S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

View Poll Results: Should we stand in protest against the foreign skaters?
Yes! We can all show that they are not welcome with or without the USARS approval! 4 13.79%
Yes, but I don't want to hurt those skaters feelings. 6 20.69%
It doesn't bother me if they skate our National Championships. 7 24.14%
No, absolutely not. They work as hard as our skaters to be there. 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #121
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by starturtle View Post
Where are they? I'm not even talking about the regular Joe I'm talking about the skaters?? Are they just hanging out at their hotel? Are they at a practice rink ... ALL DAY?? I'm sorry but you need only one strong skating session a day when you are at Nationals, maybe two if you have a private practice.
But, and this is a joke, the Ice Box arena was such a wonderful place to be. We couldn't tear ourselves away from our new friends, the flies! lol

Speaking truthfully, we come in two hours behind then have to get up at 4am (2 to us) to get there by 6am (4 to us). By time she is done skating we need a nap. Then... can't go that night because we have to be up at 4am the next night. The early morning stuff is a killer. lol
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #122
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

Default Glad

[QUOTE=Mom2Skaters;188071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skater.mom View Post

I know Derek Leonard will chat with the kids (and their moms too!). lol He has watched Caitlin skate before, though I'm not sure the intent was to see her specifically or not. Maybe he was watching "Candice's skater", but he was there watching.

Crystal Rosebourough (if I spelled that right) skated JWC Singles before she was injured (not sure what her plans are now) but she has been great support for my daughter. Crystal even gave her a card wishing her good luck at her first Regionals. And Crystal was there at nationals this year but didn't skate.

And my daughter was congratulated by Eduardo Gravina and Gustavo de Melo after she got 4th in Juvenile A Freestyle. That was really nice of them even if my daughter didn't know Eduardo. She knew Gustavo was Ashley's partner.

So... some of them are connecting with the little ones. And even Kadu will congratulate the winners. So, that is good coming from a coach of World Class skaters.
I am very glad that you've had such wonderful experiences with the JWC and WC skaters for your daughter.
I'm also very glad some are making the connection. I know personally that noone ever said anything in prior years to Joey, maybe because he wasn't on the podium, and it hurt his feelings. He also had to be reminded, ALOT, about what he was working for as he didn't have that drive some kids come by naturally. He needed a mentor. When he's in that position, I can only pray that I raised a young man who does the same for young skaters. It DOES come from the parents and coaches. Kadu sets a wonderful example for his skaters by encouraging young skaters. Now it's up to us, parents of the up and coming, to pass the knowledge and make sure it continues.
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #123
starturtle

I don't think its completely the older skaters responsibility to go up to every young skater but I do think they should be approachable and take time out if the kids come up to them.
starturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 07:17 PM   #124
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by starturtle View Post
I don't think its completely the older skaters responsibility to go up to every young skater but I do think they should be approachable and take time out if the kids come up to them.
I agree. With what we go through with just my daughter skating, there is a lot of work involved. I am sure the JWC/WC skaters have a ton more on their plate. Though that fact makes it very nice when they do say, "Congrats".
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #125
LinP

We stayed at Nationals for ten days, several more than we needed to be there, so that we could support the other skaters from our club. These are the families who support us so strongly in fundraising and in every other way, with the demands of World Class skating. We were at the arena for almost every one of their events, and at the Sweat Box to support their practices, and believe me that left no time for sight seeing! I know that my son talks to everyone at nationals who is in his path, and congratulates many of the kids. I know there were very few top skaters who spoke to him until he started winning, so he's very aware of how it feels to be "invisible" to your "idols". I must admit, however, that at nearly seventeen, most of his off-duty attention goes to the lovely young ladies who outnumber him by a great margin! He's made friends from all around the country and the world through skating, but remember, he is sixteen!

I remember his first nationals, only three years ago believe it or not, he nearly fainted because we talked to Heather Menard when she and Kyle were selling 50/50 tickets in the arena at Pensacola. He's still got a crush on her, and found dance skating much more appealing after meeting her. Although he'll never take her away from Kyle (hehe), he had the dream of dancing at a top level. I do think that sometimes the top skaters don't seem so outgoing because they are like everyone else, not so extroverted off the rink floor and not wanting to come across as cockey. By all means tell your kids to approach the skaters they admire and let them know that you appreciate what they do to elevate skating to the elite level. With the right set of circumstances, your kids may be the next set of WC skaters to represent.

Lin P
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #126
ckuz
Surgeon Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Skaters View Post
I agree. With what we go through with just my daughter skating, there is a lot of work involved. I am sure the JWC/WC skaters have a ton more on their plate. Though that fact makes it very nice when they do say, "Congrats".
i was reading thru and just had 2 add a little story. back in '84 i skated 4 kirk and rita finnegan. rita's brother paul coached me in singles that year and i got 2nd in primary. they awarded primary in the afternoon right before wc practice and tina gave me a big congrats hug and kiss. do u know what a congrats hug and kiss from tina kneisley was like 4 a 9 year old boy?! so yes congrats from wc skaters especially if they're right there does wonders
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #127
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

Default Glad

Glad to see someone FINALLY understands what I was saying!!!!

I can't tell you how THRILLED Joey was that Derek came over to talk to him after such a disappointing program. It helped him accept his disappointment so much better. And the fact that even though he had a bad program, Derek saw potential and pointed out all the good was beyond the call!!!

I never said WC skaters should be the 1st to make contact with younger skaters. I believe what I said was "I" made contact with Derek and pointed him in Joey's direction. Parents should support their kids in any way they can. Me telling Joey he did well is "expected". But someone ELITE and FIRST in Men's WC Freestyle doing it and saying exactly what Reanon, Robyn and I all said made bells go off and fireworks fly high!!! Amazing, that's the only way to describe the transition in my son now!!!

My POINT to all this is....
Parents, coaches, mentors: Encourage the up and coming! Teach those skaters to speak out for our sport. Teach young skaters that it's to their benefit to "adopt" younger skaters.

Someday, those "younger" skaters will be the Elite, or even the big dog in their own rink. We need to improve relations with everyone in this sport. That means teaching the next generation to encourage the younger people. Then it can carry over and be the way of things for generations to come.
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #128
LinP

Quote:
Glad to see someone FINALLY understands what I was saying!!!!

I can't tell you how THRILLED Joey was that Derek came over to talk to him after such a disappointing program. It helped him accept his disappointment so much better. And the fact that even though he had a bad program, Derek saw potential and pointed out all the good was beyond the call!!!

I never said WC skaters should be the 1st to make contact with younger skaters. I believe what I said was "I" made contact with Derek and pointed him in Joey's direction. Parents should support their kids in any way they can. Me telling Joey he did well is "expected". But someone ELITE and FIRST in Men's WC Freestyle doing it and saying exactly what Reanon, Robyn and I all said made bells go off and fireworks fly high!!! Amazing, that's the only way to describe the transition in my son now!!!

My POINT to all this is....
Parents, coaches, mentors: Encourage the up and coming! Teach those skaters to speak out for our sport. Teach young skaters that it's to their benefit to "adopt" younger skaters.

Someday, those "younger" skaters will be the Elite, or even the big dog in their own rink. We need to improve relations with everyone in this sport. That means teaching the next generation to encourage the younger people. Then it can carry over and be the way of things for generations to come.

Annette, you expressed yourself perfectly!
Lin P
Old August 19th, 2008, 02:11 AM   #129
rwsz

i think the world class skaters and older premiere and elite skaters have always supported the kids. i seen it for years to be honest and they come to watch them skate when they could, some would be there for every club member even though their coach told them they needed to rest. no wonder he won and his partner won nationals and worlds more then once. i hope it continues forever that the higher skaters recognize and encourage the younger skaters.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #130
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

When I skated for the RIFSC (Rhode Island Figure Skating Club) we were asked to help out the younger club skaters along with just the session skaters. This continued when I coached and I am sure that most club skaters would be more than willing to help out where needed. Don’t forget…….we were all beginners at one time and like me, if it were not for a club skater helping me, I may have taken up politics.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #131
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

[QUOTE=skater.mom;187811]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsologolds View Post
To me, Invitationals is to build the confidence of the up and comming skater. It gives that "greener" skater to compete in a smaller scale, to get their feet wet,perform for spectators , and meet other skaters in the community !

While Elite skaters should also attend, to set a role model and to support and offer encouragment to these younger skaters. This goes back to my prior post as to, nationals being more intergrated with WC and youth.

I'm NOT Joey bashing here (my son's name too, BTW)....but I have a question for you:

When's the last time you made a real connection with the younger skaters?
Have you "adopted" a "green" skater to encourage?

Again, I'm seriously not bashing you....I just want to know how many skaters on the WC Team actually TALK to young skaters...especially the boys who have SUCH a hard time with peer pressure and the stigma of being a skater.
None taken...

Actually, to answer your question...

I teach the beginner class at our rink. I have 20 or so kids on average.

I also am there at EVERY invitational, skating ALONE, cheering on the "green" skaters... anyone in my region could tell you, that I am extremely supportive of all skaters.

So, when you ask me "when was the last time you encouraged a "green" skater... i will tell you...everyday I can.

Ask Rick about how many times I got thrown to the side of the rink because the elite skaters were more important ....and how many times i kept trying to catch up.... and how i never gave up.... still haven't given up....

"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you"

"thought transcends matter"
wcsologolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #132
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

[QUOTE=Mom2Skaters;188071]
Quote:

Originally Posted by wcsologolds
Again, I'm seriously not bashing you....I just want to know how many skaters on the WC Team actually TALK to young skaters...especially the boys who have SUCH a hard time with peer pressure and the stigma of being a skater.

I know Derek Leonard will chat with the kids (and their moms too!). lol He has watched Caitlin skate before, though I'm not sure the intent was to see her specifically or not. Maybe he was watching "Candice's skater", but he was there watching.

Crystal Rosebourough (if I spelled that right) skated JWC Singles before she was injured (not sure what her plans are now) but she has been great support for my daughter. Crystal even gave her a card wishing her good luck at her first Regionals. And Crystal was there at nationals this year but didn't skate.

And my daughter was congratulated by Eduardo Gravina and Gustavo de Melo after she got 4th in Juvenile A Freestyle. That was really nice of them even if my daughter didn't know Eduardo. She knew Gustavo was Ashley's partner.

So... some of them are connecting with the little ones. And even Kadu will congratulate the winners. So, that is good coming from a coach of World Class skaters.
this is a response from you, on a quote that says is mine....but where did you get that quote ? I didnt write that......

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #133
rwsz

Joey dont you know when you were pushed aside for others as we have seen skaters over the years for the very elites. to keep the desire and to move on is commendable.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:25 AM   #134
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post

your son and you should feel free to approach wc skaters and older skaters for that matter as there isnt many wc yet, approach the jwc and the older skaters as they have a lot more to offer then you realize.

that actually brings up a good point.....

I know that when im in the pit, I say good luck,great skate and congrats as much as possible......

But, i do like Ricks comment about a "green" skater to approach a elite skater and ask questions and congratulate and stuff.... I can count very few parents or younger skaters that have gone out of their way, to ask a question.

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:30 AM   #135
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

Quote:
Joey dont you know when you were pushed aside for others as we have seen skaters over the years for the very elites. to keep the desire and to move on is commendable.

thank Rick... some of these "green" parents dont know what your son and I went through to stay in this sport either. but Sailor,jim,marylu,reanon and others know,and could also share their experiences.... somehow people come up with the notion that its more difficult now and for all the reasons... it was just as difficult or more so with 80 active skaters in a club, and 30-40 at a typical practice session.... it was hunt or be hunted.... you know what Im saying Rick...

And just so everyone knows.. i wasnt using "green" parents as a negative thing..... seeing how i am often mis-interpreted because i cant type like I speak....

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:38 AM   #136
rwsz

Quote:
thank Rick... some of these "green" parents dont know what your son and I went through to stay in this sport either. but Sailor,jim,marylu,reanon and others know,and could also share their experiences.... somehow people come up with the notion that its more difficult now and for all the reasons... it was just as difficult or more so with 80 active skaters in a club, and 30-40 at a typical practice session.... it was hunt or be hunted.... you know what Im saying Rick...

And just so everyone knows.. i wasnt using "green" parents as a negative thing..... seeing how i am often mis-interpreted because i cant type like I speak....

green parents, i understand lol i didnt take it negatively myself.

yes you and Derick know what its like and to take a back seat at times. but you both persuavered and did well, now your on the world team as a solo skater and maybe as a team soon. didnt you go to worlds once on the precision team. i guess derick wont ever make the team now hes retired but it was a lot of good years and good people we met over the years and it was worth it. yes practice sessions were unbelievable with that many skaters and how well it went. good thing it was a large floor lol.

skating is a learning curve for skaters and parents as well. its important for the parents not to get to caught up in it and to push the kids away from it and to be patient. this is one sport where it takes a lot of patience and desire and give and take. kind of like a marriage lol.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #137
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

[QUOTE=rwsz;188929]green parents, i understand lol i didnt take it negatively myself.

yes you and Derick know what its like and to take a back seat at times. but you both persuavered and did well, now your on the world team as a solo skater and maybe as a team soon. didnt you go to worlds once on the precision team. i guess derick wont ever make the team now hes retired but it was a lot of good years and good people we met over the years and it was worth it. yes practice sessions were unbelievable with that many skaters and how well it went. good thing it was a large floor lol.

Me: yeah.... but Derek could always come back and skate solo dance for me....

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #138
rwsz

[QUOTE=wcsologolds;188931]
Quote:
green parents, i understand lol i didnt take it negatively myself.

Me: yeah.... but Derek could always come back and skate solo dance for me....

lol Derick solo dance come on now,,,,,,he is still young enough to do wc singles if he wanted to, but he would have to work hard and fix some things. we watched some old dvds of him the other day and he said now i know what you were talking about lol.
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM   #139
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

[QUOTE=rwsz;188933]
Quote:

lol Derick solo dance come on now,,,,,,he is still young enough to do wc singles if he wanted to, but he would have to work hard and fix some things. we watched some old dvds of him the other day and he said now i know what you were talking about lol.

if he realizes it now, maybe it is time for a comeback....

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #140
rwsz

[QUOTE=wcsologolds;188934]
Quote:

if he realizes it now, maybe it is time for a comeback....

could be lol,,,only time will tell