S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old August 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #1
Gero

Default Your Vertical Setup Pictures?

I am very nosy about pictures of your skates for vertical skating in bowls, pools, ramps and halfpipes and skateparks.

I know Roller Dudette does it, but didn't notices that anyone else in this forum is doing it.

I will start with a pic of mine to give this thread a push.

Cheers

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #2
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Hey, can you grind with those well? I'm lost on how to grind with mine. The guys at the park told me my grind plates were too flat and I couldnt lock on.

Does the long wheel base help? I was thinking next time around I should try longer since I dont need to get on my toes. If I lean too far forward, I DO fall forward having my wheels under the ball of my feet, but if I dont go forward enough, I can fall backwards. Sometimes I wonder if I should get a cheap pair of aggro inlines since the balance on them is easier, they are lighter for jumpin, and easy to grind. Its almost impossible to fall forwards on those. I could easily pick up stuff faster, better. But I love my trucks and that would take out all the FUN. You cant carve with inlines. I donno why, I just love quads. I wish you lived close because I would LOVE to have another person to skate with on quads!

Heres mine:

I'm taking off the toe stop soon and putting in plugs. I was going over these ramps that are 2 tight bumps today, lots of fun, and my stopper hit the second one going up.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #3
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I'm taking off the toe stop soon and putting in plugs. I was going over these ramps that are 2 tight bumps today, lots of fun, and my stopper hit the second one going up.
I've had that problem. You can't just raise them up a bit?
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #4
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

Quote:
.... You cant carve with inlines.
Actually you can but it does take a lot of practice. You have to get into a deeper squat position than with quads.

Quote:
.... I'm taking off the toe stop soon and putting in plugs. I was going over these ramps that are 2 tight bumps today, lots of fun, and my stopper hit the second one going up.
Once you're used to skating without toe stops you won't want them back on again. You have way more freedom of movement without them. If you're not going to be using your ramp skates in a rink you don't really need the plugs. Their only purpose is to keep the plate from gouging up the expensive rink floor and totally pee o'ing the rink manager. They're of no use in stopping. If they manage to touch the floor your face will be following close behind.

Addendum - I just noticed you use toe guards so you will need something to hold them on with (either plugs or you could slice the rubber off a pair of toe stops and just use the bolt inside. It has a flat head on it.)

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #5
roller_dudette
skate addict!

toe stops serve a HUGE purpose, keeping my toe protectors on lol! Besides that, I never use them in the park. I just spin. Not sure if thats right but it seems more effective. But they are up all the way now. I can only find one plug but I had some mini stops. Hopefully they wont get in the way of those ramps cause those were FUN! If it werent for the need to preserve my boots, yeah, I would just take them out.

But I dont think I would enjoy inlines as much. I think they would be heck a lot easier to grind and go straight up/down ramps. But I feel like you are taking the wave out of the surf with inlines. When I put my quads on, I'm HAPPY! Dont know why lol. Just am. I guess I love the trucks. But I'm amazed how much lighter the inlines feel. I guess whats below the feet is more important then on. I'm liking the plastic plates even more now. Just not sure why I have a grind bar now when I'm not sure how to grind??? I was told I would hurt myself when I was going to test out the round rail.
Old August 7th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #6
RS Dave

Quote:
Hey, can you grind with those well? I'm lost on how to grind with mine. The guys at the park told me my grind plates were too flat and I couldnt lock on.

Something like this maybe?

Old August 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, eventually my plates will bend in some like that. I'm not sure if I should put a bar in the center and bang it in some lol? But even so, its not like inlines with a semi circle to really clasp on which I think would make life much easier in grinding. I guess there are benefits/tradeoffs to whatever road I take. Since I want to carve bowls and love my roller skates, I guess it will just take me longer and be harder to figure this out.
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #8
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I put in the mini stops and they did the trick! I had a total blast today going over the humps and my stopper didnt hit.

But I also had the chance to take my art skates outside. I will NEVER skate with a metal reactive plate outside. Not fun, vibrations were tiring and annoying. Too much speed and much reactivity will send you flying in a not fun way. I also didnt like the plate totally flush back. Hit a rock and it throws you. Hey, I like the fact that cheap plates work great outside!!
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #9
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerSkater Dave View Post
Something like this maybe?

the bolts holding on the skate are too long,,,break them off, they might dig into the wheel and send you flying.
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #10
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Keen-Eye MA-Rick (rwsz)

Hi All,
RD, RSkating-Dave, , ,

Just reading and I see that MA-Rick has a keen eye for those long screws that are too close to touching your front wheels.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; August 8th, 2007 at 03:47 AM. Reason: Never remember Rick's userID
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #11
RS Dave

While I agree the bolts in question should be trimmed off, in this case they won't touch the wheels since the particular skates in question have wide trucks so the bolts are nowhere near the wheels.

Old August 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
While I agree the bolts in question should be trimmed off, in this case they won't touch the wheels since the particular skates in question have wide trucks so the bolts are nowhere near the wheels.

ok thats good then but you can always get your finger caught working on them lol,,,,use a bolt cutter and then ping them with a hammer or move them back and forth with a pliers, vice grip or small socket and then file or ping them. i would do the front and the backs, just looks cleaner too.
Old August 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #13
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I could be wrong but arent those Daniel Knopf's skates?
Old August 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #14
RS Dave

Quote:
I could be wrong but arent those Daniel Knopf's skates?
Yes they are.

Old August 8th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #15
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Yes they are.

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I know my skates.

Man, now that I will have a good job, I can legitimately daydream about my next boot lol. Oh and bearings and wheels and oh my, getting excited lol.
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #16
rwsz

Quote:
I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! I know my skates.

Man, now that I will have a good job, I can legitimately daydream about my next boot lol. Oh and bearings and wheels and oh my, getting excited lol.

rd you got a new job in your field or what??? good for you and good luck.
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #17
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, unfortunately, I will be unemployed for a month maybe. But I am going into a new field, YAY! I have a government job, starting at the bottom as a very entry level web developer in PHP. Mostly data entry stuff starting. Nice people, low stress low key environment, stable work place. Great prospects for the future! So after working there 6 months, things will look good. Out of the chaotic, high stress graphics field. I like long term more single task jobs. Web is more long term, slow and steady, black and white thinking type of work, either its true or false, right or wrong. No more mind reading. Much less stressful for me, and I can stay there a long time. Great opportunities for the future! They will teach/train me in programming too. One day I will be rich like the rest of you guys lol. I just want to live comfortably financially and not have contract jobs/unstable employment. And after I am trained, I will have flex hours. LOVE IT! No unexpected overtime, health insurance, retirement, etc. I'm VERY happy except for the month unemployment since they are moving locations. But that gives me time to study and sleep and skate lol. Long commute but oh well.
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #18
rwsz

Quote:
Well, unfortunately, I will be unemployed for a month maybe. But I am going into a new field, YAY! I have a government job, starting at the bottom as a very entry level web developer in PHP. Mostly data entry stuff starting. Nice people, low stress low key environment, stable work place. Great prospects for the future! So after working there 6 months, things will look good. Out of the chaotic, high stress graphics field. I like long term more single task jobs. Web is more long term, slow and steady, black and white thinking type of work, either its true or false, right or wrong. No more mind reading. Much less stressful for me, and I can stay there a long time. Great opportunities for the future! They will teach/train me in programming too. One day I will be rich like the rest of you guys lol. I just want to live comfortably financially and not have contract jobs/unstable employment. And after I am trained, I will have flex hours. LOVE IT! No unexpected overtime, health insurance, retirement, etc. I'm VERY happy except for the month unemployment since they are moving locations. But that gives me time to study and sleep and skate lol. Long commute but oh well.
thats great news,,,,a new government employee,,,oh no lol. seems like a lot of room for advancement. think good benefits and the works, vacation. you will be able to afford top of the line skating equipment now. NO you will never be as rich as the rest of us lmao. enjoy,,,even flex hours wow,,,how many days a week??

Ciao
Old August 13th, 2007, 04:57 AM   #19
CrazeeDave
Geriatric Quad Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero View Post
I am very nosy about pictures of your skates for vertical skating in bowls, pools, ramps and halfpipes and skateparks.

I know Roller Dudette does it, but didn't notices that anyone else in this forum is doing it.

I will start with a pic of mine to give this thread a push.

Cheers

Gero
There are a few aggressive vert skaters here but most are inline boys.
My quads are still holing up well:

Reidell Classics, Century plates with std width trucks, 8mm tempered axles and extremely soft Gyros.

Oh no, another Gov't slacker

Last edited by CrazeeDave; August 13th, 2007 at 04:58 AM. Reason: dudette
CrazeeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeDave View Post
There are a few aggressive vert skaters here but most are inline boys.
My quads are still holing up well:

Reidell Classics, Century plates with std width trucks, 8mm tempered axles and extremely soft Gyros.

Oh no, another Gov't slacker

Hey, how do you have your plates put on, forward? Do you get them longer then artistic setup?

Your boots should be in a mueseum lol.