S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old June 13th, 2017, 04:34 AM   #1
Spencer.Berry

Default Who's going to Apostle this weekend?

Any of you going to be at the Apostle Islands Inline Marathon this weekend?
I've been wanting to do this one for years, and I'm finally going!
Hope we get lucky with the weather!
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #2
SkateMO

I wish I were going. It's a great race.

In terms of the weather, it always seems to either rain at that race or be wet at the start of the race (or have a threat of rain during the race). So, my point is to say, weather always tends to be factor regardless of whether it physically rains or stays dry - because again, rain is always in the forecast. And, oftentimes, skaters spend a lot of time debating equipment choices because they try to predict the conditions.

On the bright side, even if it rains, it's an easy course to skate in the rain. The last time I did it, there was standing water on the roads. There were some heavy downpours while we were skating. Other than a few things here and there, rain didn't have an impact. We were still skating fast and having fun.

My advice would be to use "regular wheels", regardless of the conditions. I can't speak for the 125 wheel options, but I would use a hard wheel from MPC or Atom or even Matter (if you are using 110s). My preferred wheel is the G13, but I tend to use something like the "Booms" if it rains. I think G13s can be a little iffy in wet conditions. But, assuming your technique is relatively good, I definitely wouldn't go for a rain wheel - but that's just me. The only real technical spot on the entire course that might give rain wheels an advantage would be the finish...because it's a 90 degree right-hand turn and that's the only spot where slipping out could cost you placement / time.

Good luck.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #3
ese002

I wish. The travel logistics of this race are formidable, though, and I started a new job barely two months ago. I just couldn't pull it together in time.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #4
kufman

Would like to go, but we can't afford to pay a babysitter for 36 hours straight Truth be told, I am not in shape enough to do a marathon anyway.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #5
gopherfan

Results can be found here. Participants are down from 371 last year to 351 this year. Looks like Steve Meisinger took the lead on lap two and maintained a two minute lead for the rest of the race. Kara Parker also won with a solo finish. I'm curious if the course dried out after some rain overnight? This would be the best race in North America if the weather was drier and it was easier to get to. As Ty said, the pavement takes water well, but most of us prefer dry pavement.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #6
Spencer.Berry

It was an AWESOME race! Blue sky, totally dry pavement, and lots of great people out there today! I turned 50 on Thursday, so this was my first race in the 50-59 pro/advanced group. We had a large fast group and caught a lot of the younger guys who started a minute earlier. Super fun! I definitely want to come back!
Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Spencer.Berry

There are tons of great photos from the race all over FB, but here are a few that were easy to link to in inline images:

Embedded images above are from this site:
https://kennedyonsports.smugmug.com/...2017/i-JNbBhDz
Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:30 AM   #8
Spencer.Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
The travel logistics of this race are formidable
Very formidable indeed!
Wednesday night June 14th, we did an overnight flight from Portland to Chicago. Arrived in Chicago early morning Thursday the 15th. Drove up to the Milwaukee airport to pick up our older daughter who was flying in from NY. From there, we drove all the way up to my mom's house in Door County (extreme NE part of WI, above Green Bay). On the 16th, we drove from my mom's house over to Bayfield, WI, which is a 6 hour drive. Got up early on the 17th to do the race (that was the fun part, of course!). Immediately after the race, back in the car for the 6 hour drive back to my mom's house. Wow, that was exhausting. The race was the easy part! But yes, totally worth it!