S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #41
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
As few Skate/Cycling events we have near H-Town---what's the odds of two big ones being on the same day?
Ya, really. Maybe they won't clash next year.

Sounds like fun. Did you guys stay on the shoulder or was there some kind of traffic control so you could skate in the normal lane?

I hate chip and seal. I hate it less with my 100s than I did with 80s, but I still hate it. On the upside, trying to stay within the 18 inch wide smooth-ish strip must have some kind of good influence on my underpush...

Hopefully by next year I'll be strong enough to join in the fun. Not the Los Cucos fun - I don't think I'll ever get strong enough for that. :-)
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #42
gospeedracer

We actually got to skate right in the road. Outside of Katy on the back roads have very little traffic Sunday mornings at 8am. The times we did have to skate the shoulder it was a big enough shoulder to DP with little problem.
Old November 4th, 2008, 05:04 PM   #43
hoffmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gospeedracer View Post
We actually got to skate right in the road. Outside of Katy on the back roads have very little traffic Sunday mornings at 8am. The times we did have to skate the shoulder it was a big enough shoulder to DP with little problem.
Along 1463/1093 were the only places we really had to skate in the road
1463 had no shoulder that I remember, and 1093 has rumble strip, which
would make going from the road to the shoulder difficult and dangerous.
359 had an awesome shoulder, very smooth!!

Anyone remember seeing the coral snake on the shoulder of 359, about 2 miles out of Fulshear??? Karen and I saw it!
ya'll were about 25-50 yds back so you may have missed it.
definitely caught me by surprise.

1463, 1093, and 359 were fast!! very smooth pavement. Awesome to skate on
90, well that was a different story. skatable chip&seal if there is such a thing
we now know how to get around most of it... (detour to the Luvs, then down the service road to 1463 to pick up the cyclists)
That service road was FAST too!!!
we were hammering there towards the end...

I will do this event again next year for sure.
as long as they allow skaters I'll be there!
hoffmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #44
WonderGirl

Saturday: I headed downtown Houston to eye the course and prep my students. Worried about the downtown end turn around, the immense potholes and metal plates I changed the proposed set up for my students. Sunday when I spoke with them I was very relieved to find out the route at that end had been altered to not force skaters in that section. Whew!

Headed home, changed, and called the guys while on my way. I am now laughing so hard again, tears in eyes. I have the best team & skate mates ever. Picked them up to Wow! You look like a girl! Kinda like Johnny Chen at A2A. I do wear stuff other than Lycra and Spandex from time to time. We head to Katy to find Los Cucos #1. It was closed. I think Robins words were Bolted chain on the door. Pft! Its Houston-ville, land of a billion and one restaurants. No worries. We find a second Los Cucos. Hey they must have moved! I try to explain to the guys that its like Taqueria name. Million of them, near none are related. But honestly what does the Yank know?

So we kill a lot of time at #2 taste testing lots of queso, fresh made at the table guac, good chips, REAL salsas, food platter, our group meal till not naming name launches the tortillas across the room, and there might have been some margaritas the size of a football, like the ones used in TXvsTXtech game, beer, and whatever else the guys might have had. But I wont mention that part.

We have got to get out of here before we order more. But hmmm, we are still very wired, what to do what to do? Head to the city. A few hours later of beating the snot out of each other in the name of teammate bonding we are learning that whole, we get an extra hour tonight mindset, isnt playing in our favor. Its really only 12:45 AM. Technically its only 1:30 AM now. Finally I toss the guys out the rear hatch in the wee hours, there might have been a Whataburger run in there as well but I wont mention that part either. My head hits the pillow at 3:30 AM (but really its only 2:30 I think). A few hours later my alarm goes off. My phone relays my morning thoughts to the guys via text.

Arrive at start site which is Katy Mills Mall just in time for my Ride Marshal meeting. We are told there were over 1500 pre registers and they are expecting at least 500 more that morning. Even though I paid and pre registered I never got my Tour dD tee, which was a COOL looking tee, as the lines were mega long. I work the start on my skates to keep cyclists from being hit by autos on their first turn. Eventually the first group of skaters head out and my eye starts twitching. A few groups later, the big dogs go, now that eye is spazzing! But I take my RM duties seriously and keep doing my job. Finally another kind hearted RM offers to take over and I take off along my way having to kindly speak with cyclists insisting on riding 3 wide, always a no-no. The guys have a huge lead on me. At least 5 minutes. I skate the first 5-6 miles solo till just the right bike comes along. Hes going a easy warm-up pace of 17-18mph. The cyclist and I are talking and having a good time. I catch one pack of skaters a couple of miles before the first donut stop. Its the section of road with rumble strips between road and shoulder. Nothing I cant jump over to get around cyclists. Piece o cake.

I find other skaters at this stop. We head out back on to the smoooooth roads, no donuts in me and Im still good on water. From here out my duties are light. Most cyclists are behaving very well. Not even one music player headphone found in an ear. The roads are BEAUTIFUL and were clipping along very well.

Now hitting Brookshire my ankle finds the one really nasty patch and is grumpy. Stupid thing is never going to heal. A short mile or two later is the second Donut stop. I whip out my phone and call SAG. Ive tolerated chipinhell before but my ankle has made it clear not this time. So our black STi pulls up, we catch Robin and the gang pretty quick that way. 4 of us falling out of the car like clowns at a circus Im ready to hammer. We all get rolling and Im tucked behind Robin, like drafting Larson, Theres a headwind? Im not giving this spot up for anything. Brian, Mr. 1:14 at Duluth, hammers into that wind. They sprint it home, I knew that was coming, and it was all good. About 45 minutes after finishing I decide to eat a donut. Got 80% of it down. Few minutes later am doing sugar induced jump-ups in the parking lot. Might be ugly when come down from that buzz.

I counted 18 skaters on skates and 2 more on bike. The ratio of those from out of town and from Houston was about 1:1. Hugs to all you guys/gals. It was a blast!
I can not wait till next year!!!!

Last edited by WonderGirl; November 4th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.
WonderGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #45
jmac

I'm really glad to hear that you guys had such a great time out in the Katy area. I've skated out there many times in other events, and I know it's a lot of fun... especially with so many bikes to draft. I would love to have joined you, but I was... umm, kinda busy!

It looks like next year the Houston IM will be on Sunday, November 1st a date which is dictated by our spot in the City of Houston's special-events planning calendar. I hope you'll consider contacting the Tour de Donut organizers and encouraging them to schedule their event on November 8th next year, so the two events won't be in conflict. It would be great to be able to skate both!

Cheers,
~ Justin
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #46
AustinSkater

They still haven't posted the results, but they have posted the photos. Of course, with 18+ skaters mixed in amongst 1,600 cyclists there aren't many shots of skaters.

http://www.tourdedonut.com/2008_Ride...s/IMG_5160.JPG
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #47
WonderGirl

Great eye Bryan. LOL

http://www.tourdedonut.com/2008_Ride...s/IMG_5017.JPG

http://www.tourdedonut.com/2008_Ride...s/IMG_5087.JPG
Now that's a lot of donuts!
Old November 5th, 2008, 08:47 PM   #48
hoffmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderGirl View Post

ha, that's Chuck and I, and a helluvalotofdonuts

No results posted yet....They have a lot of tabulating to do!! 6600 donuts consumed...
I had no donuts, and with the stops and detours.. it was close to 2 hours
we started 4 or 5 waves in.. and it was like 2:10 when we finished.
Damn fun event!

I'm still down for the count..
I caught a really nasty bug while in Houston..
Been working from home all week, did not work at all on Monday, just surfed from the lazyboy and snoozed
thank goodness for Zicam...
It's already getting better.

Thanks a lot Robin!!!
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #49
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmonster View Post
ha, that's Chuck and I,
Looks like Chuck enjoys standing around about as much as I do. :-) Also looks like he might be mumbling something about "tomfoolery" and "shenanigans". He's ready to go!
Quote:
Okay, that makes sense. I am squeamish about being on the road, but if I were with a bunch of other people I'd prolly survive it.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #50
hoffmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkater View Post
They still haven't posted the results, but they have posted the photos. Of course, with 18+ skaters mixed in amongst 1,600 cyclists there aren't many shots of skaters.

http://www.tourdedonut.com/2008_Ride...s/IMG_5160.JPG

results are now posted!!!
someone ate 40 donuts, but they got DQed
I wonder if they executed the technicolor yawn to get the DQ???

The winner finished before it even started!!!
how weird is that? negative 15 minutes.., wow

that person ate 25 donuts

UGH!!! I think I'm gonna be sick!!
As bad as I felt at the start, it would've been worse had I ate any donuts..
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #51
AustinSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
I am squeamish about being on the road, but if I were with a bunch of other people I'd prolly survive it.
That's the good thing about events like this, and the Katy Flatlands Century (among others). With all the cyclists around you don't have to worry as much about the cars. Of course, you do have to worry about some of the cyclists (but they aren't as bad as the one's from Houston riding the MS-150 to Austin, some of them act like they've never seen a hill)

Looking at the results, there were some serious donut eating fools out there, life is good. The scary thing, one of the people that showed up for this is now working with the Make-a-Wish people in Fort Worth, to host one up here as well. If we get a third in Austin, we could have an informal Texas Donut Cup for inline racers
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #52
gospeedracer

Brian I like that idea!! Lets get one of these in the Austin area for sure. Who do we contact??
Old November 6th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #53
AustinSkater

Quote:
Brian I like that idea!! Lets get one of these in the Austin area for sure. Who do we contact??
The local Make A Wish chapter is http://www.centralandsouthtexas.wish.org/

I'd suggest contacting the Austin Cycling Association as well, they have lots of experience with charity rides.

I'll be riding with the person trying to organize the one up here this weekend, so I'll ask her what the status is.
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #54
uelsk8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac View Post
It looks like next year the Houston IM will be on Sunday, November 1st a date which is dictated by our spot in the City of Houston's special-events planning calendar. I hope you'll consider contacting the Tour de Donut organizers and encouraging them to schedule their event on November 8th next year, so the two events won't be in conflict. It would be great to be able to skate both!

Cheers,
~ Justin
Is there no way the HIM could be on saturday, Oct 31 and the Tour de Donut be on sunday Nov 1st?

It would make a great weekend

Uelsk8s
uelsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #55
WonderGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSkater View Post
The local Make A Wish chapter is http://www.centralandsouthtexas.wish.org/

I'd suggest contacting the Austin Cycling Association as well, they have lots of experience with charity rides.

I'll be riding with the person trying to organize the one up here this weekend, so I'll ask her what the status is.
Heck yes! You know I'm in and would help. Tri-TX donuts.
Old November 7th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #56
gospeedracer

Thumbs up

I bet you'd like that Renee you donut Hog but.....Thank God there is NO Los Cucos here(inside joke)!! Although if none of you have ever riddin in Renee's Subie it'll keep you in your seat FOR SURE! Now that was a blast.
Old November 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #57
WonderGirl

Quote:
I bet you'd like that Renee you donut Hog but.....Thank God there is NO Los Cucos here(inside joke)!! Although if none of you have ever riddin in Renee's Subie it'll keep you in your seat FOR SURE! Now that was a blast.
donut hog... you're kidding right? I ate less than one. Go talk to McKenney.

Baby A's purple does just as good a job. After our Austin home meet in Dec. HINT HINT BTW... gotta hook us up for the good 6th club for Sat. night for "The Kid's" birthday. Been over a year since been there so I'm passe on the right places. Good thing I knew where I was going on Sat. Was warned how useful you are for being the nav.

hoffmonsters headprint is still on the rear window from his dramtic launch. I donno... you think he milked it a little? Found pumpkin pie crumbs back there too. You hear that hoff? No more drive thru for you in my car.

I agree... I love weekends that are filled with lots of skating. More time on wheels the better. Bang for buck.