S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #1
dgandy311

Talking Finally! My old school build is complete

After a 26 year hiatus from skating, I caught a bad case of SEDS (Thanks to DOC Sk8 for helping me understand my condition!) and went on pursuit of building a pair of skates with my favorite items. Thanks to many of you, I was able to obtain what I was after. Special thanks to Mr. Shelby (Derrick) for mounting the one hole lasers with blingpins he sold to me on my new 695s. He also threw in the white laces. Additionally, I also obtained 7 sets of wheels over the past two months including the Aussie jet lines located in the pics below. I also found a set of fafnir bearings in great shape. Looking forward to getting back out on the floor here in South Louisiana! Below are some pics of of the finished product.

dgandy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Terror Australis
Happy Little Vegemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgandy311 View Post
After a 26 year hiatus from skating,
Ah, just a blip!
Quote:
Additionally, I also obtained 7 sets of wheels over the past two months including the Aussie jet lines located in the pics below. I also found a set of fafnir bearings in great shape.
Wow!!! You don't need all that stuff lying round cluttering up your place- I'd be glad to help, just send some of em my way!
Quote:
Looking forward to getting back out on the floor
I'll bet you are Let us know how you go

https://www.facebook.com/DollsOfHazzard?ref=ts&fref=ts
Terror Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #3
dgandy311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror Australis View Post
Ah, just a blip!

Wow!!! You don't need all that stuff lying round cluttering up your place- I'd be glad to help, just send some of em my way!

I'll bet you are Let us know how you go
Did my wife suggest that the wheels were cluttering up the place?!
Old October 13th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #4
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Now you need to build a set of skates that aren't too nice to use.
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #5
skategael

Sharp! My "hiatus" was 30 years. Having a great time being back. Just be careful around inline skaters......they lure you in & then next thing you know, the quads are feelin' heavy Well, that's what happened to me, at least
Welcome back!
skategael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #6
FarmTruk
rusty bones

thats a gr8 looking pair of skates!

FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #7
pathfinder19

nice...even like the stoppers...I can't get rid of mine either...never really use them but kind of have to have them for some reason..
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #8
Armadillo

This build is really sharp!
Now if you like to add a seriously good boost to your turning response, try a longer kingpin (titanium =>$6.25 each) and the reversed cone scheme:

If you like the results, you can even go a step further with the hourglass PLUS reversed cone scheme:

The SuperConeHead thread=> http://skatelogforum.com/forums/show...superconeheads

-Armadillo
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #9
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Talking Silly Dillo, It's an Oldeskool Setup...

David was really looking for a period correct look, thus the traditional mounting location & components. I seriously doubt he will start stacking a bunch of multi colored cones on a killer set of One Hole Lasers. But hey, I just build them.

Derrick......
MR SHELBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Jeff McKinney

"This build is really sharp!
Now if you like to add a seriously good boost to your turning response, try a longer kingpin (titanium =>$6.25 each) and the reversed cone scheme"

Where from?
Jeff McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #11
dgandy311

Thanks to all for the great comments and suggestions. I am going to enjoy these for a while and perhaps get crazy like I do on every other hobby and build many different setups.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #12
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Wink When you decide to get "Crazy" let me know...

Because I'm ready to build you whatever you need David!

And now for the burning question, HOW DO THEY SKATE?

Derrick......
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:20 PM   #13
dgandy311

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR SHELBY View Post
Because I'm ready to build you whatever you need David!

And now for the burning question, HOW DO THEY SKATE?

Derrick......
They are great, and almost too fast for me right now. Trying to get my balance back. When I first put them on, the trucks were much to loose, but once I tightened up the blingpins (which were extremely easy!), I was much more comfortable. The wheels grip tremendously. Still trying to break in the boots!
Old October 25th, 2010, 04:58 AM   #14
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Talking So Glad You Like Them David...

A friendly heads up though, on these very early Lasers there are NO metal threaded inserts anywhere on the plates. From your pictures that I imagine were taken prior to you skating them, it looks like you have a lot of the toestop shank sticking out of your plates.

It's pretty vital that you really watch the amount of overlap in the shank on those toestops, I'd just be sick to see you blow out a stop & ruin some of the nicest One holes I've ever seen. Same with your Jamnuts, you want to get them scary tight. I always use a 17mm flat "Cluster Wrench" you can get for $9.00 from any decent bicycle shop & use them on my Jamnuts, cheap insurance against strippage. Another reason for the added length on "Blingpins" is to maximize the thread overlap into the plate & minimize the chance of strippage.

You'll be "Hauling Chilli" before you know it, enjoy!

Derrick......
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #15
niteridr95

Quote:
A friendly heads up though, on these very early Lasers there are NO metal threaded inserts anywhere on the plates. From your pictures that I imagine were taken prior to you skating them, it looks like you have a lot of the toestop shank sticking out of your plates.

It's pretty vital that you really watch the amount of overlap in the shank on those toestops, I'd just be sick to see you blow out a stop & ruin some of the nicest One holes I've ever seen. Same with your Jamnuts, you want to get them scary tight. I always use a 17mm flat "Cluster Wrench" you can get for $9.00 from any decent bicycle shop & use them on my Jamnuts, cheap insurance against strippage. Another reason for the added length on "Blingpins" is to maximize the thread overlap into the plate & minimize the chance of strippage.

You'll be "Hauling Chilli" before you know it, enjoy!

Derrick......
i agree... check the jamnuts every few weeks you dont want to trash a plate just because of lazyness... if they get loose they will wobble around in there and can also screw the "nycon" threads up.... and if you can get ways with moving the toestop up some to get it threaded more as the shelby says id do it just to be on the safe side and make things last longer
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #16
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff McKinney View Post
"This build is really sharp!
Now if you like to add a seriously good boost to your turning response, try a longer kingpin (titanium =>$6.25 each) and the reversed cone scheme"

Where from?
Amazon.com 12" Titanium 3/8-16 threaded rod Grade 2 (not the strongest grade so no jumping advised) ~$25. You have to cut it up into four 3" kingpins. Worked OK with a sharp hacksaw for me.

-Armadillo
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #17
dgandy311

Thanks for all of the good advise. I definitely don't want to ruin the plates, so I'll take the suggested precautions of ensuring not to much thread sticking out and to make sure the lock nuts are tight.
Old October 28th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #18
FarmTruk
rusty bones

Quote:
...Same with your Jamnuts, you want to get them scary tight. I always use a 17mm flat "Cluster Wrench" you can get for $9.00 from any decent bicycle shop & use them on my Jamnuts, cheap insurance against strippage...

along that same train of thought...why forego using the "squared-of" kingpin clip washers between the jam nut and plate?

Retro-authenticity?

Seems like they'd go a good ways to allowing the blingpin's jam nut to be tightened sufficently, as well as protect the plate's nylon surface?

this....

FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #19
lharasim
Skate to get High

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmTruk View Post
along that same train of thought...why forego using the "squared-of" kingpin clip washers between the jam nut and plate?

Retro-authenticity?

Seems like they'd go a good ways to allowing the blingpin's jam nut to be tightened sufficently, as well as protect the plate's nylon surface?

this....

FYI

If anyone remembers correctly (maybe suregrip forgot) there is suppose to be a "star" washer under the nut ...that's what keeps it from loosening
Old October 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #20
MR SHELBY
The Other White Meat

Talking There Have Been More Variations Of Lasers Than Perhaps...

Any other plates I've ever encountered. These 1982 Onehole Laser Plates are CORRECT in assembly, I have a bunch of "Clip Washers" but these plates were not built with them & properly adjusted & maintained don't require them.

For the record, early Laser plates were carefully surfaced at the Jamnut/kingpin area. At some later date, clip washers were added to Lasers as a cost cutting measure & bandaid after brain dead skaters neglected their equipment & then attempted to hold Laser accountable for their own ignorance. Skaters should always read the instructions that come with their gear.

These 1982 Vintage Onehole Lasers were completely pure when I got them virtually new, the trucks on these Lasers are different from trucks on later model Lasers, adding clip washers & or star washers? would alter the proper factory geometery.

After speaking at length with my customer David, I know he wanted these skates built the way they came back in 1982 except for keeping the Blingpins I added while I owned them.

I don't feel that adding either clip washers or some big ass mushy star washer to a plate or kingpin assembly that wasn't designed with them is going to add to the sense of purity & precision that I aim for at Red Rocket Custom Skates.

Derrick......