S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

View Poll Results: Should we stand in protest against the foreign skaters?
Yes! We can all show that they are not welcome with or without the USARS approval! 4 13.79%
Yes, but I don't want to hurt those skaters feelings. 6 20.69%
It doesn't bother me if they skate our National Championships. 7 24.14%
No, absolutely not. They work as hard as our skaters to be there. 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 15th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #101
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

The major problem we as a sport need to face is how to we promote, finance and build (back up) a sport we all care deeply about-- It is time to think outside the box. Scarey thought isn't it?[/QUOTE]

I have a brilliant idea, why dont we hire Mitt Romney... thats wayyy outside the box.. LOL

"At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you"

"thought transcends matter"
wcsologolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #102
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsologolds View Post
I have a brilliant idea, why dont we hire Mitt Romney... thats wayyy outside the box.. LOL
Honestly Joey, if Mitt can clean up all the garbage and under the table deals that they had going on in Salt Lake City prior to him taking over that Olympic Planning Committee-- our problems would be a piece of cake.

I've got a bunch of other lines here about what he could do and how... but it's best I edit myself.
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #103
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Honestly Joey, if Mitt can clean up all the garbage and under the table deals that they had going on in Salt Lake City prior to him taking over that Olympic Planning Committee-- our problems would be a piece of cake.

I've got a bunch of other lines here about what he could do and how... but it's best I edit myself.

i know... i put the LOL after my suggestion because i didnt want to get heckled.... but you and I know, that this sport would be bigger than ICE if he polished up the things that arent happening or not working. No? Afterall, we are more graceful, we roller dancers dont push with our tushes out ! LOL

Old August 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #104
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerunsk8s View Post
No kidding. Remember when it was Eric Anderson, Josh Rhodes, and Toby Mathews. What a f***ing sexy group of awesome skaters. Whoops! There goes my mouth again! LOL!

Well, gee... remind me to go sit with you in the stands some day when the guys skate. lol Who cares if they use their toestop on the salchow, what does their butt look like? lol
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #105
Mom2Skaters

Quote:

No, no... I already decided Al Gore (preaching the environmental bonuses roller offers) and Jayson. They have to vote to let Mitt in. Or we have a skate off! lmao
Artistic Skate Videos
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM   #106
Rerunsk8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Skaters View Post
Well, gee... remind me to go sit with you in the stands some day when the guys skate. lol Who cares if they use their toestop on the salchow, what does their butt look like? lol

The new ones are way too skinny for me. I like them built. Maybe in the up and coming years. I'll find ya and we can giggle it up like little girls. Josh's butt's awesome though.
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #107
rwsz

Quote:
The new ones are way too skinny for me. I like them built. Maybe in the up and coming years. I'll find ya and we can giggle it up like little girls. Josh's butt's awesome though.

gee what a bunch of perverts lmao.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #108
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Quote:
You don't like the skinny guys? Jk!

Does anyone know who this guy is???

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #109
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Skaters View Post
You think the guys are a ruthless bunch of ...<thinking of lots of words I can't type here...> men? Ah that's a nooooo.

We women are far worse. (Trust me! ) A bunch of us used to sit in the stands far away from the normal crowds during certain events, issue catcalls and rate the guys like we were at a Chippendale's Show. We were sooo bad!
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #110
Rerunsk8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
You don't like the skinny guys? Jk!

[/

LOL! I married one!
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #111
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Quote:
LOL! I married one!
So did my wife!
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #112
cheryl murphy

Hi all, away from the boards for a few days and you guys lit up another hot topic! Very interesting indeed. Of course, I have the answer! JK!!!

Let's hold a no holds barred invitational as a fund raiser. Get ESPN involved, sponsers, celebrities for a good cause. A short 2 day event so people can actually attend it, in a really cool city. Invite skaters from all over the world and make it irresistable. This could be an annual "wow" in the US. And of course we would have to be wonderful hosts because the people I have met from outside the US, from many different countries, beat us hands down in hosting.

Now for my oldskool self:

I don't know when we decided that all kids should get a trophy!

1. You have to work really really hard to be the best at anything. This means you sacrifice x-box time and time with friends because you have a different priority.

2. It is an honor to make Nationals and an even greater honor to win.
(When I skated, it was an honor to make it out of state meet!)

3. You move up in divisions until you are good enough to be in the divisions that can go to a world meet. (I don't even know which divisions can go to World's these days!)

I would love to see any skater be a part of our sport, but I believe that if Nationals are the holy grail, than only skaters that qualify by competing in their event, in their state or region, should be allowed to compete for a placement at nationals.

And just from my heart, I believe winning is only a victory if you have truly beaten a strong competitor. If you are the best in your event than that strong competitor is yourself. It is no real fun or a real win otherwise.....it is just a piece of plastic, metal or wood and a false sense of self!
Old August 17th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #113
wcsologolds
Joseph Farias III

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
Hi all, away from the boards for a few days and you guys lit up another hot topic! Very interesting indeed. Of course, I have the answer! JK!!!

Let's hold a no holds barred invitational as a fund raiser. Get ESPN involved, sponsers, celebrities for a good cause. A short 2 day event so people can actually attend it, in a really cool city. Invite skaters from all over the world and make it irresistable. This could be an annual "wow" in the US. And of course we would have to be wonderful hosts because the people I have met from outside the US, from many different countries, beat us hands down in hosting.

1. You have to work really really hard to be the best at anything. This means you sacrifice x-box time and time with friends because you have a different priority.

3. You move up in divisions until you are good enough to be in the divisions that can go to a world meet. (I don't even know which divisions can go to World's these days!)

I would love to see any skater be a part of our sport, but I believe that if Nationals are the holy grail, than only skaters that qualify by competing in their event, in their state or region, should be allowed to compete for a placement at nationals.

And just from my heart, I believe winning is only a victory if you have truly beaten a strong competitor. If you are the best in your event than that strong competitor is yourself. It is no real fun or a real win otherwise.....it is just a piece of plastic, metal or wood and a false sense of self!

FABULOUSLY SAID, BELLA DIVA !

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #114
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post

Very well said and my sentiments exactly.
Old August 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #115
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

[QUOTE=wcsologolds;186705]
To me, Invitationals is to build the confidence of the up and comming skater. It gives that "greener" skater to compete in a smaller scale, to get their feet wet,perform for spectators , and meet other skaters in the community !

While Elite skaters should also attend, to set a role model and to support and offer encouragment to these younger skaters. This goes back to my prior post as to, nationals being more intergrated with WC and youth.

I'm NOT Joey bashing here (my son's name too, BTW)....but I have a question for you:

When's the last time you made a real connection with the younger skaters?
Have you "adopted" a "green" skater to encourage?

Again, I'm seriously not bashing you....I just want to know how many skaters on the WC Team actually TALK to young skaters...especially the boys who have SUCH a hard time with peer pressure and the stigma of being a skater.
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #116
rwsz

[QUOTE=skater.mom;187811][QUOTE=wcsologolds;186705]
To me, Invitationals is to build the confidence of the up and comming skater. It gives that "greener" skater to compete in a smaller scale, to get their feet wet,perform for spectators , and meet other skaters in the community !

While Elite skaters should also attend, to set a role model and to support and offer encouragment to these younger skaters. This goes back to my prior post as to, nationals being more intergrated with WC and youth.

I'm NOT Joey bashing here (my son's name too, BTW)....but I have a question for you:

i cant answer for joey but he works with the young ones at the rink. i can say over the years with involvement that many of the wc skaters speak to the young ones and give autographs. the real problem is nobody has the time and money to stay at nationals because it is so long. when it was just 8 days and saturday to saturday there was a lot more involvement at the national level. then again the kids had to approach the skaters most of the time but i remember many of them telling the young kids when they skated good program keep up the hard work your doing great. i remember the first time my son skated wc he was so overwhelmed and loved it and they told him you really belonged here, even if he didnt it made him feel good lol.

your son and you should feel free to approach wc skaters and older skaters for that matter as there isnt many wc yet, approach the jwc and the older skaters as they have a lot more to offer then you realize.
Old August 18th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #117
skater.mom
Proud Mom of Joey

[QUOTE=rwsz;188020][QUOTE=skater.mom;187811]
Quote:

i cant answer for joey but he works with the young ones at the rink. i can say over the years with involvement that many of the wc skaters speak to the young ones and give autographs. the real problem is nobody has the time and money to stay at nationals because it is so long. when it was just 8 days and saturday to saturday there was a lot more involvement at the national level. then again the kids had to approach the skaters most of the time but i remember many of them telling the young kids when they skated good program keep up the hard work your doing great. i remember the first time my son skated wc he was so overwhelmed and loved it and they told him you really belonged here, even if he didnt it made him feel good lol.

your son and you should feel free to approach wc skaters and older skaters for that matter as there isnt many wc yet, approach the jwc and the older skaters as they have a lot more to offer then you realize.

Obviously, you don't remember my comments, or maybe you're so overwhelmed, it passed by you....I'll repeat once again.

2 or 3 years ago we stayed for WC night, as Reanon was skating. She told me to be on the look out for Derek Leonard, because my son skates like him. We didn't see him. 2007 in Omaha ONCE AGAIN, I made my husband see bancruptcy in our future, because I made sure Joey was there in the stands with Reanon while WC skated. She pointed Derek out to us and we were AMAZED!!! The little head twitch he does when he jumps is what Joey does too. CONNECTION MADE....i TOOK IT UPON MYSELF to myspace Derek, and get him to add Joey....and a friendship was born.
THIS SEASON AT NATIONALS Derek sought Joey out to say hello AND stayed to watch Joey skate Freestyle. Though he didn't have the BEST program on the floor, he did a couple of amazing (for Joey) Axels. Derek came over TO US and told Joey and his coaches how good they were, and to keep up the good work.
Derek keeps up with Joey throughout the season. He's my hero for WC Mens. My 13 year old boy feels better about skating and not caring what his peers say about it now, because he has DEREK to look up to.

I was in NO WAY being derogatory toward any of the skaters at ANY level!!! I just wanted to know how many of the older skaters LIKE/DISLIKE/DON'T REALLY CARE about the younger skaters.

Again, Joey, please tell me what YOUR interest is....you're the person I was speaking to
skater.mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #118
rwsz

Annette i am glad you made a connection with Derek and your son Joey. hes a great kid Derek, known him for awhile now. i am glad he took the time to encourage him and comment for him.

i know you asked Joey a specific question but i was just letting you know that the skaters are approachable and will help while they can. its sad they cant be around for too much of the youth skate because of scheduling. good luck in Joeys skating and i am glad he stuck with it.
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #119
starturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
when it was just 8 days and saturday to saturday there was a lot more involvement at the national level.
See, this just doesn't make sense to me. If there are less skaters, by far, how is Nationals so long these days? There was nothing broken with the old divisions and nothing wrong with the schedule. I remember our vacations used to be to Fort Worth or Lincoln for a week in August. I remember the speed skaters coming into World Class night because they were coming in for their events the week after. I remember going to an open practice get my skating in for that day and I remember being able to go to the arena every night to watch the events and hang with friends. When I was young I remember Bill Moneypenny and his partner coming up to me while I was playing a game. I remember walking up to Tim McGuire asking for his autograph at a practice rink. All of this, I believe, contributed to great skating. I tried and watched some of the feed from Nationals this year and it was the 1st time I've seen skating at the National level in over 15 years and I was shocked by the audience. Where are they? I'm not even talking about the regular Joe I'm talking about the skaters?? Are they just hanging out at their hotel? Are they at a practice rink ... ALL DAY?? I'm sorry but you need only one strong skating session a day when you are at Nationals, maybe two if you have a private practice. If you are not getting something by then chances are you are not going to get it by cramming in God awful amounts of practice time. Skaters need skaters at the venue. Young skaters need to see what they can become and the Elite skaters need to show their faces. It helped my generation a bunch Of course that is my two cents worth.
starturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #120
Mom2Skaters

[QUOTE=skater.mom;187811]
Quote:
Again, I'm seriously not bashing you....I just want to know how many skaters on the WC Team actually TALK to young skaters...especially the boys who have SUCH a hard time with peer pressure and the stigma of being a skater.

I know Derek Leonard will chat with the kids (and their moms too!). lol He has watched Caitlin skate before, though I'm not sure the intent was to see her specifically or not. Maybe he was watching "Candice's skater", but he was there watching.

Crystal Rosebourough (if I spelled that right) skated JWC Singles before she was injured (not sure what her plans are now) but she has been great support for my daughter. Crystal even gave her a card wishing her good luck at her first Regionals. And Crystal was there at nationals this year but didn't skate.

And my daughter was congratulated by Eduardo Gravina and Gustavo de Melo after she got 4th in Juvenile A Freestyle. That was really nice of them even if my daughter didn't know Eduardo. She knew Gustavo was Ashley's partner.

So... some of them are connecting with the little ones. And even Kadu will congratulate the winners. So, that is good coming from a coach of World Class skaters.
Artistic Skate Videos