S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old February 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #21
WowSk8

Really great analyses, Mo!
WowSk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #22
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Quote:
Originally Posted by '59 View Post

They clearly practice that drill a lot. I hope our Boston Massacre has been practicing to recognise that set-up and launch a Beyonslay interception counter-attack.

Cheers,
Mo

I hope they catch that on video. I love me some Slay rides, but to see a team be able to recognize and -react- to prevent it would be some awesome derby as well.
Old February 12th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #23
Poobah

It might be REALLY interesting to see what happened when KCRW beat GGRD in the first round of '07 Nationals.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #24
Cat O'Mighty

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjester View Post
I hope they catch that on video. I love me some Slay rides, but to see a team be able to recognize and -react- to prevent it would be some awesome derby as well.
The reaction to prevent it is the blockers job who can see the Beyonslay launch sequence going off. This would be the preferred answer I think.

But what can the jammer do? A blocker comes up fast with a shoulder block to throw her off stride and cuts in front with a booty block to keep her pinned. Without even looking, it's a good guess that Beyonslay is already barrelling in. What is the jammer's best reflexive defensive/evasive response to this situation? Anything fancier than crouching and bracing to take the next hit on her shoulder and avoid the full ride?

--Mo
Cat O'Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #25
Skitch
Mental Midget

Quote:
What is the jammer's best reflexive defensive/evasive response to this situation? Anything fancier than crouching and bracing to take the next hit on her shoulder and avoid the full ride?

--Mo
Curl up in a ball and cry... maybe Beyonslay will have mercy on her
Skitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #26
Roxy R. Soxoff

She's an animal!! I want to be Beyonslay when I grow up.
Roxy R. Soxoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #27
Roxy R. Soxoff

Quote:
The reaction to prevent it is the blockers job who can see the Beyonslay launch sequence going off. This would be the preferred answer I think.

But what can the jammer do? A blocker comes up fast with a shoulder block to throw her off stride and cuts in front with a booty block to keep her pinned. Without even looking, it's a good guess that Beyonslay is already barrelling in. What is the jammer's best reflexive defensive/evasive response to this situation? Anything fancier than crouching and bracing to take the next hit on her shoulder and avoid the full ride?

--Mo

I think the only thing you could really do is have one of your blockers constantly engaging her. Hit, hit, hit, hit, hit. That way she's a bit distracted. Otherwise you're pretty much screwed. LOL
Roxy R. Soxoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #28
Darkjester
On a hot summer night..

Well.. What I see as a reason they are getting hit is not enough situational awareness.

The set up as we see is a 'co'blocker shoulder checking the Jammer to set her up. Then 'Slay' comes in for the body block. If you notice from the video's Slay isn't moving Immediately there is still a bit of time, so a Opposing team

1. Should have a Teammate up there to help the jammer. When the initial block happens either blocking in front of the set up blocker, or blocking Slay from coming in with a body block of their own. i.e. Take one for the team.

2. The Jammer if she has been popped, needs to look to see whats happening around her. Note from above 'Slay' isn't moving in for the ride until well after the shoulder block. The jammer 'should' if paying attention to whats going on around her, have time to Jump forward, or hit the brakes.