S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old March 16th, 2018, 05:32 PM   #1
gopherfan

Default Montreal 24 2018 cancelled

From the 24 Roller Montreal website, the 24 hour relay race will not happen in 2018. They hope to return in August 2019. There isn't an explanation, but I know they always have trouble getting a workable date from the track operators.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2018, 12:58 PM   #2
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

UH!!!

What can we do to keep races going? tag along onto running? cycling?
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 01:25 AM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I received an email from them today saying that they are renovating the paddock area during the time that the event usually takes place and other venues are too expensive to use as a replacement.

I’m kinda bummed. I was thinking of getting a team together for this year.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2018, 03:25 PM   #4
kufman

Bummer
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2018, 11:16 PM   #5
shafeeqs

The renovation has been in the works for a couple of years, so it was going to happen sometime. It sounds like the track itself is going to be unaffected, so it is too bad they couldn't hold a daytime marathon or something that wouldn't require the garage & pit lane. But then maybe any shorter event would be too short to make the travel worthwhile.

Last edited by shafeeqs; March 28th, 2018 at 04:24 AM.
shafeeqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 02:30 PM   #6
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafeeqs View Post
But then maybe any shorter event would be too short to make the travel worthwhile.
Not for me. I drive longer distances for single-day indoor speed meets.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2018, 07:44 PM   #7
gopherfan

They used to hold a marathon on the track in early May. I think new track policies made it difficult to continue using the location. Weather may have also been a factor as snow was falling at the start of the last race held. It's too bad as that was one of the best marathon courses. Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto used to have three of the best inline marathons, but none remain. It is quite disheartening.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2018, 02:01 AM   #8
brebissell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyB View Post
UH!!!

What can we do to keep races going? tag along onto running? cycling?
Race organizers need skaters to sign up an sign up early and sponsors to support the event. It's the only way to keep them going. This sounds like it was just a schedule conflict so will likely return in 2019.
brebissell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 07:55 PM   #9
SkateMO

Some people may disagree, but in my opinion, the Montreal 24-Hour Race is the best outdoor event (for inline) in North America. If it actually received the attention and participation it deserves, hands down, it would be in a class of its own in terms of fun factor and experience. Not to say other events like Northshore aren't up there, but Montreal is great. I only got the chance to do it one time, but to this day, it's probably the most memorable experience of any inline event I've done. Just a shame it's not a little more accessible to the bulk of the USA skating community...not that it's too far away, but you're looking at the cost of an international flight, unless you fly to NY and rent a car. Either way, it's not a quick and easy weekend trip for most.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote