S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Buying Skates
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Buying Skates Tips and advice about buying aggressive skates plus information and opinions about all of the different aggressive skate models.

Old July 12th, 2018, 07:08 PM   #1
CancunManny

Default 2016 K2 Unnatural break in period

Hello everyone! Newbie here, will post more about me soon, but at the moment I am a bit sad/concerned with my K2 Unnaturals.

My feet, are just under 26cm long. If I put a straight edge on the rear and another on the front, barely touching I measure right at 26cm, this would be a size 8 in USA.

Most of the shoes I purchase are size 9 in USA which would be 27cm. I have wide feet so I guess that is why I usually have to go with size 9. I did lots of reading on the K2 unnaturals, and many owners stated they run a bit big, they suggest people buy half or even a full size smaller.

I got a GREAT deal on a pair sized 8.5 USA. Figured it might be a bit too big for me but should be ok. Well now that I have the skates I put them on and they fill snug not tight. However after about 10 to 15 minutes my feet start hurting pretty bad, even if I am not skating. The pain is not in any one particular place, like I can't say it feels very tight at a specific spot. My whole foot starts hurting and eventually it goes numb. I should also add that about 10 years ago when I moved to Cancun I stopped using regular shoes. I wear croc sandals and croc rubber shoes 98% of the time. In the last 10 years I've used "closed" shoes less than 30 times, so my feet are not used to being "squeezed" inside of shoes.

I even took the souls of the shoes out and they do seem to cover my whole foot with about 1.5 cm to spare on the front end. (Could send pictures if it would help me get some feedback).

Last Tuesday I spent about 2 hours skating (I don't know how to skate). I would skate about 15 to 20 minutes until the pain got too bad. I would then sit down, take the skates off for about 5 to 10 minutes and once the pain and numbness went away I would put them back on and do another 15 to 20 minutes session. After about an hour of doing this my right foot seems to have stabilized, it basically stop hurting. So for about the last hour it was just my left foot that I would take the sake off for some minutes then back on.

So what do you guys think? All together I've only used my skates about 6 to 7 hours tops, and even though I got them "used" they are pretty much brand new still. Do you guys think my issues will go away once the boots get broken into a bit more, or should I stop torturing my feet and get a larger pair?
CancunManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 08:13 AM   #2
Oicusk82huh

Don't torture yourself, go with a bigger size. Skating sizes are horrible, never the same in any two brands! Do they have a comfortable lining? Maybe the boots are just not comfortable boots. I got the K2 Midtown and was blown away by how garbage they were. I always vouched for K2's in the past. My old Fatty Pro's were like putting on a comfortable slipper, the liner was like a dream. I wonder if K2's quality went downhill?

So, how does that liner feel? If it's comfortable and cushy, then maybe you need the next size. If it has poor lining and insole, then maybe you should try another model. Being that you have a wide foot, I'd probably recommend the size 9.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2018, 04:50 AM   #3
CancunManny

Thank you Oicusk for your comment. This is my very first set of rollerblades/skates so I have little to compare it to. The skates look well made, but my opinion is not really worth much again since I have nothing really to compare to.

I was considering following your advice and just start saving up for a new pair of skates, but I was a bit disappointed because my budget wouldn't allow me to buy a good quality skate as the K2 unnaturals seem to be. I got them used for little over $100 here in Cancun, but they looked pretty much brand new when I got them, the insides even smelled like new so I guess the previous owner used them less than 5 times.

Being a bit more stubborn I kept researching and figured out I had a few issues going on at the same time. My biggest concern was that even if I just put the skates on and laid in bed with them my feet would start hurting, so my pain wasn't used to my "unused" feet muscles getting used to working. So following some online tips I put my skates on with 3 pair of socks and tightened them up as much as I could. I then got a hair blow dryer and kept heating up the sides. I did two one hour sessions and it seems they finally gave in! I can now wear my skates for extended periods of time (not skating) without them bothering me at all.

When I do skate, after about 30 to 40 minutes my feet start hurting, but it is a different type of discomfort I feel now, which seems to be the normal pain of getting used to skating.

It seems the issue was my wide feet that didn't have enough room in the boot. With the heat stretch there seems to be enough room now. I am very happy now since it seems I got the perfect size for me. Seems size 8 would have definitely been too small for me, but size 9 or 9.5 would have felt better at first but eventually as the boots expanded a bit my foot would have some room in the boot to slide back and forth a bit.
CancunManny is offline   Reply With Quote