S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old February 7th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #1
BG's Dad

Default Where have all the little wheels gone?

My son's 84mm wheels are bout worn out, so I started looking for indoor race replacements. Seems the supply has essentially dried up. I was going to upgrade to a 4X90, but checked to see what supply of 90's were available and found a similar situation. I guess it will be a 3X100, it seems that is the smallest wheel with availability. I see a lot of the juveniles on them, yet I read that many coaches think 100 is too tall for the kids. I guess the manufacturers decided otherwise. Then again, if it doesn't sell, they aren't going to make it.
BG's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #2
kufman

Yes, the supply of little wheels is pretty much gone. You might be able to find some at Inline Warehouse but that might be about it.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/fitwh...ref_hard=&cat=

For indoor racing, this might be about the only wheel that might work.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/MPC_B...page-BMAG.html
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #3
matguy

Connie's skate place has 84mm Hyper Super Grip Blue's. They're a grippy indoor wheel. I ran on a set for a while; took quite a beating before they started to grind away.

http://www.conniesskateplace.com/SGB...eels-p/sgb.htm

Connie also has older Agent Orange and Green Machine's in 90mm. Both are fairly soft, but still indoor race wheel that work OK.

http://www.conniesskateplace.com/90m...els-s/4132.htm

You can get Atom One's in 84mm. They're not the best race wheel and even though they're an outdoor wheel they're often fine for kids depending on their weight. If they're light they won't squish down the urethane nor deform the hubs. I've used them outdoor plenty of times and they've been fine for a bit higher than fitness skating, even at my 220lbs. They're cheap enough to try if you want to keep him on 84's.

In 90mm you can get the Atom Spyder Traction wheels. While the 90mm version isn't banded, it's still a good wheel and probably great for a kid.

http://www.atomwheels.com/

I couldn't link directly to the wheels very well, but click on "shop" at the top right and you can order straight from them.

Bont still has some of the old 84mm Invasion wheels in their closeout section. They're an outdoor wheel, but, again, they can work decently for smaller kids.

http://shop.bont.com/collections/closeout/products/937
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #4
BG's Dad

Thanks for the help. He has been on Hyper Hyoctane, and has SGB for rinks that have grip problems. He is currently running a pair of SGB on each skate to get some grip from the fading Hyoctanes. You help make the point. A kid that wants to become a competitive speedskater might just as well start on 100's. Stay away from the 84/90 frames, there will not be any wheels available. The advice I read online about starting a kid on 84's is no longer valid because there is no competitive wheel product available. It seems odd because my understanding is that some organizations worldwide have not allowed 'minors' to compete on 100+.
So, now to hunt down a new frame. He is 8, still a size 2/34, so I'm looking for a sub 12" frame 165 mount that will handle 100+ wheels. The Takino GTR300JR looks nice, I saw a FB post that XTech has a frame that will handle 125 and come in at 12, but i can't find anybody selling it. Flyke has one, but pretty pricey.
I realize it is difficult to give advice for a sub 50 pound skater, the dynamics are far different than an adult.
BG's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

!0% off at Connie's, she likes skatelog

RDD at checkout. Or look around the site, links to coupons also.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #6
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG's Dad View Post
Thanks for the help. He has been on Hyper Hyoctane, and has SGB for rinks that have grip problems. He is currently running a pair of SGB on each skate to get some grip from the fading Hyoctanes. You help make the point. A kid that wants to become a competitive speedskater might just as well start on 100's. Stay away from the 84/90 frames, there will not be any wheels available. The advice I read online about starting a kid on 84's is no longer valid because there is no competitive wheel product available. It seems odd because my understanding is that some organizations worldwide have not allowed 'minors' to compete on 100+.
So, now to hunt down a new frame. He is 8, still a size 2/34, so I'm looking for a sub 12" frame 165 mount that will handle 100+ wheels. The Takino GTR300JR looks nice, I saw a FB post that XTech has a frame that will handle 125 and come in at 12, but i can't find anybody selling it. Flyke has one, but pretty pricey.
I realize it is difficult to give advice for a sub 50 pound skater, the dynamics are far different than an adult.
A 3x100 is your best bet if you want something shorter than 12". The minimum length for a 4x100 is 11.8" and only Bont made one and it was for their 3-point boots. The Cado Neo Transformer can do this along with 4 wheel setups for smaller wheels.

http://www.cadomotus.com/wo/inline-s...er-2-in-1.html

Be careful if you go for a 90mm wheel setup. Most 90mm wheels are built using either the hubs for 84mm or 80mm wheels and thus they are very heavy and tend to be slow as well. I THINK MPC is finally making a real 90mm hub but I am not sure. I don't think Atom does and Matter didn't in the past either.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, wheels