S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old May 31st, 2017, 05:23 AM   #1
JLSmith526

Default First pair of speed skates - Need help

So I just bought my first pair of speed skates. I bought the Bont Enduro's. I used the sizing guide, and that seems to be at what is recommended. Toe is touching the end but not curled or cramped.

Problem is once I get the boot on and skate about 100 ft I'm having major arch pain. I've made sure the middle of the boot is only taut and not overly tight, but I still have this pain in the arch of my foot. Maybe there isn't enough arch support, this is an issue I've had in the past a little bit with running shoes, and I've found I can only really use Brooks running shoes.

I feel like my foot is flexing in a lot of weird ways as I skate, as I am trying to figure out the whole aspect of not having ankle support.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an arch support out there that will fit in a speed skate, or should I be trying to mold the bottom of the boot up to give more support to my arch?

I'm trying to find a local coach or someone with experience to help me, but haven't had luck yet. I'm in Denver, Colorado.
JLSmith526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:05 PM   #2
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSmith526 View Post
So I just bought my first pair of speed skates. I bought the Bont Enduro's. I used the sizing guide, and that seems to be at what is recommended. Toe is touching the end but not curled or cramped.

Problem is once I get the boot on and skate about 100 ft I'm having major arch pain. I've made sure the middle of the boot is only taut and not overly tight, but I still have this pain in the arch of my foot. Maybe there isn't enough arch support, this is an issue I've had in the past a little bit with running shoes, and I've found I can only really use Brooks running shoes.

I feel like my foot is flexing in a lot of weird ways as I skate, as I am trying to figure out the whole aspect of not having ankle support.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an arch support out there that will fit in a speed skate, or should I be trying to mold the bottom of the boot up to give more support to my arch?

I'm trying to find a local coach or someone with experience to help me, but haven't had luck yet. I'm in Denver, Colorado.
Sounds like the same thing I get from lack of arch support. If the boots are not too tight you can try using generic shoe insoles to give you some support. For boots that are a bit tighter, I found the the Luigino insoles works pretty good. You may have to build up some tape or something under the arch to make it tall enough. Put the tape on the bottom side of the insole.

https://adamsinline.com/products/luigino-insoles
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 09:21 PM   #3
kufman

Looks like Bont makes some nice ones too.

https://shop.bont.com/collections/ac...-eva-innersole
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 03:57 AM   #4
onurleft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSmith526 View Post

I had that problem and then some with Bont "Semi-Race" skate. Was fit by Bont rep Glenn Koshi too!
The Luigino "Bolt" boot has a very nice arch they call "Pro-E". Worked wonders for me. If you happen to fit a size 8, I could sell you my pair to play around with. If not I'd suggest ordering from a place with a good return policy such as inlinewarehouse dot com and carpet test them. http://www.atomskates.com/luigino-bolt-pro-125.html

As to ankle support, starting with a smaller wheel/lower frame deck height (100mm high-low frame should do, and could be found used pretty cheap these days), will help you develop the strength and technique needed to skate a low cut race boot.
The other alternative would be Bont's "new" 2 point 195 mount Semi-Race skate boot, ordered from them with the "semi-custom" option specifically asking for a high arch. I'm actually considering doing just that despite how much trouble I had with my first generation three point Semi-Race skates. Not because I don't have the strength and technique to skate a well fitted low cut race boot but because I've had a nasty case of peroneal tendonosis which I don't want to aggravate again.
https://shop.bont.com/products/new-semi-race-2pt-195mm

Fwiw, I use the Yellow capsule Superfeet which has a narrow heel cup designed to fit skates and bike shoes in my K2 Mod 125 "marathon" skates but couldn't see putting them in a speed skate boot which if fit correct shouldn't have enough room to accomadate an insole - https://www.superfeet.com/en-us/inso...FYaEswodQ0MGgQ
No idea about Bont's insole, that it's designed by them for their products it's probably worth a try.

Good luck.
onurleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 05:49 AM   #5
JLSmith526

Thanks for all of the advice!

I picked up some cheap insoles, and will give those a shot, if they help I'll look into something like the superfeet.

I also noticed when I tried the boots on with the insoles that I had about 1/4" on either side of my ankle to where the boot started, so I'm sure that was part of what was making my foot flex in weird ways that were painful. So I'm currently working on remolding the boots to fit tighter around the ankle.
JLSmith526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #6
gsloop

Arch build.
I'm not sure if this would even work - it might just end up squashing your feet. But you might be able to build a custom arch-support.

I've used instamorph [http://www.instamorph.com/instructions] to do boot-fitting work before - on alpine boots. [To build extra thick toe-caps and the like when heat molding Intuition liners etc.] Instamorph is pretty cool stuff. It becomes mold-able at 150-160F or so and is quite hard/durable at more "normal" temperatures.

You could mold an arch and use double-stick tape to adhere it to the boot/foot-bed. Once you got something useable and that you were sure you'd keep, then gluing it with something more durable would be a good idea.

If it was under the foot-bed, it would be a lot less likely to float around too.

You can buy a bag pretty cheaply on ebay, etc.

HTH
-Greg
Old June 9th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #7
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Not sure this would work, but Simmons sells a tool for making room for the center wheels. I purchased one to get some room for the center wheel of my 3x125mm EO frame on my older boots, since I have flatter arches.

It did add some arch. The URL for the tool is http://simmons-racing.com/product/si...-molding-tool/.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #8
evilzzz

I generally don't think it's as simple as "arch pain = more arch support required". Localised pain is rarely caused by problems are the site of the pain, but rather by something wrong further up or down in the kinetic chain. Different bootmakers have slightly different construction philosophies and different last (ie mold), and even if a boot superficially seems to fit size-wise then that doesn't mean that it's the right boot for you or that you won't have problems with it.

A speed skate, even a relatively supple one like the Enduro is a completely different kettle of fish to a padded rec/fitness skate. Single-piece construction and low ankle support places much more of the emphasis on you having to do the work of controlling your skates. And, because of this, your foot is never relaxed in the boot, so it's not surprising that it develops pain after just a short while.

All that said, without actually being able to see you skate to see if you are getting the basics right then all anyone can do is to speculate from their own experiences.
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:12 PM   #9
Stroopwafel

I also have a high arch and it's far to the rear. If I don't tighten the laces right I will get pain in any of my boots. For me it's works to have the laces evenly tight all the way, the same (firm, not xfirm) pressure from toe to ankle.

Next to that I have a specific insole that I use in all my boots. (But they don't fit in my Bont Jet's.) It doesn't offer arch support but it's made to stabilize; the edges are really strong and high. To my experience the extra support with remolding your boots to fit tighter around the ankle could work well.

And I make sure to have strong feet. Next to skating and cycling I walk a lot for that purpose. A tip is also to walk bare-feet at home, it really helps to strengthen your feet and keep the skin in good condition.
Stroopwafel is offline   Reply With Quote