S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 30th, 2019, 02:47 PM   #1
thisismrjones
I skated today.

Default Help ID New New-to-me Mystery Plates

Just got a pair of Riedell 297's, with plates that I cannot find any info on... The only marking is "SKATER" along the the center, stamped on the bushing cover, and they have "T. 16" stamped next to the front mounting holes.The plates have adjustable pivot pins, AND cup. The axels are 7mm...i haven't measured the wheelbase yet, but they definitely seem shorter than factory recommendation.

If i knew how to attach a pic, i would!!!

Any help is very much appreciated.

Also- if I can't get a model, how can I go about finding replacement cushions for my trucks??

Chris

Last edited by thisismrjones; October 2nd, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
thisismrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 03:01 PM   #2
thisismrjones
I skated today.

Default Images

FYI, i figured out how to post pictures on my profile page, and i added some pictures of the plates there... Happy to add more, just let me know if it would be helpful.
Old October 1st, 2019, 07:04 PM   #3
thisismrjones
I skated today.

Plates are 150 axel spread on a size 8
Old October 2nd, 2019, 04:06 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Skater plates.

I have a T 16 Skater Polar figure plate. The axle center to axle center is 160mm which is indicated by the 16. Spanish brand made in the early 2Ks.

As far as shorter than "factory recommendation"?? I ignore the "book" when building sk8s. Personally my Polar is on a size 9 Riedell 911. The "book" says I need a 180.

If you are into digging through the web https://web.archive.org/web/20040407...0/patinaje.htm The US importer was https://web.archive.org/web/20040413...terdirect.com/ and as far as I know was the only US source for parts.

Good luck finding parts. I did custom cushions for mine years ago.
Old October 5th, 2019, 03:47 PM   #5
thisismrjones
I skated today.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I have a T 16 Skater Polar figure plate. The axle center to axle center is 160mm which is indicated by the 16. Spanish brand made in the early 2Ks.

As far as shorter than "factory recommendation"?? I ignore the "book" when building sk8s. Personally my Polar is on a size 9 Riedell 911. The "book" says I need a 180.

If you are into digging through the web https://web.archive.org/web/20040407...0/patinaje.htm The US importer was https://web.archive.org/web/20040413...terdirect.com/ and as far as I know was the only US source for parts.

Good luck finding parts. I did custom cushions for mine years ago.

Thanks so much for the information, Doc.

Are the plates aluminum do you think? I wish I could find specs on them...or even knew what model they are. I wonder what they retailed for too...

Would you be able to point me in the right direction regarding making custom cushions?

Also, I'm considering moving the mount position of the plates, and wonder if you would offer your thoughts. There are two reasons im thinking of drilling new holes in the soles of the new to me Riedell 297's.:

1- My left plate seems slightly (4 or 5mm) more skewed than the right
mount. Im not sure if I would need to move the left plate enough to provide adequate clearance from the current holes- is there a recommended minimum distance between old and new mounting holes?

2- I'm happy with getting familiar with the new shorter wheelbase- I've never had art boots, or any skate with a substantial heel hight before either. I feel the front axels are slightly towards the back of the ball of my foot, and the heel is centered. Would you recommend I move the plates forward, if it satisfies a better position for my feet at the front axels?

Thanks again for your help. I'm a very excited new skater, and feel lucky to have found such a potentially great set up for cheap, and I'm dying to start skating in them!!

Chris
Old October 28th, 2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Red face Check your inbox.

I finally answered your PM Sorry for the delay.