S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 16th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #1
08palmerc

Default What size Roll-Line Plate?

Hello,
I have a men's size 10.5 wide Riedell 336 boot. For a traditional mount, what size Mistral would I need? How about an Energy since they come in half sizes?

Thanks!
08palmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:40 PM   #2
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08palmerc View Post
Hello,
I have a men's size 10.5 wide Riedell 336 boot. For a traditional mount, what size Mistral would I need? How about an Energy since they come in half sizes?

Thanks!
You might need to contact the Roll Line rep, or the place in which is going to mount your plates to your boots, as they may have a few questions for you.

Things like:
Length of your boot(s)
How much you weigh
Your skating style, what are you intending to use your skates for

Even the same size boot can be different lengths.

just my $0.02
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:16 PM   #3
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks!
You need to measure the distance from about the middle of your heel to the ball of your foot. Then you will know the distance you have between the center of the two axles. Next, go to the chart in the link to determine the size Mistral you will need to order. BTW, I've been riding the Mistral on a 336 for many years and I love it. The only problem I had was determining the best cushion set up for my needs. The Mistral came with clear, but I wound up with the clear green, set as loose as possible.
http://www.skatesus.com/documents/Ro...-f-2-85X11.pdf
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #4
mass_quads
Addicted

I'm also in a 10.5W 336. I went with the Roll Line size chart recommendation which was 190 standard and 180 sport mount. I think for a 10.5 the standard is 185 but the Variant doesn't come in half sizes so I went with a 180 (I am gravitating towards freestyle). I haven't gotten them mounted yet because I'm still waiting on the plate.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #5
08palmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
You need to measure the distance from about the middle of your heel to the ball of your foot. Then you will know the distance you have between the center of the two axles. Next, go to the chart in the link to determine the size Mistral you will need to order. BTW, I've been riding the Mistral on a 336 for many years and I love it. The only problem I had was determining the best cushion set up for my needs. The Mistral came with clear, but I wound up with the clear green, set as loose as possible.
Thanks for your help sk84luv....The measurement of my actual foot from mid heel to ball of foot was like 160 cm. But when I measure it on my boot it's about a 185... even more confused.
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:16 AM   #6
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Thanks for your help sk84luv....The measurement of my actual foot from mid heel to ball of foot was like 160 cm. But when I measure it on my boot it's about a 185... even more confused.
I recommend you call http://skatesus.com/ice/roller/ and ask to talk to their expert. I believe Dave is the person you need to consult with. I can see how the chart is not helpful as I thought it would be. Getting back to your comment on the Energy plate, yes, by all means, if the half size option will be the most correct for you, the extra investment now will pay off for the a life time. The plates/cushions don't wear out.

I have a 170mm Mistral mounted to my 336 size 8 1/2. I feel it could be a half size shorter and mounted just a bit forward of the ball of the foot.

While we are on the subject, I digress to discuss the heel height on the 336. For me, due to my anatomy, I feel as if I could skate better if the heel were at least 1/4" shorter. The way it is now I feel like I'm tilted forward.

Last edited by sk84luv; February 17th, 2016 at 03:44 PM.
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:41 AM   #7
mass_quads
Addicted

One thing worth noting is Roll Line offers a trade in program for their plates. The feedback I've gotten from some pretty damn good freestyle skaters suggests that I adhere to the Roll-Line size chart which can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.skatesus.com/learning_cen...oot_Sizing.php

Ordering the entry level Variant plate made sense to me because I might not be happy with the model and/or size until I've skated them a lot. So, knowing I can trade them in is a pretty good thing.

This is why I decided to start with the 'standard size' Variant plate. I want to start from square one. As I understand it, Roll-Line plates can be upgraded so as long as I don't need a directional toe stop and the length is correct I'm good.

Also, I have heard that too short is a bad thing with an art boot because you can significantly damage the heel if the rear screws are too close to the edge which can split the heel.
mass_quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #8
rwsz

my son had a 185 on a riedell 10.5 boot when he skated wc mens singles. depending on the type of skating u do, u could a size smaller or larger. i suggest u also call David at rolline.
Old February 17th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #9
08palmerc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
my son had a 185 on a riedell 10.5 boot when he skated wc mens singles. depending on the type of skating u do, u could a size smaller or larger. i suggest u also call David at rolline.
I gave US skates a call and asked for Dave, someone named Josh answered and said that Dave gives him all the mounting to do....hmmmm but anyways he said that they don't make Roll-Line's in a 185... apparently half sizes stop somewhere in the 170 range.

Josh told me that with the measurement I gave him (from heel to toe on my boot, which measured 11.5") I would be a 190.

I told him I weighted 185 lbs and am using it for fresstle and dance.
Old February 17th, 2016, 09:13 PM   #10
Sir Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
clear green? You went from medium/hard cushions to the lowest level cushions (I know because my 6 year old skates on these cushions)? Can I ask your general size? I only ask because I'm 6'4" about 205 at my leanest (an that's pretty lean) and run clear cushions on all my skates (Energy and Giotto). I've thought about going down to say Blue clear (which is next down) but that is the same cushion that all of our girls including my wife use.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 01:26 AM   #11
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
clear green? You went from medium/hard cushions to the lowest level cushions (I know because my 6 year old skates on these cushions)? Can I ask your general size? I only ask because I'm 6'4" about 205 at my leanest (an that's pretty lean) and run clear cushions on all my skates (Energy and Giotto). I've thought about going down to say Blue clear (which is next down) but that is the same cushion that all of our girls including my wife use.
Aaron, I am a mere 5'8" 145 lbs. At my weight, I was not able to apply enough pressure on edges to suit my style of skating. I must correct myself here; I have clear blue barrels and clear green cone cushions.

I know DocSk8, who may be in your size range, uses clear green with a flat washer instead of a cushion retainer on the truck.
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:39 AM   #12
rwsz

i thought they made 1/2 sizes in the more expensive plates, i guess not anymore, they should know,,,,good luck.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #13
Sir Aaron

Quote:
I gave US skates a call and asked for Dave, someone named Josh answered and said that Dave gives him all the mounting to do....hmmmm but anyways he said that they don't make Roll-Line's in a 185... apparently half sizes stop somewhere in the 170 range.

Josh told me that with the measurement I gave him (from heel to toe on my boot, which measured 11.5") I would be a 190.

I told him I weighted 185 lbs and am using it for fresstle and dance.
I've met everyone at SKATESUS. I don't really have a favorable opinion of Dave but I've had the least interaction with him. If you want to know about which size and/or other mounting questions, Josh is the guy you need to talk to. He's mounted all my skates. If you have questions about performance, you might want to talk to Elizabeth. That is who I talk to.

Personal recommendation: if you are going to use the same skate for dance and freestyle then I'd go with the Energy. I'd start with medium blue cushions and maybe a set of clear cushions (you get an extra set).
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote