S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old March 10th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #1
airforceones25

Default The ridiculous new guy questions

Looking to enter the world of speed skating (marathon & beyond).

A little about myself. Turned 30 last week ha
I grew up playing inline hockey for 8 years and crossed over into ice for a few before I called it quits. Now my days are spent running ultramarathons and a recent injury led me back to an old pair of inline hockey skates I found in the closet the other day. Long story short, instead of back to back long runs (20+ miles) I'd like to supplement the second with a skate to help build hip strength as well as give the legs a break from all the pounding.

Second day back on the skates (hockey) after a 15+ year hiatus I did a marathon and it felt great. I literally forgot how much fun it is to skate. The distance was effortless however I felt like I was skating on quicksand. 80/72mm HiLo with a 76a durometer. Not exactly ideal setup for the pavement. Lol

Which brings me to the new guy questions. Is it ridiculous for me to think I can hop on a 4x110 setup or 3x125 setup without any experience besides a hockey setup? I really want to be able to enjoy the speed and cover lots of ground quickly. I have an awesome bike trail local to me that spans 60 miles out/back that I'd really like to take advantage of.

Right now my goal is to supplement my running/racing with skating long distance. Possibly venture in the racing world of speed skating in the future. If you guys have any reccomendations for a solid setup or any advice I'd love to hear it. Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks, Jeff
airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #2
matguy

Not ridiculous at all. Especially if you started with some of the taller boots, like the PowerSlide Marathon series or the Seba Marathon. One of the biggest things for new skaters to get past is the low cut boots, and if you're not looking to seriously compete, might as well stay comfortable.
Old March 10th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Which brings me to the new guy questions. Is it ridiculous for me to think I can hop on a 4x110 setup or 3x125 setup without any experience besides a hockey setup? I really want to be able to enjoy the speed and cover lots of ground quickly. I have an awesome bike trail local to me that spans 60 miles out/back that I'd really like to take advantage of.
If you have good stability and ankle strength already, why not?

However, things to consider are this, if you're planning to skate outdoors, start in a safe environment like a parking lot without cars or hills. This will get you adjusted to the skates and the speeds that they can attain. There aren't too many aftermarket brakes for 110mm wheels, let alone 125mm wheels, so stopping is always an issue. PRACTICE IT! You never know when skating your local bike path or bare streets if something will unexpectedly cross your path. (ask me how I know)

Good luck with getting going.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 02:12 PM   #4
GlennGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Looking to enter the world of speed skating (marathon & beyond).

A little about myself. Turned 30 last week ha
I grew up playing inline hockey for 8 years and crossed over into ice for a few before I called it quits. Now my days are spent running ultramarathons and a recent injury led me back to an old pair of inline hockey skates I found in the closet the other day. Long story short, instead of back to back long runs (20+ miles) I'd like to supplement the second with a skate to help build hip strength as well as give the legs a break from all the pounding.

Second day back on the skates (hockey) after a 15+ year hiatus I did a marathon and it felt great. I literally forgot how much fun it is to skate. The distance was effortless however I felt like I was skating on quicksand. 80/72mm HiLo with a 76a durometer. Not exactly ideal setup for the pavement. Lol

Right now my goal is to supplement my running/racing with skating long distance. Possibly venture in the racing world of speed skating in the future. If you guys have any reccomendations for a solid setup or any advice I'd love to hear it. Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks, Jeff

Geez Jeff, you sound like me. I went from Ultras, marathons, halfies back to skating ( quads ) recently. Take it from a guy who has 20 years on you, your hips and knees will thank you. Years of running has that effect ( pounding is not good, particularly when you're older). Your running will help endurance wise, but remember that runners use or rely on a different set of muscles and more importantly, style . Take some speed classes at a rink and you'll see what I mean. The speeds are entirely different too (30+) versus 10-12 mph on your feet. Don't skimp on equipment.....never.
GlennGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #5
WJCIV

I don't think you would have much of a problem given the type of skating you intend to do - as long as the equipment is set up correctly. Frame placement is going to affect how well your ankles and knees can handle the stresses of a high deck height.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #6
uelsk8s

There are two places in SoCal that have 9:00 AM Saturday morning group skates. one is in El Dorado park and the other is Skypark circle. I would suggest going to the closest and meeting the locals.
uelsk8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:42 AM   #7
airforceones25

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! Glad to hear it's not a stretch. I guess it's time to go shopping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uelsk8s View Post
There are two places in SoCal that have 9:00 AM Saturday morning group skates. one is in El Dorado park and the other is Skypark circle. I would suggest going to the closest and meeting the locals.
Thanks, I will definitely look into it!
airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote