S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old December 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default SEDS

Stage 1 SEDS Skate Equipment Deficiency Syndrome......

A sk8r realizes they do not have a particular piece of necessary rare, expensive and /or obsolete sk8 equipment...... This commonly occurs to returning sk8rs that want to re-create their old sk8s or the sk8s they always dreamed of...Their sk8ing pleasure is now deficient...and they are on a quest to get the sk8 item they need to be happy.

Stage 2 SEDS Skate Equipment Dependency Syndrome......

The sk8r has successfully searched high and low and SCORED their needed item...but in the process they pick up a few other items...then a few more and soon the sk8r (now a SEDS victim) is constantly on the prowl for more.... In other words dependent on getting more and better cool sk8ing stuff....

Sk8rs will jump back and forth between Stage 1 and 2. It is a never ending cycle...with NO known cure.....

BEWARE Full blown SEDS can be dangerous to wallets, friendships and sanity in general.....but it sure is fun.......
5/9/2011 Hazards newly noted: SEDS is hazardous to current intimate relationships and may prevent new ones from forming..
9/4/2011 Stage 3 SEDS? Identified by Big Nick and may be exacerbated by too much Vegemite ....
Quote:
I think I might be developing some horrible mutant third stage of SEDS where I buy things that I think other people need as well as still buying the stuff I know I don't need!
Hopefully this is isolated to kangaroo land... We may require an international quarantine..

Last edited by Doc Sk8; September 4th, 2011 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Per special request
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 03:50 AM   #2
The Notorious DGD
Has Too Many Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Stage 1 SEDS Skate Equipment Deficiency Syndrome......

A sk8r realizes they do not have a particular piece of necessary rare, expensive and /or obsolete sk8 equipment...... This commonly occurs to returning sk8rs that want to re-create their old sk8s or the sk8s they always dreamed of...Their sk8ing pleasure is now deficient...and they are on a quest to get the sk8 item they need to be happy.

Stage 2 SEDS Skate Equipment Dependency Syndrome......

The sk8r has successfully searched high and low and SCORED their needed item...but in the process they pick up a few other items...then a few more and soon the sk8r (now a SEDS victim) is constantly on the prowl for more.... In other words dependent on getting more and better cool sk8ing stuff....

Sk8rs will jump back and forth between Stage 1 and 2. It is a never ending cycle...with NO known cure.....

BEWARE Full blown SEDS can be dangerous to wallets, friendships and sanity in general.....but it sure is fun.......
An important thing to note about the diagnostic criteria for SEDS is that the "necessity" of the gear sought out in Stage 1 is in the eye of the beholder. For instance, I own several fully functioning pairs of skates. One has Roll-Line Variants, and one has Snyder Advantages -- both pretty respectable setups. My apartment is not currently up in flames, with all my "babies" trapped and doomed to die a horrible fiery death. One might argue that I consequently did not need the size-6 Targas I picked up on eBay earlier this month, and that I certainly did not need TWO pairs. One would be wrong.

Doc's diagnosis
NOT wrong...but maybe in denial......Early stage 2....

Last edited by Doc Sk8; December 24th, 2008 at 01:08 PM.
The Notorious DGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Iggy
DGS Racing

I think SEDS is kinda like a shoe fetish.......with wheels

Doc sez: Just wheels?? No bearings or plates??

Last edited by Doc Sk8; January 8th, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

Doc sez: Just wheels?? No bearings or plates??

Old January 8th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Fresh Eddie Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I got both SEDS and a shoe fetish... it's not easy being Fresh Eddie.
Fresh Eddie Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
aunapsk8
Afro Girl

Default Potential SEDS

I think I have the potential to have SEDS really bad. If I hit the lottery, look out, it might get ugly!!!
aunapsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
SKATERNVA
seds is hell

Talking

man i thank i got it crap guess i need to work over time.
SKATERNVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #8
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

Default SEDS..... out of remission..

My once controlled and dormant strain of SEDS has reared its UGLY head and is back with a VENGANCE!
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #9
njrinkrat
Old Skool Shuffler

i guess i'm stage two . i lost my old skates they were riedell boots on laser nycon plates fafnir brgs i think the wheels were huggers , so now i'm starting out i picked up a pair of carreras already changed the wheels and bearings and now i'm looking at changing the plates
njrinkrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10
tat2mike
808 Addiction!

I think doc should start seds ananamous meetings! The first step is admitting your an addict lol
tat2mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #11
ajchien
Trail seeker

Oh great, I start skating again and I find out SEDS exists. Seems like every one of my hobbies has an addiction ....

I play table tennis and there are the EJs (Equipment Junkies, folks easily spending over $2000/year on ping pong paddles alone ...),

and I also like doing basic car maintenence where folks have their own Strategic Oil Reserve (folks hoarding some 200 quarts of motor oil in their garage ... lol thats enough oil to last me 5 years ...)

So I think I might be developing *pre*-SEDS ... the constant checking on the internet for skating related accessories that I might want ...

Is there a self help group that needs to be formed?
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchien View Post
Oh great, I start skating again and I find out SEDS exists. Seems like every one of my hobbies has an addiction ....

Me too....

I play table tennis and there are the EJs (Equipment Junkies, folks easily spending over $2000/year on ping pong paddles alone ...),

I used to play ping pong but was never that into it.... Lemme guess, custom built CF paddles??

and I also like doing basic car maintenence where folks have their own Strategic Oil Reserve (folks hoarding some 200 quarts of motor oil in their garage ... lol thats enough oil to last me 5 years ...)

That one is new to me...

So I think I might be developing *pre*-SEDS ... the constant checking on the internet for skating related accessories that I might want ...

Yeah you are cranking up for sure!!

Is there a self help group that needs to be formed?
Help?? I don't think so...... More like: Abandon ALL HOPE ye who enter here!!!! Bwaa HAHAHAHA!!!
Old September 10th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #13
jberryiii
ontherollagain

Default seds complex w

Just started skating after a 10 year hiatus about 2 weeks ago...now brand news skates from a-town (395 skunk, driver, shamans, bones), and 4 sets of various lips......I really need to stop looking at this forum! lol unless you have some really sweet wicked lips you want to part with!
jberryiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #14
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Default Thanks

Thanks for posting that description. I have been seeing the SEDS on here for ages, and was too afraid to ask what it stood for.

Hmmm, going by my recent actions I may be coming down with it.

Oh oh!!
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #15
sc8tt
SHORT PLATE CREW

guilty. stage one was getting my skates... then my girlfriend skates... then my kid skates.

definately stage 2 now. i got new wheels... then her new boots and plates (getting better plates this week)hehe... then him new wheels... and his boots painted

now my second pair is on the way. it got me quick.

btw, i have the shoe thing too. over 100 pairs. 50+ are nike sb.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM   #16
ncsk8rgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc8tt View Post
guilty. stage one was getting my skates... then my girlfriend skates... then my kid skates.

definately stage 2 now. i got new wheels... then her new boots and plates (getting better plates this week)hehe... then him new wheels... and his boots painted

now my second pair is on the way. it got me quick.

btw, i have the shoe thing too. over 100 pairs. 50+ are nike sb.
welcome to the SEDS club..... You are on the right path and have been officially inducted by the SEDS queen herself. lol
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #17
sc8tt
SHORT PLATE CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsk8rgirl View Post
welcome to the SEDS club..... You are on the right path and have been officially inducted by the SEDS queen herself. lol
im honored
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #18
Art G

I think that in much the same way that Cyclothymia relates to bipolar disorder as BPIII, there is room for another type of SEDS.

Rather than a need to acquire only rare, expensive and /or obsolete sk8 equipment, the patient may feel an overpowering urge to possess the latest, fastest, lightest skate equipment as well.

For example, I already own my Oberhamer/Ultimate III quad setup, but then I did buy them when Roy was still alive, and Mike was still making the plates.
I presently have no desire to part with them.
But see my signature. And now I'm already trying to raise the money to try to get a second pair. Just because they are so freaking killer.

Last edited by Art G; November 2nd, 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:44 PM   #19
ncsk8rgirl

yeah... I like the light stuff too I am quiet sure that there is a separate category of SEDS that encompasses all of my skating related afflictions. It might be SEDS-X
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:18 AM   #20
The Dan
SEDS Free for 5 days

Default SEDS

SEDs=overtime=Happy Dan...