S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Slalom Cone Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slalom Cone Skating Forum Discussions about slalom cone skating, high-jump, and other freestyle trick skating. (Note that vert, street, and park skating discussions should be posted in our aggressive skating forum.)

Old June 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #41
Just4c

Hey guys, that cleares alot. I was kinda depressed with pain and all that. Plus i'm stucked in this backward criss cross. So i guess i have all i need for the moment.

thanks alot
Just4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #42
kuosher34

I spent many days confused about how to do backwards crisscross. Figuring out backwards snake helped me a lot with it. I also practiced backwards cross over one cone to start over and over again, spending a lot of time scooting slowly backwards with my legs crossed. Makes your feet hurt on the outer edges, but will eventually pay off. Good luck!
kuosher34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #43
Just4c

Damn kuosher u right again...my legs are in pain on outer edge. My problem with bkwrds criss cross is to keep the direction. My legs are moving alright but i'm sliding out of the cones path....suddenly slaloming in paralel with cones not trough them...Well, tommorow is another day...
Old June 17th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #44
kuosher34

Keep at it! Practice is key. Remember to turn your hips towards your lead foot moving backwards and look in the direction of travel. It will only make sense to your body with repetition. Your feet will get numb soon enough.

Practice practice practice!

I found practicing crazy worked well with learning backwards crisscross since it combined a skill I was very comfortable with (forwards crisscross) and only required crossing one cone at a time backwards.

You'll have to learn to stop and start your momentum going across the cones though, which means more outer edge practice.

As your bandwidth is limited, here is a link to a mostly text tutorial by Naomi on crazy. It should also help with your backwards crisscross and give you a pair of new exercises to improve your edge control.

Crazy
Old June 18th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #45
Just4c

Well, backward criss cross is a ''can do'' right now!! My mistake was looking down between my moving legs instead of looking backward!! This was making me loose direction...
Just have another question.. yesterday i had to pass trough some rough surface down hill on my way back to ship. After that i see some oil coming out of bearings. Is this normal or something's wrong with my bearings already?

A...and one more thing...guys don't use rocks as cones. I didt it and my back wheel blocked into them a few times.. each time i went down...
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #46
kuosher34

Looking in the direction of travel helps.

I have no experience with the Seba skates or the bearings they use, so I can't tell you if that's normal. I do know that my bearings new out of the box had some oil runoff and tend to have some runoff that makes all the dust and such to stick to the bearings for a while afterwards. Wipe down your bearings with a paper towel and drive on.

Rocks are probably a terrible cone substitute due to the aforementioned wheel stoppage. I'd recommend a plastic bottle first and an aluminum can second. The bottle will tip over pretty easy, even filled with water but it won't maim you if you hit it or fall on it. The aluminum can works in a pinch but will develop jagged edges after a few good hits.

The cones that Seba offers are pricey but many slalomers swear by them. I'd recommend those based on reputation but I haven't gotten them yet.
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #47
Just4c

That's what i did, just wiped out the dusty oil and now waiting for my next going out which will be in Travemunde (Germany). Couldn't find any info about skating places in there...Peace!
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #48
kev0

http://www.kiwidude.com/skatetricks.html

There are animated GIF's of how to do certain tricks on this site.

Hope it helps
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:12 PM   #49
Just4c

Thanks mate! Is really good the site. Alot of info in there.
It sure helps!

Cheers Aussie!
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #50
Just4c

Hey guys,

Sorry to bother again but here is a new one. Wheels rockered already (i wasn't expecting to happen so fast). Thing is that i use these skates (Seba FR 1) for street skating as well even for city sighting sometimes, also i like to try jumps and other things which are not quite matching with my rockered wheels.
Here comes the point: i would like to purchase some fresh wheels so what should i choose? A new fresh set of wheels (8 pcs) or only 4 wheels to replace the front and the back ones depending on what i wanna skate?
I use now 80 mm Hyper wheels with ILQ 9 Pro Slalom bearings.
I checked their catalog but honestly can't realize what should i get. Should i have other bearings for city skating? Seba has 80 mm wheels with stronger durability which i can use?
Is it ok if i switch the back wheel with one of the middle wheels to avoid more rockering?
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:04 AM   #51
kuosher34

I'd get another set of bearings and a separate set of wheels for touring if you do it often enough. Easier just to switch wheels out. As for wheel types, I run Hyper 250s but I understand you can get other varieties in Europe. Perhaps one of the skaters over there can chime in on wheel/bearing combos?

I skate on my slalom setup everywhere but only because I don't have another pair of decent skates right now. Would love to have a pair of Seba GTs just for that.
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:28 PM   #52
Just4c

Well, for me is a question of space as well. Being on a passenger ship involves flights and luggage so two pair of skates would take too much space. Other than that, for me too, the 90 mm Seba GT would be ideal for city sightseeing ( the boots can be use for almost any type of skating).

And again, if i go for fresh wheels and bearings (not to mention that a 255 frame would be apropriate as well cause now i run on 243 mm) i arrive almost to the same price with a new pair of Seba GT.
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM   #53
KryptoRon

Honestly I'd say you should get new 80mm wheels (max size for 243 frame) and bearings like kuosher34 suggested, just for the ease of switching between slalom setup/touring.
I've got my "old" Powerslide Cell FSK with a straight setup 80mm I use for skating around with a friend of mine, also 243 frame. It skates fine.
If I were you I wouldn't bother with a bigger frame, yes it might take you a bit more strength than with a bigger frame. But I don't think you go touring/sightseeing for hours on end. And even then I don't think it's worth the money.
This way you save 1.) Money, and 2.) space in your luggage

~~~Ron
KryptoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM   #54
Just4c

Yeah, i think u right guys...i'll just go for wheels and bearings. I saw on their catalog they sell bearings by 16 pcs... any idea if can be bought by 8 pcs?

Thanks for advices!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 03:27 AM   #55
kuosher34

Several manufacturers sell bearings in sets of 8. I'm not sure what availability is like in Europe, but I bet a skate shop at your next port can help you out.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #56
KryptoRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4c View Post
Yeah, i think u right guys...i'll just go for wheels and bearings. I saw on their catalog they sell bearings by 16 pcs... any idea if can be bought by 8 pcs?

Thanks for advices!
why would you want 8 pcs? You use 2 bearings per wheel. 8 wheels 2x bearings = 16 bearings
Oh, and don't forget the spacers either.

~~~Ron
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM   #57
kuosher34

I thought the exact same thing. Perhaps just changing out the rockered wheels for a flat setup? Wouldn't be a true flat as the center wheels would be worn from whatever skating, more anti rockered.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM   #58
Just4c

Guys that's all new for me. I never changed any bearing till now, i even didn't knew there are two bearings per wheel!!!
By the way i need to check how the heck i'm going to do that (put the wheel and bearings together).
So u tell me when i order bearings i need to order spacers separately or they come included?
So far, is written in the booklet received with the skates that is recommended to exchange frequently wheels position which i did. I wanna be able to do both slalom and city touring till i will have a chance for new set of wheels. And these wheels are getting worned out really fast!!
Old July 4th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #59
KryptoRon

What you have to order is this (all separate articles):
8 Wheels
16 bearings
8 spacers.

Now there are 2 different kind of spacers. The kind you need depends on your axles I think .
Made some easy pics to show how you know what spacer you have without having to take apart your wheels/bearings.

That is what your bearings will look like if you have the longer spacers. As you can see you have 2 inner rings. The inner most is the spacer the other is your bearings inner ring.

That is what your bearings will look like if you have a so called satellite spacer.

Now I don't know if Seba uses the same spacers in all their skates, if so you need to get a set of the satellite spacers. But like I said best to check what kind of spacer you have.
Sorry about the pics, I know you have limited bandwidth, but in this case a picture says more than a 1000 words .

The changing of wheels frequently is of course a relative term. Depending on how often you skate, how your wheels grind down. Just look at them and see if they are worn down on the inside of the wheel (which was usually the case for me before I started slalom, now they are just straight lol) and then switch/turn around to your own liking .

And with a rockered setup you can still do some sightseeing until you get a chance to get new wheels and all. It'll just be a little less comfortable. I really don't mind skating either way, rockered or straight.

Anyway I hope this helps you out a bit more.
If I forgot something let me know
And if I made a mistake somewhere other people can correct me, just doing my best here ^^

~~~Ron
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:04 AM   #60
kuosher34

I had the spacers question not too long ago. All the Seba skates seem to use the floating (lower picture, satellite) spacer. Helps to get a dedicated bearing pusher (usually on a skate tool), though you can do the same job with a screwdriver or allen key.