S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #1
sk8rmom

Default Difference between various Bones bearings?

Hey Doc,

What are the differences between the different Bones bearings?

I know there is a difference in price and the super swiss 6 has 6 balls and I believe the others have 7. I also know the labyrinth has a better seal to keep out dirt. What other differences are there? Is one better for rough skaters or people who skate more than a few hours a week?

Would you help everyone (and me) understand the advantages and disadvantages of each of the following please?

Bones Reds
Bones Super Swiss 6
Bones Swiss
Bones Ceramics
Bones Swiss Labyrinth

Thanks!!
Old November 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Bones Bearings.

Hey Doc,

What are the differences between the different Bones bearings?

Mostly materials or construction...which affect the price.

I know there is a difference in price and the super swiss 6 has 6 balls

And is only available in 8mm

and I believe the others have 7. I also know the labyrinth has a better seal to keep out dirt.

So far so good.

What other differences are there? Is one better for rough skaters or people who skate more than a few hours a week?

That is an interesting way to address this.. I would assume by "better" that you mean durability?

Would you help everyone (and me) understand the advantages and disadvantages of each of the following please?

Bones Reds

Chinese copies of the original Swiss. Comparable roll but the durability is not there..

Bones Super Swiss 6

Genuine Swiss with bigger balls that are supposed to make for better roll... Because they are 8mm I have never run any in quads so I don't know. They got mixed reviews from the speed sk8rs I know that tried them.

Bones Swiss

The original and best balance between price durability and speed.

Bones Swiss Labyrinth

The Swiss with a special seal as you mentioned. Cost a little more but that is all I sell now (vs the regular Swiss) ...

Bones Ceramics

The regular Swiss 7 ball design with Silicon Nitride (SiN) balls. The balls are dark gray to black. Do not confuse these with the cheaper white ball Zirconium Oxide (ZrO2) bearings. My ceramics (I got 'em in 2001) have proven about indestructable...... I neglect them hideously....they keep on rolling. Worth the money if you sk8 alot and want the best.....