S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 13th, 2017, 08:51 PM   #1
Everybodyknows

Default Getting new skates right

Hi. I skated on old 1980s quad boots with krypton wheels for the last fifteen years which were hand-me-downs which I felt at home in immediately... then last September they disintegrated. So I ordered new skates, not really knowing what I was doing or what to look out for.

I got variant m plates, with black Risport Antares boots, yellow rubber cushions, roll line magnum 57D wheels. I skate at a family club once per week. My style is rhythmic and a bit elegant I think, lots of edges, long single leg glides, some speed skating, weaving in and out (sudden turns to avoid little kids!). I was heavily influenced as a kid in the 1970s by artistic/figure skating although I never went into it very much. I played hockey in my old boots a few times. The rink I use is a good flat, hard surface - a tiled basketball court. Don't intend to skate outdoors.

I have found the new skates hard to get used to but after six sessions I am much more confident. I can get speed with much less effort than on my old skates, but not the control yet. I have gradually tightened the trucks to 4 and 1/4 rotations which seems about right for forward skating, but backwards feels much more uncontrolled than on my previous skates: the inside edges pull much too strongly turning me round if I'm not careful. I reckon I need to plant my weight differently.

Issues: 1) I managed to flat spot the inside front wheel - probably dragged it in a poorly executed T stop, but as I now need to replace it, it has made me question if these are the right wheels for my style 2) when pushing off during a crossover I used to be able to extend my leg further but now the wheel slips just before my maximum extension. 3) when I do inside edges, especially as part of a crossover, I find the boot kicks in at the last moment as I lift my weight from it wasting energy. I cant work out if I am just needing to improve my muscle control or if I've just got them set up wrong in som way.

There seem so many options I don't know what to try. My thoughts are to try different wheels, and possibly softer cushions, but I don't feel I know how to make that call. I would welcome any suggestions.
Everybodyknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everybodyknows View Post
Hi.

Hi yourself

I skated on old 1980s quad boots with krypton wheels for the last fifteen years which were hand-me-downs which I felt at home in immediately... then last September they disintegrated. So I ordered new skates, not really knowing what I was doing or what to look out for.

OK that description was too vague to get any idea what you were on previously. still have the remnants around so we can see a pic??

I got variant m plates, with black Risport Antares boots, yellow rubber cushions, roll line magnum 57D wheels.

Decent set up. No junk there, although I am not real familiar with the modern Risport stuff boot wise, I have lots of love for the Roll Lines in general.

I skate at a family club once per week. My style is rhythmic and a bit elegant I think, lots of edges, long single leg glides, some speed skating, weaving in and out (sudden turns to avoid little kids!).

Roll Lines are very good for that.

I was heavily influenced as a kid in the 1970s by artistic/figure skating although I never went into it very much. I played hockey in my old boots a few times. The rink I use is a good flat, hard surface - a tiled basketball court. Don't intend to skate outdoors.

Uh, I have found that in many cases non sk8 floors do not work the best with modern sk8 wheels.

I have found the new skates hard to get used to but after six sessions I am much more confident.

Of course, even without a good idea of your old sk8s I will tell you that the new ones will NOT behave the same.

I can get speed with much less effort than on my old skates, but not the control yet.

Again without a real understanding of where you where I cannot really explain this... but I can guess. This may be the wheels, I have run across very few Kryptos that were hard like any Roll Line wheel, and they rolled slower.

I have gradually tightened the trucks to 4 and 1/4 rotations

Really?? Do the large cushions have straight sides or are they bulged out now?? I have never run more than a click tighter than no load (or in your case about 1/6 turn) and all my Roll Lines have the soft green cushions. I suspect you are way over tightened on your action. Did you adjust the pivots after you tightened up the action??

which seems about right for forward skating, but backwards feels much more uncontrolled than on my previous skates: the inside edges pull much too strongly turning me round if I'm not careful. I reckon I need to plant my weight differently.

I'm thinking you may want to rethink what you are doing here. From your description, you are trying to make your new sk8s sk8 like your old ones.. That is not going to happen in most cases.

Issues: 1) I managed to flat spot the inside front wheel - probably dragged it in a poorly executed T stop, but as I now need to replace it, it has made me question if these are the right wheels for my style

I think you have more to rethink than if you have the right wheels. BTW I have found that both Roll Line and Komplex wheels are a bit less forgiving of improper technique.

2) when pushing off during a crossover I used to be able to extend my leg further but now the wheel slips just before my maximum extension.

I can understand why.. 4 1/2 turns means your action really cannot respond properly @ that extreme end of the stroke.

3) when I do inside edges, especially as part of a crossover, I find the boot kicks in at the last moment as I lift my weight from it wasting energy. I cant work out if I am just needing to improve my muscle control or if I've just got them set up wrong in som way.

Uh in this case...yes..

There seem so many options I don't know what to try. My thoughts are to try different wheels, and possibly softer cushions, but I don't feel I know how to make that call. I would welcome any suggestions.
I'm sure you will get some other helpful advice, however, I will send you a PM. Check yer inbox.
Old February 27th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Dekindy

What exactly does one click tighter than no load mean?

I hand tighten the click action until I cannot turn it by hand, which is about 4 clicks and then tightened with tool 2 more clicks just for peace of mind that the action nut will not work loose. Action has not come loose but have no experience so trying to be cautious and have peace of mind. Plate is a Powerdyne Reactor Neo.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
What exactly does one click tighter than no load mean?

I hand tighten the click action until I cannot turn it by hand, which is about 4 clicks and then tightened with tool 2 more clicks just for peace of mind that the action nut will not work loose. Action has not come loose but have no experience so trying to be cautious and have peace of mind. Plate is a Powerdyne Reactor Neo.
That recommendation applies to Roll Line click actions. When they are assembled (in most cases) the action is already under preload when the click nut is backed off against the lock screw.

I have only seen pix of the Neo, but it looks like there is plenty of extra thread on the king pin. if you can get 4 clicks by hand then you are safe. once the click locks in the detent, it really should not back off... in my experience.
Old March 1st, 2017, 12:07 AM   #5
Dekindy

Thanks. Forgot about the set screw which the Powerdyne does not have.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote