S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old September 8th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Skateway

Default selecting groups to be skated at competitions

I have a suggestion on picking groups to be skated at competitions! I have noticed at nationals, dance events with an elimination and a final are hard fought competitions in elimination and quite often poorly skated in finals. I think skater's are only practicing the elimination dances. I think the groups should be selected at the competition, not early like it is now.
Skateway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:07 PM   #2
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateway View Post
I have a suggestion on picking groups to be skated at competitions! I have noticed at nationals, dance events with an elimination and a final are hard fought competitions in elimination and quite often poorly skated in finals. I think skater's are only practicing the elimination dances. I think the groups should be selected at the competition, not early like it is now.
A lot of people seem to come apart in finals. At least that was some of my observation at regionals/nationals.
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #3
RogerSK8s

I think you both bring up a good point here. I, too, used to think like that.

Yes, many of the events at nationals are, as you say, hard fought. However, I wonder if you are saying that at an invitational or even a small league meet, that the events are NOT hard fought ? Aren't you SUPPOSED to go out and do the VERY BEST that you can, even if it is a small event ?

I happen to listen to a lot of talk radio and on a local station, the afternoon talk host occasionally hosts the coach for THE Ohio State Buckeye Football team. Under him, they won many BIG TEN championsips and maybe even a National Championship. THIS GUY IS HARD CORE ! He asks a question of the team and you darn well better have THE RIGHT ANSWER or your a$$ was his and he came down on you like nothing ELSE.

What I'm getting at is this, well, not that competition is EVERYTHING, but if you enter a contest, WHAT are you doing it for ? What do you want out of competing ? And that is how many big coaches approach the 'game'. (unfortunately, not enough sk8ing coaches know how to each 'how to approach' competing)

I see very many sk8rs who simply sk8 for the fun of it and really don't care whether they are doing ANYTHNG right. And don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. I sk8 for fun and I really enjoy what I do when I have my sk8s on. But I also want to do it right, too. And if you do it right, you will not only stumble less, but you will make a lot of people watch you (that's good if you're an exhibitionist,,,,). It IS safer if you know what to do and dO it right.

Bottom line is this - BASICS are everything.

What are the basic steps in ANY (forward) dance ? LOF, ROF, LIF, RIF, XF, XB, Swing, Chasse, rockovers. If you spend the time necessary to do all these steps correctly, and be able to do them without thinking, you will be able to sk8 ANY dance. After all, different dances are simply these steps in different sequences.

But not enough coaches dwell on these "boring" basics (OH, don't forget posture).

People (the "coffee-clubbers") at the rink where I practiced for many years used to sit drinking their coffee, ea cakes and snicker about how I sk8d, seemingly doing nothing. And when they would ask me why I did that boring stuff, I would say that I admired the people who were able to sk8 well and since I had an eye for details, I just knew their accomplishments were built on a good FOUNDATION OF BASICS. One of them even said that I should quit, that I'd NEVER be any good.

When I started competing, I, too, was anxious about what the draw would be for regionals and nationals. But I still continued working on my basics and after a while, I really didn't care what the dances would be. I just knew that if I had the basics, I should be able to sk8 anything they called.

One more bottom line is this - practice basics. Practice More basics.

Talking about sk8ing poorly in finals is strictly a psycholigical issue. If you are prone to nerves, you will fold under pressure. Heck, you'll fold in the elims, too. It's all in how you are programmed for pressure (or programmed NOT for pressure). I used to be so nervious that I would fold at any competition, no matter how many sk8rs there were, and no matter how good (OR bad) I was beforehand. I really didn't understand the psychology of competing. It took me (quite) a few years before I understood what I had to do to prepare my mind for competing. Now, I really don't care what the event is, or whether I'm in an elim or a final. I have a "job" to do and I just go out there and do it. In fact, the more people who are watching, the better I like it. It's called "putting on a show" for the spectators. You have to make the people want to watch you and if you like what you're doing, you will do it better, each time.

It's also nice to have a coach who is supportive, rather than being condescending or confrontational. Believe me, I've had ALL THREE types and I'd much rather have the full support of my coach, before, during and after, even if I make a major misteak.

Of the types - condescending or confrontational, I'd rather have another type who simply stands there and says NOTHING if I make an error. I had one strangely different (to me) coach who was supportive. I wasn't used to the support. I had been expecting her to attack me, the way a former coach ALWAYS did. Her response was, "why should I add pressure by attacking you ? I know that you have a lot of pressure on you and that you are doing the best you can so why should I add any more pressure?" I learned to respect her with that statement.

There is a lot of sport psychology in sk8ing which not enough coaches understand. If more did, the overall quality of sk8ing would improve markedly.
RogerSK8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #4
Jimmie P
2SkatingDance

Talking

Excellent point please say that again REAL LOUD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skateway View Post