S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 6th, 2018, 06:54 PM   #1
Monkeybeaver

Default Nordic or not

Started ice skating about a year ago with my 7 year old & both got some second hand inline hockey skates thinking we could get some practise off ice on them. Didnít really get round to practicing much on the in lines for a while & when I did found then very different to ice skates & didnít really like them, felt very restricted, they seemed to just want to go in a straight line & pivoting from forwards to backwards was really odd. Bought some new wheels (the ones they had on when I got them were really worn) & decided to try a rockered set up to see if it would feel more like ice skating. Happy to say they now feel a bit closer to ice & I feel less restricted when I skate them, which so far has been mainly to help with my (now) 8 year olds off ice training for hockey.
Started trying to use skates instead of my bike when I need to make local trips, the pavement in my area is really chewed up & uneven & Iím finding the hockey inlines wheels too small to cope with them.
Started looking at the 110 & 125 triskates from Powerslide thinking that I would help, then discovered the Nordic style skates with the pneumatic tyres.
Really like the look of this style of skate, looks like it would roll over all the terrible pavement in my area & also manage on the even worse stuff once I get out of town. I also used to run, but have stopped due to an achilles injury last year, this has made me think about if running was really doing me any good, I had to have an ice bath after anything over 10 miles otherwise my knees would be stiff the next day. I like the idea of these Nordic skates taking over from running as a way to keep fit, as well as a way to get around instead of a bike.
Does anyone have any experience with both the fixed boot style of the Powerslide & the use you own shoe style of the Skike. What are the advantages of each style? Are they skate able without poles? Planning on using the poles for workout sessions but would like it to be possible to skate without if Iím using them as transportation skates. Any opinions on the braking system on the different skates & the anti reverse hubs on the Skikes?

Sorry for the long post but I canít go see & try the different options so would like to hear others opinions before I make a decision
Monkeybeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2018, 04:56 PM   #2
DarrenVS

Interesting post. I skate quads and find a lot of places too rough and have looked at some of the larger wheeled inlines. My biggest issue is arthritis in my left foot, and a lot of skates are too narrow and give me pain very quickly. My quads are Bauer ice hockey skates converted to quads. They are quite a wide fit so I can skat between 10 and 20 miles with no foot pain. It just gets boring skating the same stretch of beach front. We have 12 miles but only about 5 miles is skatable on quads.
Would love a pair of Quadline skates to see if that would help ( 100mm inline wheels on quad axles)
DarrenVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2018, 10:00 AM   #3
Monkeybeaver

After a lot of research, which involved a lot of google translate use as most of the information out there is in German, I finally decided on the Skikes. They arrived yesterday but I haven't been able to take them out properly yet as I still have a cast on my wrist (our dog got under my feet & tripped me over, in trying to avoid flattening him I landed badly & fractured it) & the grief I would get from the wife is not worth it since the cast comes off on monday.
I decided on these because the braking system is supposed to be better, its standard on both skates on the Skikes, whereas the Powerslides only come with one brake & most of the people who had used both said the Powerslide brake was harder to modulate. I also thought they would be easier to use as transportation skates as I will be wearing shoes so no need to remember to bring them, looks like I could even lock them to a bicycle rack if I wanted too, instead of having to carry them around. I did consider the possibility of buying some more conventional frames for the Powerslides (125mm Megacruiser set) to swap the boots between but decided that wouldn't be very convenient because of the brake attached to the cuff. Another reason for the Skikes was that I thought the Powerslides might feel a bit too similar to my regular skates (because of the boot) & that it would make switching back & forth more difficult.
So far I have only assembled & adjusted them and had a bit of a test in the house. First impressions are that they will definitely cope with the rough surfaces around me, they are certainly no speed machines though. One thing I have noticed already is that the calf brake cuff does not really help all that much with stability, obviously it won't let the ankle move too far but the movement that it allows still feels odd to me at the moment. I think this could be a bit of a hidden benefit though as it may help to inadvertently strengthen my ankle, which an only be a good thing for the rest of my skating.
I did order some poles too but will try them without first.
Old June 2nd, 2018, 11:19 AM   #4
DarrenVS

I think a fat 51 year old guy like me might look a bit odd skiing along the seafront on those. I get enough strange looks when on conventional skates
DarrenVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Monkeybeaver

Iím 44 & get funny looks when Iím out on my conventional skates too. Never seen anyone else in my area on any sort of skate, other than my kids.
Iím more concerned about poking people with the end of the poles
Old June 20th, 2018, 08:11 PM   #6
Monkeybeaver

After getting the Skikes a few weeks ago I had forgotten that Iíd set an alert on eBay for Powerslide Nordic. Long story short I now have a pair of new XC Trail 2 skates as well (really cheap starting bid & I was the only bidder).

So today I got the chance to skate them both for the first time & have mixed feelings about both of them.

The brakes on the Skikes are very easy to use & I got used to them fairly quickly, wont want to do anything too steep just yet but they work well, have plenty of stopping power & feel like they are easy to control. The brake on the powerslides however as not so easy to use & since thereís only 1 doesnít feel as it will stop as well. The poweslide brake is also harder to control as itís mounted on the cuff. With the Skikes being mounted higher up on the calf the longer leaver works to both provide more power but also more control over the braking force.
I felt more comfortable on the Powerslides as I felt I had more control over the ďedgesĒ. With the Skikes being strapped to your shoes with Velcro they feel like really poorly fitting skates. I had a few instances were the surface bumps tried to twist the skate over onto an outside edge, in the Powerslides this was not a problem, just a minor almost subconscious correction, but the loose fit of the Skikes meant that I was fighting to keep the skates level & my inputs had to be more exaggerated & I had to concentrate a little harder.
The Skikes also feel like a better made, sturdier product. The frame & wheels on the Powerslide look a little weak in comparison.
If I had to choose to keep only 1 after this first session then the Skikes would be going back, the Powerslides are just easier & therefore more enjoyable, to skate. I live in a very flat area so braking system is something I can live with.
Ideally I would like a boot permanently screwed to the Skikes, that would be the best of both worlds, but I think the top plate on them is plastic so Iím not sure how that would work.
Iím gong to continue to skate them both for now, if I can get rid of the slop on the Skikes they would be the favourites.
Old June 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM   #7
Monkeybeaver

Just having no a look at the possibility of mounting the powerslide boot on the Skike frame & noticed a few things that are worth mentioning

Firstly the tools that come with the Powerslides are , as is probably a expected with bundled tools, not up to the job, the supplied Allen key for the mounting bolts is pretty much useless for removing the boots. The boot that does not have a brake fitted has the hole location already marked on the cuff so another brake could be easily fitted. The frame also still has a hole in the right place to allow the mounting of the cuff brake that used to be supplied on the older Nordic skates from Powerslide.
From first impressions yesterday Iíd say a calf brake is preferable to a cuff mounted brake. The cuff brake suffers from the stiffness in the movement of the cuff (this may get looser in time, I couldnít say as these are my first pair of skates with a cuff, my in lines are hockey skates) so small adjustments are harder because the cuff does not return the brake away from the tyre as easily as the more freely moving calf brake.
In an ideal world Iíd like to get another cuff brake & a pair of Powerslide calf brakes to test (a problem that came up in my research with the old style calf brake from Powerslide was the rubber brake pad, most didnít like it & felt the metal pad in the newer skates was better) but Iíve already spent too much on this so I guess Ill never know.
Going to skate them both for a bit & dig my tools out to investigate the possibility of bolting the Powerslide boots to the Skike frame
Old June 21st, 2018, 10:41 AM   #8
Monkeybeaver

Well the boots wonít fit because the cuff is too high & interferes with the calf brake. The plate on the Skike frame is plastic but is well reinforced with square ribs which in turn all have cross ribs. The boots mounting holes will fit in the areas between the cross ribs, so I think with a large square washer to spread the load over the square it would be possible to mount a boot.Skike also do an extension kit for the calf brake, pretty sure that would allow the boot to fit properly, but again more money to spend.

Tags
cross skate, nordic, skike