S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #1
jojoman

Default think i give up slalom

laern and skating for three month

now learning backware skating andpowersilde

but i am so frustrature
i could not do a proper snake at all.

i think i give up slalom.
not easy for an old man
jojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Learn a different trick, then come back to the snake.
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
InlineLeo

Though I think you expect "cheer up man and keep on trying with slalom as it's great sports for any age", I'll say you have to learn basic skating first (like skating backwards, powerslide) and then switch back to slalom. And before learning snake you should have mastered criss-cross.
InlineLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #4
Infinity
Bayside Team Slalom

Depends on what yur goals are. We have people here slalom for 3 years and still learning backward nelson.

Slalom is just fun trying to learn =)
Old October 14th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
KryptoRon

I agree with all the above.
I think it's most important to be able to skate normally and have it feel as normal as walking.
Get that down right and you'll be able to snake/crisscross easy after that.
Practice, practice and practice .

~~~Ron
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #6
jojoman

thks for all the responses,
will take tiny steps.....

for normal skating, i can do T-stop on my strong leg, weak leg still praticing.

but i can do lunge stop on both leg

I can silde a little on backward skating

what i really want to master is edge stop

http://www.youtube.com/SkatelineScho.../8/BC4QVsf7XU0

the guy in the video is teaching my class this sat on mohawk, backware skating and backward power silde.

he is an inline hockey player.

will try criss cross then.

thanks again.
Old October 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
KryptoRon

The only stops I can do are the T-stop (only in 1 way) and the spin stop.
Always thought the powerslides looked really stupid... As if it's extremely difficult to stop, also always thought of powerslides as being the way to stop for speedskating, which I've never done.
I seem to notice that you think backward skating is really important to you. But in fact it's not.
1. Forward skating (straight forward but also turns).
2. 1 or 2 different stops.
3. More forward skating until it feels as normal as walking.
4. If you go into slalom at this point, start with the forward moving basics.
- Fish (first)
- Crisscross (second)
- Snake (third)
5. Backward skating.

That is what I'd recommend to people that are new to skating/slalom.
Of course you can try backward skating at some earlier steps, but don't expect it to go all smooth.

~~~Ron
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #8
InlineLeo

Powerslides are usually included in all basic courses where I live. They are used as introduction to slides/shuffles. I dislike them because they are very easy to perform in a way the skater thinks they're fine, while they're not. That is because it's a backwards slide, it involves controlling the trajectory while moving backwards. That's unlike basic forward slides (soul/acid) which are harder for beginner, but at least they let him see if he's not sliding straightly or not putting the sliding skate in the right position.
And powerslides are not used in speedskating, that would cost them a lot with all these prices for 100mm wheels. They use stepovers mostly. Downhill skaters use parallel slides.
InlineLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #9
GregT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoman View Post
i think i give up slalom.
not easy for an old man
Dude. If I recall, you are younger than I was when I started. So I don't wanna hear it.

If snake is frustrating you, you can always move onto something else. A good snake is much harder to do than it looks, and it will tire you out quickly while you are learning.

I suggest that, whatever trick you practice, concentrate on keeping your weight on only one foot. During the trick, try to work out at what points you should transfer weight from that foot to the other. Use this sequence of weight transfer to propel you forward.

Really, once you've trained your muscles to break slalom tricks into a series of weight transfers between feet (never split your weight between feet, just "fall" from one foot to the other), slalom will become _much_ easier for you, and your progress should proceed much faster. That is the point where you will probably feel more like a proper freestyle slalomer.

I think a lot of people may not apply the weight transfer principle to snake, as they can more easily just use the carve to propel themselves forward (or backward). However, I still prefer to swap weighted feet during snake, as I think it feels better, and imparts a bit of the rubber legs appearance.

Other things to consider:
1) bend your knees as much as you can
2) practice the tricks at a very slow speed. Try to execute them smoothly and under control, even at transition points. This will be harder for you at first, but it will build much strength and result in a smoother execution when you speed it up.
3) Once you own the trick, you should speed it up. You don't want to go too fast, but you want your feet to be able to keep up w/ the music.

For back snake in particular:
1) Start w/ feet in a line (one behind the other). Your knees should be in a line as well.
2) Rotate your hips so that they point as parallel to the cones as possible. You do this you want to reduce the amount of upper torso and neck rotation as possible, as upper-body rotation will throw you off balance. You also do this because it looks bad-ass.
3) Complete the rotation w/ your torso so that your shoulders are parallel to the cones
4) Hold your arms outstretched on either side parallel to the cones. The arm on the side of your lead leg should point in the direction of travel. The arm on the side of your trailing leg should point opposite the direction of travel.

good luck!
GregT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #10
jojoman

GregT,
nice to hear form you.

my backward skating is getting better.
now have to train on weak side, the left
on mohawk,
powersilde
and

just learn lunge turn and lunge stop.

thks everyone!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Just4c

I'm not that young either and start slaloming in June this year. I never met / saw live yet another slalom skater or instructor so i'm just watching slalom videos then i practice on field. I realised that:

1.Is important to memorize first the trick you wanna learn. Watch a video then see what are you doing wrong (position of your body, legs movement) and correct yourself.
2. If you practice enough, you finnish by learning the trick.
Just4c is offline   Reply With Quote