S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    


Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name


Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #21
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
I don't agree that 'queer' is slang. Seriously, it's in my job description at one of the most elite universities in the world.
I believe you. Words do sometimes change and evolve from their original meaning, and that sounds like what is happening with the word "queer". It is going to have to get much more accepted into the mainstream society before I feel comfortable saying it though.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #22
Sidewinder
UFO
 
Sidewinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Museum of Art
Posts: 2,743
Default

In US vernacular, it's slang. The accepted term is gay or lesbian, the offensive is the F word and "queer" is slang for either, depending on context.

That is, by definition, slang.
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #23
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 4,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
I don't agree that 'queer' is slang. Seriously, it's in my job description at one of the most elite universities in the world.
My dictionary define queer as as a description as some THING that is odd. As in, "oh isn't that queer". Or as a derogatory description of a male homosexual. I'll go with the dictionary definition. You know, just like in Scrabble.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #24
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,162
Default

Hmm, I'm guessing everyone who is picking holes in this is not from within the LGBT community ... so basically, straight people telling queer people what to think of themselves? Personally I would consider someone from outside the community saying that word with a lot of suspicion, but would accept it happily from someone in the group in question.

Of course, not all LGBT people think as one borg mind, so some will not agree with it's use, but the vast majority either like it or (like me) are indifferent towards it.
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #25
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Hmm, I'm guessing everyone who is picking holes in this is not from within the LGBT community
Not so much a picking holes as posting the dictionary definitions of the word, and pointing out that the term "queer" has obviously not caught on with mainstream media. You want people not to be able to say it's a slur, then maybe you should get them to change the dictionaries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
... so basically, straight people telling queer people what to think of themselves?
We were discussing if it is proper terminology for a homosexual or a slur, but way to read a lot more into that than necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Personally I would consider someone from outside the community saying that word with a lot of suspicion, but would accept it happily from someone in the group in question.
That is one of the fallacies of this word then, isn't it? If, whether it is a slur or not depends on who says it. Unless your group was jealous of the black people who think it's ok to call each other the n word and want to appropriate a similar word for your group? Because that is the sort of asinine thing this is starting to sound like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Of course, not all LGBT people think as one borg mind, so some will not agree with it's use, but the vast majority either like it or (like me) are indifferent towards it.
The vast majority huh? Was there a big poll taken?
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #26
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It
 
swolltitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
The vast majority huh? Was there a big poll taken?
i can tell you that the few that i've known and worked with in all my jobs in Atlanta, GA would tell you that the poll would say No, you cant say it unless you are one.

I just avoid using words that can be taken the wrong way, and I'm all good!
__________________
Riedell 395 Redline, Ultimate III, Bones Swiss, Ultimate Weapons
Bont Jet, XTech IS, Bones Swiss, Hyper G Truth
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #27
Hot Lips
Senior Member
 
Hot Lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Austin, Texas - formerly Oz
Posts: 1,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
You want people not to be able to say it's a slur, then maybe you should get them to change the dictionaries.
The dictionaries are changing. The Oxford English Dictionary, for example, notes that the word 'queer' can be a neutral or positive adjective, and that it is the preferred adjective in some academic contexts.

I tried to edit this earlier, before I left school, but the forum seemed to eat it --
I'm not saying all this just to be contrary -- but I do think that a blanket ban is problematic here. I think it's really important to allow people to refer to themselves using their preferred adjectives. I don't plan on dying on the hill of 'I should be allowed to refer to everyone in my community in x way', but it means a lot to me to be able to define myself in this way. Plus also, what are y'all going to have me say if I get down in the off-topic forum and start talking about my job? 'I teach something I'm not allowed talk about here'? What are people going to think?!

Last edited by Hot Lips; September 7th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:37 AM   #28
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
The dictionaries are changing. The Oxford English Dictionary, for example, notes that the word 'queer' can be a neutral or positive adjective, and that it is the preferred adjective in some academic contexts.
One dictionary out of how many though? I know the meaning of words can change, and I believe you when you say that is the case, but I don't if the word queer is quite out there yet as being acceptable for John Q Public if you know what I mean.

Personally I don't care how you choose to define your own sexual orientation, but I don't think it should be a word that you have a problem hearing back from anyone and the comment below makes me wonder how unoffensive it actually is to some gay people. It gets awfully confusing as well. Most of us don't want to be offensive, but it would sure be nice if groups could pick a few words they wanted to be called and stick to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Personally I would consider someone from outside the community saying that word with a lot of suspicion, but would accept it happily from someone in the group in question.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #29
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lips View Post
I think it's really important to allow people to refer to themselves using their preferred adjectives. I don't plan on dying on the hill of 'I should be allowed to refer to everyone in my community in x way', but it means a lot to me to be able to define myself in this way.
I'm cool with that then. I know you can't get everyone in a group to agree on anything, but if you are cool with being called that, by anyone, to me that's fair enough.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #30
Hot Lips
Senior Member
 
Hot Lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Austin, Texas - formerly Oz
Posts: 1,739
Default

You know, many of them have this note. Merriam-Webster, which someone cited above and is the preferred dictionary in the States, shares its phrasing with the OED. So does the Macquarie dictionary, which is the other standard in Australia. I just got told that the dictionary built into my friend's new Macbook has the same note. I suspect this'll be true of many more dictionaries.

But even 'gay' isn't unproblematic. I certainly know lesbians who aren't wild about that term (two paragraph spiel about the history of why cut, in the interests of not being a bore).

When in doubt, ask!
Hot Lips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #31
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
That is one of the fallacies of this word then, isn't it? If, whether it is a slur or not depends on who says it. Unless your group was jealous of the black people who think it's ok to call each other the n word and want to appropriate a similar word for your group? Because that is the sort of asinine thing this is starting to sound like.

The vast majority huh? Was there a big poll taken?
No, thats normal for reclaimed words, and has happened outside of black and LGBT communities too.

Vast majority - I don't remember any LGBT person I have ever spoken to having a problem with the word queer. I have interacted with a large number of LGBT people scattered across the world, the word queer crops up frequently, including in the name of support and activist groups. Admittedly, I don't have much interaction with LGBT people over the age of about 40, though.

Gotta say, most of your statements so far fall under one of these, or one of these.
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #32
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
No, thats normal for reclaimed words, and has happened outside of black and LGBT communities too.
Such as...? I sure can't think of any words used to describe heterosexuals (or whites for that matter) that are only allowed to be used by straight caucasians only. Please do enlighten us...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Vast majority - I don't remember any LGBT person I have ever spoken to having a problem with the word queer.
My theory on that is, perhaps the word isn't problematic for them because they never got a group beatdown while they were being called a queer, as some of my gay contemporaries and elders did. Your generation seems to mainly know these experiences from movies, e.g. - "Boys don't Cry". I, on the other hand, am old enough that I actually know people who got to experience these historic events firsthand. So lucky you and your generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
I have interacted with a large number of LGBT people scattered across the world, the word queer crops up frequently, including in the name of support and activist groups. Admittedly, I don't have much interaction with LGBT people over the age of about 40, though.
Yeah, I can tell... I will share another thought with some of you younger people while we are on this charming subject - the older black people who actually got called the "n" word, are (in my experience) about the last ones who actually want to use it now. I suspect maybe the reason some of the younger people think these words are so hip is perhaps because they didn't live through too much of the degradation of these words the first time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Gotta say, most of your statements so far fall under one of these, or one of these.
Hmm, I would say the main message I am trying to get across here is - don't go around publicly calling yourself something that you don't want others to call you. Which I think should be just common sense, but you can try to compartmentalize it however you want.

I can respect Hot Lips decision to use that terminology that she chooses to describe herself as, because at least she doesn't seem like she is being two-faced about the word.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #33
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
Such as...? I sure can't think of any words used to describe heterosexuals (or whites for that matter) that are only allowed to be used by straight caucasians only. Please do enlighten us...
because the attributes of being white and straight are privileged, thus there's no need to reclaim any words. A less offensive example of a reclaimed word would be Geek, which was once used as a put-down of intelligent people who enjoy school but is now something that is seen in a positive light.

Quote:
My theory on that is, perhaps the word isn't problematic for them because they never got a group beatdown while they were being called a queer, as some of my gay contemporaries and elders did. Your generation seems to mainly know these experiences from movies, e.g. - "Boys don't Cry". I, on the other hand, am old enough that I actually know people who got to experience these historic events firsthand. So lucky you and your generation.
Really? I grew up in a Conservative Christian rural area and have scars on my face from being beaten. Two close LGBT friends committed suicide, and one aquiantance was strangled and then had her body set on fire. I was told not to attend the funeral of my (very dear) grandmother because of my 'life choices'. I am not legally allowed to marry the person I love where I live. Now, tell me again how easy my generation has things.

Quote:
Yeah, I can tell... I will share another thought with some of you younger people while we are on this charming subject - the older black people who actually got called the "n" word, are (in my experience) about the last ones who actually want to use it now. I suspect maybe the reason some of the younger people think these words are so hip is perhaps because they didn't live through too much of the degradation of these words the first time around. Hmm, I would say the main message I am trying to get across here is - don't go around publicly calling yourself something that you don't want others to call you. Which I think should be just common sense, but you can try to compartmentalize it however you want.
Interesting, since artists like Curtis Mayfield used the n word to great effect when addressing political issues through song. Also, you seem to think that racism doesn't exist any more

Quote:
I can respect Hot Lips decision to use that terminology that she chooses to describe herself as, because at least she doesn't seem like she is being two-faced about the word.
Uhuh, but when a group of people choose to collectively use it it's wrong? As I said before, support and advotacy organizations often refer to the term queer in their titles.
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #34
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
because the attributes of being white and straight are privileged, thus there's no need to reclaim any words. A less offensive example of a reclaimed word would be Geek, which was once used as a put-down of intelligent people who enjoy school but is now something that is seen in a positive light.
I see... so what does the fact that you see white and straight as being “privileged” have to do with you believing only gay/queer people should be allowed to use certain words? Geeks are still thought of as nerds. I have been called that because I work on computers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Really? I grew up in a Conservative Christian rural area and have scars on my face from being beaten. Two close LGBT friends committed suicide, and one aquiantance was strangled and then had her body set on fire. I was told not to attend the funeral of my (very dear) grandmother because of my 'life choices'. I am not legally allowed to marry the person I love where I live. Now, tell me again how easy my generation has things.
All I can tell you is almost everyone has some sort of scars and trauma in their lives. My male cousin was gang-raped in the mid-seventies for being gay. That sort of behavior wasn’t that all that unusual back in the day either, as society often seemed to think “teaching them a lesson” was the correct way to handle what they perceived as a sexual abnormality.


I know gay/queer rights have advanced. I have seen big changes in peoples attitudes and laws. Obviously not as fast as you would like, but if you don’t agree that your generation has had it any better than prior ones, I would suggest you expand your circle to include some older gay/queer people and get some background on their early history and what society was like for gay/queer people before you were born. If you are at all interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Interesting, since artists like Curtis Mayfield used the n word to great effect when addressing political issues through song. Also, you seem to think that racism doesn't exist any more
I don’t know who Curtis Mayfield is, but I don’t listen to artists who choose to express themselves with shock value like that. How dare you imply something as idiotic as saying I think racism no longer exists… you are really digging to try to find something to nail me on. I just don’t think the usuage of n word is at all constructive. I guess we will have to differ on that one. So go ahead and have fun with the word and maybe some day, you will figure out it's not so cool after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Uhuh, but when a group of people choose to collectively use it it's wrong? As I said before, support and advotacy organizations often refer to the term queer in their titles.

I did not say that that was wrong, now did I? Please quit trying to twist my words around. What I have a problem with is the hypocritical usage of words. If someone, or some organization, labels their sexuality as being queer, they should have no problems hearing that word back as an applicable description of them by anyone, otherwise it is pretty damn hypocritical since they are the ones choosing that label.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #35
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I see... so what does the fact that you see white and straight as being “privileged” have to do with you believing only gay/queer people should be allowed to use certain words? Geeks are still thought of as nerds. I have been called that because I work on computers.
Because thats the point of reclaiming the word, the community chooses to use it for itself, not so that people who are outside of that community can carry on being bigoted.

Quote:
All I can tell you is almost everyone has some sort of scars and trauma in their lives. My male cousin was gang-raped in the mid-seventies for being gay. That sort of behavior wasn’t that all that unusual back in the day either, as society often seemed to think “teaching them a lesson” was the correct way to handle what they perceived as a sexual abnormality.

I know gay/queer rights have advanced. I have seen big changes in peoples attitudes and laws. Obviously not as fast as you would like, but if you don’t agree that your generation has had it any better than prior ones, I would suggest you expand your circle to include some older gay/queer people and get some background on their early history and what society was like for gay/queer people before you were born. If you are at all interested.
I am well aware of the history of gay rights. I didn't say there had been no progress, what I was trying to imply was that dismissing my opinion (and those of my peers) based on how we have it "easy these days" is ridiculous. This wasn't a conest to see who is more opressed, it was an attempt to challenge your prejudices about LGBT people under the age of 50.

Quote:
I don’t know who Curtis Mayfield is, but I don’t listen to artists who choose to express themselves with shock value like that. How dare you imply something as idiotic as saying I think racism no longer exists… you are really digging to try to find something to nail me on. I just don’t think the usuage of n word is at all constructive. I guess we will have to differ on that one. So go ahead and have fun with the word and maybe some day, you will figure out it's not so cool after all...
No, you were implying that reclaiming of words wan't necessary because there is no more struggle for minority ethnicities. I do not, have never, and will never, use the n word - because it's not my right to do so and I have respect.

Quote:
I did not say that that was wrong, now did I? Please quit trying to twist my words around. What I have a problem with is the hypocritical usage of words. If someone, or some organization, labels their sexuality as being queer, they should have no problems hearing that word back as an applicable description of them by anyone, otherwise it is pretty damn hypocritical since they are the ones choosing that label.
No, you pretty much said it was ok for individuals to refer to themselves as queer, but not ok under any other circumstances. Again, you seem completely unable to comprehend the point of the use of reclaimed words, so perhaps we're at an impass.
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #36
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Because thats the point of reclaiming the word, the community chooses to use it for itself, not so that people who are outside of that community can carry on being bigoted.
I don't agree with that logic. If some of you are dead set on using that word, but excluding people outside the gay community from using it, then to me, it is still a slur, and should be used exclusively inside the gay communtiy and not on a public forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
I am well aware of the history of gay rights. I didn't say there had been no progress, what I was trying to imply was that dismissing my opinion (and those of my peers) based on how we have it "easy these days" is ridiculous. This wasn't a conest to see who is more opressed, it was an attempt to challenge your prejudices about LGBT people under the age of 50.
I am honestly glad to hear that. When you said and I quote -"I don't remember any LGBT person I have ever spoken to having a problem with the word queer." and "Admittedly, I don't have much interaction with LGBT people over the age of about 40, though." Statements like that had me wondering if the reason no one objected was because your associates were all the young trendy hipster types. FYI - I checked with 3 gay people yesterday (all over 40) and none of them liked the word queer. One said, and I quote, "If they want to reclaim that word, then tell them to reclaim it for themselves only." That might be due to an age thing, or even a regional thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
No, you were implying that reclaiming of words wan't necessary because there is no more struggle for minority ethnicities. I do not, have never, and will never, use the n word - because it's not my right to do so and I have respect.
Oh, I see what you are doing - the strawman attack from your poster! (Misrepresenting someone's argument to make it easier to attack!) That might be your instruction manual for how to debate, but that old $hit is not going to float past me!

Never, ever did I say or imply that "reclaiming of words wan't necessary because there is no more struggle for minority ethnicities" Once again, I find you are trying to put words in my mouth. Please quote where you think I said words to that effect (or implied it) instead of pulling it out of ...thin air or... wherever you are getting it from.

Well, I am glad at least you don't say that word, even if you admittedly have no problem listening to it. It's nobody's right IMO. It sounds even worse to me when black people say that than whites, and personally I have never heard an educated, intelligent black person talk like that. If they say that word, they have just shown their own ignorance IMO, likewise with whites who use it. Most entertainers are all about the money, so please don't anyone quote me what some moron like Lil Wayne says (just as an example) of how it's proper to act. The sad thing is that the general public often takes cues about what is acceptable behavior from these celebrities who are mainly doing it for the money and partially doing it out of ignorance. What is happening is that black children are going to grow up thinking of themselves as the n word. After so many people's lives were laid on the altar of the Civil Rights Movement - some of the more ignorant black people would have their race to go back to being the n word? That's a sad joke, and I would bet money the KKK is probably laughing their butts off at that one. Mission accomplished for them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
No, you pretty much said it was ok for individuals to refer to themselves as queer, but not ok under any other circumstances. Again, you seem completely unable to comprehend the point of the use of reclaimed words, so perhaps we're at an impass.
Once again, where did I say this - "you pretty much said it was ok for individuals to refer to themselves as queer, but not ok under any other circumstances" ??? I only disagree with reclaiming this word if you or your group (depending on which is being referred to) is not going to own the word. Otherwise, it is hypocritical IMO.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #37
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
I don't agree with that logic. If some of you are dead set on using that word, but excluding people outside the gay community from using it, then to me, it is still a slur, and should be used exclusively inside the gay communtiy and not on a public forum.
How exactly is it a slur if the person/people on the receiving end are also on the giving end of a word?

Quote:
I am honestly glad to hear that. When you said and I quote -"I don't remember any LGBT person I have ever spoken to having a problem with the word queer." and "Admittedly, I don't have much interaction with LGBT people over the age of about 40, though." Statements like that had me wondering if the reason no one objected was because your associates were all the young trendy hipster types. FYI - I checked with 3 gay people yesterday (all over 40) and none of them liked the word queer. One said, and I quote, "If they want to reclaim that word, then tell them to reclaim it for themselves only." That might be due to an age thing, or even a regional thing.
I don't know any young hipsters. I wonder if any hipsters find the term hipster offensive. In reply to your checking of older gay people, you might want to read this, which succinctly sums up the word's use in the modern world.

Quote:
Never, ever did I say or imply that "reclaiming of words wan't necessary because there is no more struggle for minority ethnicities" Once again, I find you are trying to put words in my mouth. Please quote where you think I said words to that effect (or implied it) instead of pulling it out of ...thin air or... wherever you are getting it from.
I got it from this sentence of yours:

Quote:
I suspect maybe the reason some of the younger people think these words are so hip is perhaps because they didn't live through too much of the degradation of these words the first time around.
...

Quote:
... Most entertainers are all about the money, so please don't anyone quote me what some moron like Lil Wayne says (just as an example) of how it's proper to act.
Just so we're clear, I mention Curtis Mayfield, and you mention Lil Wayne. Slightly different artists there. Also, yes, it's their right - they can choose to use it, or choose not to use it, it's not my place to dictate either way.

Quote:
Once again, where did I say this - "you pretty much said it was ok for individuals to refer to themselves as queer, but not ok under any other circumstances" ??? I only disagree with reclaiming this word if you or your group (depending on which is being referred to) is not going to own the word. Otherwise, it is hypocritical IMO.
I was thinking of this:

Quote:
Hmm, I would say the main message I am trying to get across here is - don't go around publicly calling yourself something that you don't want others to call you. Which I think should be just common sense, but you can try to compartmentalize it however you want.

I can respect Hot Lips decision to use that terminology that she chooses to describe herself as, because at least she doesn't seem like she is being two-faced about the word.
...

You know what the funny thing is? I don't even like the word. But I'll be damned if a straight person gets to tell me how to talk about myself or people like me.
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #38
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
How exactly is it a slur if the person/people on the receiving end are also on the giving end of a word?
So, you are saying if I say all women are a bunch of b*tches, wh*res, and worse... it's not a slur because I myself am woman? I have to say that is pretty flawed and questionable logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
I don't know any young hipsters. I wonder if any hipsters find the term hipster offensive.
I suppose if they did, they would just say would say they weren't hipsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
In reply to your checking of older gay people, you might want to read this, which succinctly sums up the word's use in the modern world.
Hmm, now I wonder if any gay people still find the term queer offensive (regardless of what Wikipedia thinks) ... oh wait, I already know the answer to that because I asked some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
"you pretty much said it was ok for individuals to refer to themselves as queer, but not ok under any other circumstances".
I said ... Hmm, I would say the main message I am trying to get across here is - don't go around publicly calling yourself something that you don't want others to call you. Which I think should be just common sense, but you can try to compartmentalize it however you want.

and I also said… I can respect Hot Lips decision to use that terminology that she chooses to describe herself as, because at least she doesn't seem like she is being two-faced about the word.

And I am saying… I did not say that it wasn’t ok under any other circumstances, what I said was (for about the 3rd time ) that if a person or a group of people want to label themselves or their group as queer, then they should not have a problem hearing that word back as a description, because that is the labeling of themselves or name of their group is of their own choosing. I hope for your sake that you are just trying to wear me down, and that you really are able to tell that there is a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Just so we're clear, I mention Curtis Mayfield, and you mention Lil Wayne. Slightly different artists there. Also, yes, it's their right - they can choose to use it, or choose not to use it, it's not my place to dictate either way. "
Yes they are different people, but I am not familiar with this Mayfield so I will just have to go another ignorant person who publicly likes to use the n word. We shall have to disagree on whether calling the whole black race the n word is their “right”. Again, it goes back to the analogy of - what I choose to call all woman b*tches or wh*res? Which would include you BTW. So do you think that falls under my rights, or would you consider it an insulting slur?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
You know what the funny thing is? I don't even like the word. But I'll be damned if a straight person gets to tell me how to talk about myself or people like me.
That might be about the only thing we have in common, I am not too keen on the word queer either. But I will be damned if you are entitled to come on a public forum and tell me that you or anyone else, by virtue of their sexuality or race, is entitled to use words I am not.

Riddle me this one, somebody, how the heck can you “reclaim” a word that was never the gay community’s word to begin with? The term queer was a the straight person’s word used to insult the gay people, just as the n word was the non-black person’s word used to insult black people. Wouldn’t a better word be reappropriation?
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #39
HK47
Roll Player
 
HK47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Somewhere near London
Posts: 4,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dec8rSk8r View Post
So, you are saying if I say all women are a bunch of b*tches, wh*res, and worse... it's not a slur because I myself am woman?
I take it you've not heard of the Slut Walks, or ever heard a roller derby skater say "we're badass bitches"?

Quote:
Hmm, now I wonder if any gay people still find the term queer offensive (regardless of what Wikipedia thinks) ... oh wait, I already know the answer to that because I asked some.
Yes, but the gay people you know are not here. It's just you, a straight person, telling other people what gay/queer people find offensive, while a couple of gay/queer people say they don't.

Quote:
I did not say that it wasn’t ok under any other circumstances, what I said was (for about the 3rd time ) that if a person or a group of people want to label themselves or their group as queer, then they should not have a problem hearing that word back as a description, because that is the labeling of themselves or name of their group is of their own choosing. I hope for your sake that you are just trying to wear me down, and that you really are able to tell that there is a difference.
It's all in the intent of the statement as to whether the word queer is found offensive by most / many queer people. Your position on this appears to have changed over the course of the conversation.

Quote:
... I will just have to go another ignorant person ...
Fortunately, I have this thing called Google that lets me find pertinent things - Link. Maybe you should educate yourself about at least one Black musician.

Quote:
Riddle me this one, somebody, how the heck can you “reclaim” a word that was never the gay community’s word to begin with? The term queer was a the straight person’s word used to insult the gay people, just as the n word was the non-black person’s word used to insult black people. Wouldn’t a better word be reappropriation?
Reappropriation is a really long word, common use I have seen when referring to the use of previous insults as useable words is that it's reclaimed, but for the sake of this discussion I'd consider them interchangeable.
__________________
"You guys better git some HEAD TRANSPLANTS QUICK! " ~ Okie
HK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #40
Dec8rSk8r
Senior Member
 
Dec8rSk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
I take it you've not heard of the Slut Walks, or ever heard a roller derby skater say "we're badass bitches"?
Well yes, I actually have but you didn't answer the question. Let me put it even more crudely, if I called all other women the c word, is that a slur? As an individual woman, I would have to take it as such, expecially from a public forum. I am trying to get you to see outside your narrow box, but that isn't working too well...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Yes, but the gay people you know are not here. It's just you, a straight person, telling other people what gay/queer people find offensive, while a couple of gay/queer people say they don't.
One did offer to come on here, but I thought that might be a bit excessive just for the purpose of this discussion as she isn't interested in skating. Besides, it really shouldn't be a huge stretch of the imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
It's all in the intent of the statement as to whether the word queer is found offensive by most / many queer people. Your position on this appears to have changed over the course of the conversation..
That can certain happen when someone has an open mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Fortunately, I have this thing called Google that lets me find pertinent things - Link. Maybe you should educate yourself about at least one Black musician.
Oh, so you want to tell someone who has pretty much told you that they are in the IT field about a "thing called Google." Now it appears you are just trying to be insulting. About the music, you have no idea what my musical education has been, other than I don't know/care about this Mayfield guy. I am not going to bother to enlighten you on that, because I don't think it would be pertainent to the conversation even if I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Reappropriation is a really long word, common use I have seen when referring to the use of previous insults as useable words is that it's reclaimed, but for the sake of this discussion I'd consider them interchangeable.
Well, we have already used a lot of "virtual ink" in this discussion anyway, so to my mind you might as well type out the longer, correct terminology for what you are talking about, instead of a word that is obviously a misnomer.

I don't know about you, but I think I am getting to the point where I feel I am about done here. While it's clear we aren't going to come to any sort of agreement, perhaps we have given each other (or someone reading) a little food for thought.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.