S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 10th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #21
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Squiggy 2008 IS ON

I have now talked to Jonathan Nole and got that side of the story, and as expected it is very different from the story that Breeze has been airing.

I'm not going to say who is right and who is wrong that is up to Breeze and Jonathan to mend, but what I can say is that SQUIGGY 2008 is ON

I'm new to skating, but not new to coordinating big events with hundreds of participants. So I can coordinate the event, I have the time to do it and I WANT Squiggy to continue - but I need the skaters help and I hope I have that. Do I have your guys help and support?

We are all here to skate, race and have fun - yes?!!?

There will come an official press release within the next few weeks, but reserve 2nd weekend of March 2008 for a sunny race in Florida.

And now to the "he said she said" for those interested in those "juicy tid bits"...

1: The park is a public park, but once a year in the second weekend of March the park will be closed to general public and that's when we can have it. We (skaters) have to share with the bikers, but we have the park from 11 am Saturday and the rest of the weekend. Which means we can both have a time trial and a race. Is it likely that the park will be closed to general public for one more weekend "just" for skaters. No, but not impossible. That's why I'm going forward and cooperating with this weekend, because here we know for sure that we can have a race. If we say no to this, we will not know if we can have a race at all.

2: Is the park trying to push out the skaters?
NO! They want us there and are very eager to get this to work so everybody is happy. They (the WTA) wants as many participants as possible, because that will "justify" to the county that there is a need and want for Squiggy to continue.

3: Is there a "safety issue"?
NO! What happened last year was that the bikes time trial (Saturday morning) ran overtime (less than 30 minutes) and the skaters had to wait to get started. Jonathan was sorry that happened and acknowledged that it was upsetting for the skaters to wait (everybody warmed up and ready to go) and that's why we have the park from 11am and not 10am this year, so that there's 1hr "buffer" so that will not happen again.

4: Funding.
That's to be discussed, but it is a fundraiser for the park. The money raised stays within the park and there's no reason that if skaters wants to use that money for something (whatever that could be) that it can't be channeled back to the skaters that use the park. The fundraiser part of the deal is less than $30 for each skater, depending on how many events that we choose to put on. So this is no different from a lot of other events/races - we pay a sign-up fee and get a race in return

5: Time of the year.
Previous years there has been a social night skate. Breeze wanted the Squiggy to be placed on a weekend where there was a full moon to make that skate more safe - which makes lots of sense, but a night skate can still take place, just bring a flashlight Is it important that there's a social night skate at the same time as the Squiggy marathon? Maybe and maybe not, it would be fun to have, but again we can always have a night skate, we can't always close the park to public and have a race. Therefore Squiggy is always on the second weekend of March. I personally happen to think that makes a lot of sense, and I will work towards getting a night skate arranged during that weekend, if it looks like that you guys would like to have a night skate. If its not something you would like, then well - I guess we will not have one as part of Squiggy but keep it as our usual social skates throughout the year.

I think this is all, and I seriously hope that Breeze will be part of this and I will do my outmost to make this a skate that we are looking forward to and that this race will stay on the calender for many many years to come.

Stay tuned

And happy skater times/Birgit
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #22
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default 2008 Squiggy Inline Classic - it IS ON

It's now official - Squiggy is on! Yibiiii

Here's everybody's change of having a BIG SAY in what the Squiggy will consist of, so please give me/us your .02 and let's all make this our event an event that we all are looking forward to participate in.

I can't wait to hear what would make a perfect event and a event worth from out-of-staters to come to.

What we have is:
- A beautiful and smoooooooth 7 mile loop, closed to public, no traffic = sweet and safe skating.
- Sun and lots of it and in March warm, but not hot weather. It should be dry and toasty that time of year.
- A trail from Sat. 11am and the rest of the weekend.

What we need is:
- Your input to the event

nightskate, marathon, marathon, timetrials, trip to the beach or or or or or

If you want to read background stories go to http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5272
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #23
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Whatever else happens, I hope you guys get to have this great event in 2008. The video for which Jessica posted the link was just so cool-looking. Beautiful asphalt and fun-looking skaters having a great time. Best wishes to all of you.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #24
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Whatever else happens, I hope you guys get to have this great event in 2008. The video for which Jessica posted the link was just so cool-looking. Beautiful asphalt and fun-looking skaters having a great time. Best wishes to all of you.
Thanks Bill!

What video is that? Please share.

Also come and participate in the Squiggy, you will love it!
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #25
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

2008 Squiggy Inline Classic - it is ON:
http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5355
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #26
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Thanks Bill!

What video is that? Please share.

Also come and participate in the Squiggy, you will love it!
Hey Birgit, I sent you a PM.

I am trying to figure out a good excuse to be in Tampa in March...
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM   #27
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Hey Birgit, I sent you a PM.

I am trying to figure out a good excuse to be in Tampa in March...
I can give you one "Squiggy Inline Classic 2008" + sun + lots af skaters + happy times + + + + + + You need more??

I need the excuse to go to Houston in November, care to share one?

Ahhh I got it, Houston Inline Marathon
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #28
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Ha, yeah, you are right, that is a very good excuse. I need to find a thousand bucks lying on the ground, is what I really need.
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #29
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

This is how Flatwoods looks like with all the happy skaters there!

Jessica's pictures from Squiggy 2007

Last edited by Birgit; May 28th, 2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: added the pictures link
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #30
panch0

Tonight I will light a candle in honor of Saint Birgit!!
panch0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #31
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
Tonight I will light a candle in honor of Saint Birgit!!
Actually my name means the exalted one, but it's fine with me just to be called Birgit

I will in return light a candle for Panch0 and the smurfs - I would love to have them do a video/picture series from Flatwoods
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #32
panch0

Quote:
I will in return light a candle for Panch0 and the smurfs - I would love to have them do a video/picture series from Flatwoods
Lots of candles last October 4 which was Saint panch0... well, actually Saint Francis[co]! panch0 is a nick for Francisco!

Anyway... I will gladly do the "Squiggy according to panch0"

Nity Nite Exalted One!
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #33
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
Lots of candles last October 4 which was Saint panch0... well, actually Saint Francis[co]! panch0 is a nick for Francisco!

Anyway... I will gladly do the "Squiggy according to panch0"

Nity Nite Exalted One!
Cool, can't wait to see the "Squiggy according to panch0" ! That can only be very entertaining!
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #34
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Bridget, Thanks for caring and working to insure Squiggy continues. Oh "Exhaulted One", let me know how your Orlando skaten neighbors can help. If we have the course from 11am on,how about a "Last One Out" event after the time trial? Any other suggestions out there for some short fun events that can be done before we hit the beach for the rest of the afternoon?

LezSk8!
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:32 PM   #35
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LezSk8 View Post
Bridget, Thanks for caring and working to insure Squiggy continues. Oh "Exhaulted One", let me know how your Orlando skaten neighbors can help. If we have the course from 11am on,how about a "Last One Out" event after the time trial? Any other suggestions out there for some short fun events that can be done before we hit the beach for the rest of the afternoon?

LezSk8!
Good idea, LezSk8, with the "last one out", I'll keep it in mind.

And my name is spelled the scandinavian way "Birgit", thanks

You can help and I'll get back to you and the board when the planning gets under its way, to keep you posted.

In the meantime, please come forward with ideas etc.
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #36
panch0

Quote:
And my name is spelled the scandinavian way "Birgit", thanks
Haggen Daz Sokkolat!!
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #37
speedysktr
President of Everything

As President of Everything, from time to time it is my pleasure to acknowledge the citizens of skating whose actions demonstrate the most sincere expression of the love of skating. In her short time here, Birgit has not only embraced skating wholeheartedly, she has stepped forward to promote skating by picking up the slack and keeping an event alive. By tackling A2A in her first year on speedskates and then following that by doggedly pursuing the salvation of the Squiggy Inline Classic she has demonstrated in no uncertain terms the heart and spirit that will save our sport.

All Hail Birgit!!!

<cue the Real Men of Genius theme music>

Real Chicks of Skating
Here's to you Skater Chick that wouldn't let her hometown race die.
Your dogged determination has made it possible for skaters of all levels
to join together and mutually embrace the speed we all love....
....she's a Real Chick of Skating

this message brought to you by speedysktr industries
please skate responsibly
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #38
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
As President of Everything, from time to time it is my pleasure to acknowledge the citizens of skating whose actions demonstrate the most sincere expression of the love of skating.

Here's to you Skater Chick that wouldn't let her hometown race die.
Your dogged determination has made it possible for skaters of all levels
to join together and mutually embrace the speed we all love....
....she's a Real Chick of Skating
Eyyyy m'lord, don't get me crying here - but thanks for the kind words! Highly appreciated!

Re. A2A - pat your self on your shoulder, be real proud, you made me get this far and this is just the beginning of a lot more skating and that being the speedy kind!

Last edited by Birgit; October 12th, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #39
The General
Ninja Skater

Birgit,

Let me know what I can do to help.

Don Patton
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #40
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Don,

Thanks!! I'll do.