S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 20th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #101
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
SL Team - If you took pictures or videos in Montreal I would like to include some of them in the SL DVD production. Most cameras store pictures as .jpg files and I can import that format. For video, I can import .avi, .mpg, .wmv, and .mov. files. I can copy your files off of CDs or DVDs.

Jessica has my mailing address, you can send the discs directly to me. I look forward to seeing all of the pictures and video so that I can start on the SL DVD production.

Howard
I've already compiled a set of CDs for the SL team from what we took. There's over 1.6GB, so they wouldn't fit on a single DVD (I think).

BTW, Annalisa should be mailing them out today to Jessica, Mark, Don, Tom, Jan, Doug, Mike, and course, Kathie. I got Brian's address after I went to bed yesterday, so I'll set his up to go out during the weekend. I still need Margo's address, or if not, I'll send it to Jan so he can give it to her.

Howard, if you're like a copy of the CD, let me know and I'll send you one. Just PM your address to me.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #102
MN_Mike

[QUOTE=chuckboucher;55079]I've already compiled a set of CDs for the SL team from what we took. There's over 1.6GB, so they wouldn't fit on a single DVD (I think).
QUOTE]

You can fit 4.7 GB on standard DVDs
MN_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #103
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Mike View Post
You can fit 4.7 GB on standard DVDs
Wow. That I wasn't aware of. Some techie I am, eh?
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #104
Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post

Howard, if you're like a copy of the CD, let me know and I'll send you one. Just PM your address to me.
Chuck - you have been PM'ed
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #105
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
The only question is, can I train for 87 miles in 3 months?
No question, my serious training for A2A is just starting so yes, as an able bodied, already in shape skater you are actually in a perfect place to start training for this race.
Quote:
I know there are shorter distances, but I'm either gonna go big or go home.
spoken like a dyed in the wool A2A'er. Sometimes we already are certain things, we just have to discover them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
Yes. Speedy can help you with the particulars, but you can do this, no doubt about it.
word

Quote:
So, who's doing the North Shore Marathon?
Signed up for and flights booked (if flying) for Chicago, (tomorrow) SPIM, NSIM and A2A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Do it!!!!! You won't regret it, I promise. You're already in great shape - you just need to start practicing your climbs and descents and you'll be just fine. See you there
Jess is right, you're already in shape and you won't regret it. Her sentiment earlier today was that she loved the atmosphere and camardarie of Montreal, but savored the A2A experience more. The people cling a little tighter out on the fringe. You can look anyone in the eye out on the fringe and say, "this is how we roll, we walk on the wild side, we're not afraid to try something that will truly push us to our limits."

Doing something with an inherent greater risk of failure, like A2A, strengthens my resolve to dig deeper. Just because there is a greater chance of failure, it doesn't make it any easier to tolerate. The simple cliches still work:

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Are you tough enough to strain yourself to your limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
Don't put off until tomorrow, that which you can do today.
Lawrence, I ain't lettin' up. Carpe Diem. Take a rest, but get your butt to A2A. You talk about saving money for next year, but I say capitalize on the time you've already invested in the training for this year. Time is money and if you want to save money, maintain the shape you are in and lead the way for the Skatelog A2A class of 2008. What will be the cost of letting this fitness float away? Just more work and more training to get back to where you are today. What is more taxing on your body when you skate? A nice steady firm pace or a bunch of intervals? I have no doubt you'll maintain your overall fitness, but you are in prime race shape right now. If you hone that fitness by adding some intervals, hill training and pack skating, you'll be a machine. It will never be any easier than right now to make a quantum leap in your skating. If this skate conditioning trickles away, you'll spend half of your time getting in shape to skate and honing your skate skills as opposed to right now when you are in awesome shape when you can focus almost entirely on technique and intervals.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #106
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post

Jess is right, you're already in shape and you won't regret it. Her sentiment earlier today was that she loved the atmosphere and camardarie of Montreal, but savored the A2A experience more. The people cling a little tighter out on the fringe. You can look anyone in the eye out on the fringe and say, "this is how we roll, we walk on the wild side, we're not afraid to try something that will truly push us to our limits."
I wanted to mention this - if you liked Montreal, you'll love A2A, and if you loved Montreal, you'll be rolling in ecstasy at A2A
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #107
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
I wanted to mention this - if you liked Montreal, you'll love A2A, and if you loved Montreal, you'll be rolling in ecstasy at A2A
I don't know about this statement. Montreal is a sprinter's dream. Short stints on the track, several times out.

I hurt when skating any distance over 30 miles, so I don't know if I'd like competing when I know it's such a long distance.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #108
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I was referring more to the atmosphere than the distance. When you're skating in that long paceline over rolling hills you won't even notice the distance. You'll be too busy taking in the scenery and chatting with the other skaters. Think about it as a somewhat exerting walk in the park
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #109
Code Monkey

Oh I am going to use that when I am really pushing it beyond my fringe.

Dave, it's just a somewhat exerting walk in the park.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #110
MN_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Are you tough enough to strain yourself to your limits?
Oh man, combined with Jessica saying if you loved Montreal, you'll be rolling in ecstacy during A2A, this peer pressure is getting to be too much. I might cave any minute. It's a matter of figuring finances now.
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM   #111
MN_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
Yes. Speedy can help you with the particulars, but you can do this, no doubt about it.

If Lawrence says it can be done, it can be done.
He knows about pushing to the limits... I'll let you all know soon if I'm going to do this.

I will need some advice about training from all you veterans out there.
Old July 21st, 2007, 01:39 AM   #112
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Well, NSIM is out for me. Not in the finances. I was planning on heading down to TX for Thanksgiving to see my mom and that's a priority.

Since it's within driving distance, and it'd cost significantly less, I might do the NYC marathon instead.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:58 AM   #113
sk8crazy

Quote:
Since it's within driving distance, and it'd cost significantly less, I might do the NYC marathon instead.

We'll be there in New York for sure .. Joel's doing the 100k and I'm not sure if I'll do the 21k or 42k.

Christine
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #114
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I'd definitely be doing the 42K if I go.
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:46 PM   #115
brikkee

Quote:
Well, NSIM is out for me. Not in the finances. I was planning on heading down to TX for Thanksgiving to see my mom and that's a priority.

NYC marathon im in thanks for those pic chuck i enjoyed looking at all of them.
Old July 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM   #116
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:

I will need some advice about training from all you veterans out there.
I'm not exactly a veteran but I'll help you with anything you want to know. Did you sign up yet?

Quote:

I understand though. I actually skate outside my means and dream big. If I go broke at least I will have had a good time.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 03:20 PM   #117
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Congratulations to all of the members of the SkateLog Team, to Lawrence, and to all of the other skaters at the 24 Montreal event. I am so delighted that a group of skaters, many of whom who had never met, ended up placing so well. You guys are terrific! Thank you for the great reports and all of the photos. It almost makes me feel like I was able to be there after all. I have not had a chance to post a message until now, but my thoughts were definitely with the team during the entire event. What a great event and what a great bunch of skaters. Woooo Hoooo!!!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 05:43 PM   #118
Intrepid

Default 2007 Results Posted

The results of the race have been posted on the 24-Hours Inline website at http://www.inline24.com/results.php.

Each team name is linked to the team metrics and lap-by-lap results.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #119
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Mike's pictures have been added! They start on page 7
Jan's pictures have now been added - they start on page 13. That should be all for now

Pix

Jan got some great sleeping pics, and a team picture of the Fossils.
Old July 27th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #120
Jim White

Quote:
I actually skate outside my means and dream big.
That's what being a speedskater is all about. Go faster than your ability, and than it's safe to. Travel to far-away places that you know nothing about, to spend the night with people you've never seen. Skate in weather your mom told you to stay out of. Sleep is a waste of time. Spend money you don't have. Weird? Silly? Dangerous? Irrational? Yes, but much more fun than watching other people do stuff, like on TV!
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote