Quote:
....you might get a obnoxious, zero tolerance, curmudgeon like myself.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #66
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
What's the downside?
For one thing, moderators can cause more problems then they solve. We would have to moderate the moderators. And I suspect our forum members would not be happy with results of adding a bunch of new mods. In any case, we've had this discussion before, so let's leave it at this... We know adding moderators is an option, so its not something we're unaware of. We may add moderators at some point but not in the near future.

- Kathie

Last edited by Kathie Fry; September 9th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #67
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Default You have been Missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
I used to come here nearly every day, and spend a lot of time reading threads. Now, I'm generally on and off the forum in a couple of minutes. It seems the members that I find most offensive, in almost all their posts, are the ones that never get banned (or a temporary ban, then come back and do the same thing). Yet other people get banned for less. I moderated a forum for years and we had a three strikes and you're out system. Depending what it was, it could be a no posting ban, temporary ban, or full ban. But we had a few moderators, with our one private forum so we could discuss problem members and keep track of who did what (including copies of their deleted posts etc).
Nobody wants to be on a forum when they constantly feel offended by a majority of the posts. I know a lot of people say "harden up, it's the Internet" but it's real people behind those computers with feelings.
Come back and post more. Isn't there a saying that goes something like, For evil to prosper, good people have to do NOTHING. If you are a good, helpful poster, get in there and post. If you don't have knowledge to share, just get in there and be nice. Don't engage the bozos and BE GOOD. That is the ONLY sure way to increase the quality around here.
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #68
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Quote:
Come back and post more. Isn't there a saying that goes something like, For evil to prosper, good people have to do NOTHING. If you are a good, helpful poster, get in there and post. If you don't have knowledge to share, just get in there and be nice. Don't engage the bozos and BE GOOD. That is the ONLY sure way to increase the quality around here.
Hey Rufus.. great post! Sometimes you surprise me LOL...

- Kathie
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #69
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Hey Rufus.. great post! Sometimes you surprise me LOL...

- Kathie
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #70
the california kid

Default I like to be a moderator..............

Any openings...........please
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #71
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormi View Post
Well there seems to be a lot of regular members who have "disappeared".
^^^THIS^^^

Kathie, you said in regards to adding moderators:

Quote:
We don't want to tamper with success. In general, Jessica and I feel our moderation and tone is just about right for this particular forum. We feel that way because we have so many regular followers, tens of thousands of them, both members and non-member fans. Also because the number of page views received by this forum has always increased over time, never decreased.

For those reasons, we are very careful about tweaking things in the SkateLog Forum.

- Kathie
This actually kind of scares me. Unless I'm reading you wrong (which is easy to do over the internet), you're basically saying that you're measuring the success of this forum on the amount of members on here. If so, what you're missing is that a lot of those new members are, like Rebel said, just getting on here to try to sell their old skate gear, sometimes for way crazy high prices, just to turn a quick buck and then we never hear from them again. And I don't mention the high prices some of these folk ask because I don't think anybody should make a profit off stuff sold here, but because it just shows that these people never bothered to look around the forum and learn anything about the stuff they're selling. They just figure if they list old skating stuff on a skating enthusiast forum then they can sell a set of Zingers for $300.

And then we also have new members join just to start fights and post nothing useful. Just obvious trolls trying p**s people off.

And then there's the new members that only a couple weeks after joining post that they came here looking for good info but are already tired of weeding through all the crap, arguing, and hatred on here just to find the good info. And then they leave (or start other arguments).

I'm normally a "people need thicker skin" kind of guy, but even if you have rhino hide some of the people here will still get to you after a while. I'm glad that it looks like two of the biggest offenders are gone, but I'm it's unfortunate that we've lost so many good forum members already because of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
I know this forum is limited for mods, but maybe it's time to start adding a few more to head these derailments off at the pass. I've been on plenty of forums where upstanding members are appointed mods and allowed to police. Why not have a mod for each sub-forum to help keep the peace? I'm sure you'd have plenty of volunteers.
I agree 100% with this. Kathie, I know you said that would make things more difficult because you and Jessica would have to moderate the moderators, but I'm not sure how this would make things more difficult. Instead of the two of you watching the whole place, all you have to watch is the other moderators. Having one extra set of eyes on each subforum I think would would be a great help. And, problems would get noticed and sorted quicker.

It's your place so you can change it whenever you want. Give it a go with a few more moderators and see how it works out. If it's good, keep it. If a few are good and a few are bad, replace the bad ones. If it totally sucks, go back to how it is now.
Old September 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #72
Hot Lips

Everything Iggy said.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #73
fierocious1

Thumbs up

Kathie,
I think ya'll have been doing a good job of policing things. There are always variables to deal with and opinions too, so you can't make everyone happy. Overall you may be slow to stop things but, you take care of business when it is needed. So I have no major complaints.
I buy stuff here and Ebay. I'm never going to buy and sell enough to make a living and I don't believe anyone else is either, except maybe Doc. But Doc is not just turning gear, he is full service.
Some people may need to grow some thicker skin, but I think most of us can control our keyboards so thicker skin would not be needed. The only gripe I have is information being put out there that is glaringly wrong or misleading. I know, hard to regulate due to being an opinion.
Other than that, I don't care who anyone is or what their orientation is, we are skaters sharing information to improve what we love, Skating....
Thanks for SLF
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #74
skaterdog

Please don't make any forum members into moderators. I can't think of a worse scenario. When this happens in a forum you end up getting a bunch of over aggressive censors deleting things they don't like.

Things are working well.
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #75
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Please don't make any forum members into moderators. I can't think of a worse scenario. When this happens in a forum you end up getting a bunch of over aggressive censors deleting things they don't like.
Depends who you pick TBH! (ie. not me! )
Old September 19th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #76
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:

Things are working well.
i would so delete this post!
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #77
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:

Things are working well.
That's why I mentioned it didn't have to be permanent. Ok I get it. You've been on forums where a few members were made mods and it didn't work out. Maybe that'd happen here, maybe not. Never gonna know if we don't try. If it works, great. If not, go back to how it is now or try something different.

I'll admit things in the Quad Forum (where I spend the majority of my time) seem to have smoothed out a little recently with the, we'll say departure, of a few problem members. There's still some left though. And it would make things a lot easier if there was an extra set of eyes checking each subforum here.
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #78
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
i would so delete this post!
Oh you are totally out of the running to be a mod.
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #79
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Oh you are totally out of the running to be a mod.
ban this man...BAN HIM NAO..i demand it.

elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #80
Larry_PA
When life was simple

For a long time, we had one moderator...now we have two. As a fiscal conservative, I believe in small government. Jess and Kathie do a fine job!!