S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old April 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
70's skater

Default Golden Age Division

I heard that they will be adding a new "Golden Age" division for folks over 65.
While I think it is good to add another adult layer taking into consideration the aging US population and our aging but still rolling membership, this isn't helping to promote the younger skaters. And let's face it, sooner or later we are all going to die or at least stop skating.
thoughts?
70's skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #2
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Default Three little words.....

Money......money........money.
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #3
masterd

Default Skating division

It is all about the money. If they were concern about youth they would have done something long ago.

At the conference last year one of Jane's duties or responsibilities were to travel around the country visiting rinks to promote all aspects of skating. Does anyone know if any of this has happen.
masterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #4
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

I am in the thought of a wonderful routine by a gentlemen that is a great man, and does much for the world of skating...there's age in your face

ZZZZZZ
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #5
70's skater

Sorry, my line of the day, but I'm confused.
Is this a random thought? Or do I really need a facelift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
I am in the thought of a wonderful routine by a gentlemen that is a great man, and does much for the world of skating...there's age in your face

ZZZZZZ
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Gailforce

Default More thoughts on Senior Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's skater View Post
While I think it is good to add another adult layer taking into consideration the aging US population and our aging but still rolling membership, this isn't helping to promote the younger skaters. And let's face it, sooner or later we are all going to die or at least stop skating.
thoughts?

I think I will beat my head against a wall if one more division is added! Please don't let them have one called "Golden Age". That said, I still have in my head to organize a movement to have roller skating added as a Senior Olympics event. I have a few ideas about how I want to get started but I just haven't had time to put things into motion yet.

Does anyone think the powers that be in our sport would be against this? Would those of you on here be willing to help me do this?

Gail
Gailforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #7
70's skater

I'm not sure if it is a done deal, but it was announced at the Northeast Regional Awards Banquet.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #8
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Hey........I can do a great heel spin....on the back two wheels of my wheelchair. Does that count?
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #9
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's skater View Post
thoughts?
Anything to encourage skating is a good thing, it's time they had their own adult age group to skat with otherwise they are forece to skate with teens or JO.don't think this will generate more money as those that skate will skate regardless.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailforce View Post
I think I will beat my head against a wall if one more division is added! Please don't let them have one called "Golden Age". That said, I still have in my head to organize a movement to have roller skating added as a Senior Olympics event. I have a few ideas about how I want to get started but I just haven't had time to put things into motion yet.

Does anyone think the powers that be in our sport would be against this? Would those of you on here be willing to help me do this?

Gail
wee if it skated at nationals this year that would be a great oppurtunity to market your ideas. I know a few adults that would like to see more age groups, they skate with skaters 30 years younger. this won't hurt, and could help.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #11
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Default "Golden Age"

It is now official. Starting in 2010 we now have a "Golden Age" division for 65and older. Solo and team dance. Now all I need is a partner!
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #12
masterd

Default Golden Age Division

Sailor,

We will start looking for you.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #13
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

its a random thought...I love the idea of this~

My friend before he passed away sent said some words with regards to those of the "older" generation, and having this section is a plus, pity the style of competition he had thought up isn't around. Far better an event than the one that is being done, but with my futuresk8ter it is not too much in my means for attendance
sorry, yes a facelift is necessary...hope I cleared the air waves.

the gentlemen that skated a beautiful routine made such an impression and I think he is 70? not too sure
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #14
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

I don’t know why they didn’t include freestyle in “Golden Age”. I was just getting my triple loop down pat.
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #15
masterd

Default Golden Age

Sailor,

I'm working with an 8 year old boy from Columbia MO, Empire Roller Rink (100 miles from us) on freestyle. It feels good to put toe stops in and do some jumps and few up right spins.

Got to luv it..
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #16
Jim White

Quote:
I still have in my head to organize a movement to have roller skating added as a Senior Olympics event. I have a few ideas about how I want to get started but I just haven't had time to put things into motion yet. Does anyone think the powers that be in our sport would be against this? Would those of you on here be willing to help me do this?
Please be more specific. What are Senior Olympics? Do they have a web site, or an office that can be contacted for more information? (I know there are various state/local organizations, which I'm not interested in, but is there something for all USA, or worldwide?)
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #17
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterd View Post
Sailor,

I'm working with an 8 year old boy from Columbia MO, Empire Roller Rink (100 miles from us) on freestyle. It feels good to put toe stops in and do some jumps and few up right spins.

Got to luv it..
Mastered,

Good luck with your new student. I was just joshing about freestyle. Only skated dance and figures in my day. Would love to strap the skates on again. Still have two years to go before “Golden Age” so there is still hope.
Old April 20th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #18
masterd

Default golden age

Sailor,

I was out of the sport for 15 years when a coach I know called and wanted to know if I would be interested in skating again and that she has a skater looking for a partner. I was a little reluctant but agreed to talk with her. Four wonderful years later we are having as much fun today as we did when we started.

Neither of our spouses are skaters but they support us very much. In fact my wife is in our beginner class and is looking for a pair of skates so she wants to try to learn figures. Esquire B is what she will skate.

For me it was always dance and freestyle, figures was something I had no choice and just did them. This year we will skate team dance, solo dance and I will skate figures.

I just glad I came back.
Old April 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #19
Dennis Lauer

Quote:

Gail
Does the senior olympics require participants or sports to have a sanctioning body? If not the only problem I see is a possible vindictive current governing body kicking us out for participatng in the senior olympics. If they require a sanctioning body and our current sanctioning body is against participation in the senior olympics then we need to decide if we would rather participate in current events sponsored by the current sanctioning body. If the answer is we don't want to participate in currently sanctioned events then maybe we should look into forming our own sanctioning body. If we feel the current sanctioning body is doing us no good then we need to pull out of it.

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #20
Gailforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
Please be more specific. What are Senior Olympics? Do they have a web site, or an office that can be contacted for more information? (I know there are various state/local organizations, which I'm not interested in, but is there something for all USA, or worldwide?)
Jim, here is the link to my original discussion about Senior Olympics:

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16656

The national website is: http://www.nsga.com/DesktopDefault.aspx

Many states also have websites and schedules for the state competitions. I'm still reading and trying to learn a bit about this. I think I need to go to a competition and talk to someone in person. The national games are rotated to different venues around the country. 2009 is in San Francisco, 2011 in Houston and 2013 in Cleveland.

Gail
Gailforce is offline   Reply With Quote