S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old April 20th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #21
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Division

I looked through the minutes and decisions of the USARS Board and I didn't see the Golden Age division. Any idea where the official details are?

In any case, I think it is another example of creating another division that adds more confusion. Being close to that age it would be great to compete with peers, but I don't expect many competitors and with the USARS current policy of having all categories at Nationals I think it might get dropped.

I feel strongly that there needs to be a restructuring primarily along skill levels,with clear progressive levels, and then divide by ages, so if an age level doesn't have a lot of participation then age levels can be combined within a skill level within reason to create an event.

I find the skill/age level within USARS confusing and with gaps that require filling in with additional events to give everyone a chance to compete. There are frequent changes to patch some hole or another. The RSA progressive skill structure is a clear example that could be competed at with age subdivisions.

Joe Kaplenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's skater View Post
I heard that they will be adding a new "Golden Age" division for folks over 65.
While I think it is good to add another adult layer taking into consideration the aging US population and our aging but still rolling membership, this isn't helping to promote the younger skaters. And let's face it, sooner or later we are all going to die or at least stop skating.
thoughts?
Old April 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #22
Gailforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
Does the senior olympics require participants or sports to have a sanctioning body? If not the only problem I see is a possible vindictive current governing body kicking us out for participatng in the senior olympics. If they require a sanctioning body and our current sanctioning body is against participation in the senior olympics then we need to decide if we would rather participate in current events sponsored by the current sanctioning body. If the answer is we don't want to participate in currently sanctioned events then maybe we should look into forming our own sanctioning body. If we feel the current sanctioning body is doing us no good then we need to pull out of it.

Dennis Lauer
Hello Dennis. I had previously started a discussion about this. Here are a few things from the Senior Olympics rule book:

O. NATIONAL GOVERNING BODY RULES
All sports/events shall be governed by the rules of the national governing body (NGB) for that
sport. The NSGA has modified some of these rules in the best interest of the participants. All
rules shall apply as stated in the NGB and NSGA rulebooks. NGB rulebooks in effect on Jan.
1, 2008, shall govern the 2009 Summer National Senior Games, unless otherwise noted.
In case of conflict between NGB and NSGA rules, NSGA rules shall govern.

HOW TO SUGGEST THAT A NEW SPORT BE ADDED TO THE NATIONAL SENIOR
GAMES
You may contact the NSGA Director of National Games if you would like to suggest that a
new sport and/or event be added to the menu. You must include the following information:
1. An exact description of the sport/event.
2. The address, phone number and contact person for the national governing body for the
sport/event.
3. The number of people ages 50 and older who participate in this activity.
4. The geographic distribution of people ages 50 and older that participate.
5. Anything else you think is important.
New sports and events are approved by the NSGA National Games Committee and Board of Directors.

Here is the link to the current rules: https://www.nsga.hangastar.com/secur...09%20Rules.pdf
Gailforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #23
Jim White

Thanks for the information, Gail, and others. (FWIW, I'm a speedskater, not art/figure, but am well qualified by age for this topic.)

My related experience has been with State Games, rather than Senior Games. Seems to me that State Games is a similar organization, but with broader demographics. Several states do have state inline races (I don't know about art competition, never paid attention to that.) We've tried to get a national inline race via the state games, but not enough states have it, so national looks unlikely.

I suggest anyone interested in adding an event such as discussed above would best start with their local state. Generally, that would be much easier than national. Some of the state games are open to residents of other states, so you could actually host a national competition, although it wouldn't have that name. I suggest working with the all-ages state games to be able to draw greater numbers, because that's a challenge. But if the senior games is an easier organization to work with in your state, do that.

http://www.thesportscorp.org/html/sp...009/index.html
http://www.weplay.com/groups/507-Nat...e-Games/public
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #24
Jim White

Regarding NGB issues and Senior Olympics and/or any State Games, I suggest to mostly ignore USARS. At least for speed, they seem to be very tolerant of contests outside their scope of interest, so there are many contests which are mutually ignored by Lincoln and the contest. I don't think Senior Olympics requires NGB support, but only that NGB rules be followed, unless exceptions are approved by Senior Olympics.

Lincoln is unlikely to do much to get something into Senior Olympics; its outside their scope. Of course, it a Board Member adopts this as a pet project...

Unrealistic, IMO, to start a different NGB. There can be only one; it must be approved by both USOC and FIRS. Currently their priority is getting skating into Olympics, so they don't want to muddy the waters. Further, the consensus seems to be that USARS is fulfilling their primary mission fairly well.

So, go ahead with whatever we can do, and occasionally share ideas with Lincoln.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #25
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaplenk View Post
I looked through the minutes and decisions of the USARS Board and I didn't see the Golden Age division. Any idea where the official details are?

Joe Kaplenk
Joe,

Here is the link to the minutes and summary.

http://ping.fm/ixs9s
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #26
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Post Found it

Thanks.

Found it. Only two references in each doc. it is nice they are trying but I'm surprised since the big push at the Coaches Conference was to reduce the number of events. They even showed a spreadsheet of events that have limited participation that are candidates for removal. I guess we'll see.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
Joe,

Here is the link to the minutes and summary.

http://ping.fm/ixs9s
Old May 9th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #27
Dennis Lauer

Does having more or fewer divisions to skate really mean anything in and of themselves? I keep hearing that artistic skating is dying out, this does disturb me.

Not so many months ago Jane W. accepted a new position with the National Office? I thought this position was to be contacting rinks to promote artistic skating in an effort to help form more artistic skating clubs. By doing this the thought was they may be able to make artistic skating stronger. Has promotion of this type been done yet? More divisions like the 65 years and older Golden Age Division may be good but should be coupled with a push to get more rinks involved in artistic skating. I am afraid that more skating divisions by themselves may not be the answer to declining numbers of clubs and artistic skaters.

Dennis Lauer
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #28
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Dennis,

Jane's been very busy this year. She been very tied up in getting all of the tests updated, and rules clarified and revised (so every thing is the same...) since she started as Director at the beginning of the year.

I know there are plans for her to road-trip to promote the sport, but the timetable has been sketchy because a ton (literally) of materials had to be brought up to date before they were presented to the rinks.

If you want to know something she can shed light on-- don't be afraid to email her. She's good about getting back to people-- normally if she isn't traveling, within a few days.
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #29
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Oh you'll be???

Oh you'll be skating the ultra Senior Golden Age freestyle event.

I think the Waltz Jump I'm working up will relagate me to the Juvinile Division of the Golden Age classification, if not the two footed spins will...

Heck I thought I was carzy when I was in my Forties and trying to find a partner to skate Classic dance with..

Golden Age is a nice name for something that will not be very Golden in person!!

Quote:
I don’t know why they didn’t include freestyle in “Golden Age”. I was just getting my triple loop down pat.
Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #30
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
Oh you'll be skating the ultra Senior Golden Age freestyle event.

I think the Waltz Jump I'm working up will relagate me to the Juvinile Division of the Golden Age classification, if not the two footed spins will...

Heck I thought I was carzy when I was in my Forties and trying to find a partner to skate Classic dance with..

Golden Age is a nice name for something that will not be very Golden in person!!

Ray,

I'll be lucky to be able to lace my skates up.

Do we get bathroom breaks??
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #31
roller gramma
Solo Dancer

So is this division going to be like this year, with 'A' skaters skating any 'B' event they want? Why bother having a beginner division if you let anyone who has the entry fee skate it?

rant over...carry on.
roller gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #32
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Talking That's funny!!

Quote:
Ray,

I'll be lucky to be able to lace my skates up.

Do we get bathroom breaks??

I ended up Figure Stewarding at the Invotational at Roller Kingdom in Hudson, Mass. a couple of weeks ago.. And I can tell you one thing, I was glad that the events were not as populated as they were back in the 80's...I'd have never made it thru a 50 some odd girls figure event no days, Pottie breaks would definately be required :-D

I managed to pop a ham string Tuesday at Hudson, skating. I strained it last week helping my wife move a few hurdred pounds of clay in her classroom!! Dumb Idea, in retrospect... Last Friday I did a three turn and the Ham String, said "Don't do that again" Tuesday it felt normal until it went pop on the third three turn, and I hit the floor!!! I will say I haven't forgotten how to fall :-) and the floor seemed much softer then I remember it!!!

I'm doing the 3,000 units of vitamin E and a few pain pills and Ice routine right now.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #33
Sailor
60's Rhode Island Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I'm doing the 3,000 units of vitamin E and a few pain pills and Ice routine right now.
Ray,

If you have a problem with your ham string, why are you doing Ice routine's? Blades are no better for you.

When are you in Hudson? It.s only an hour from my house. Would love to meet you in person.

Chuck
Old June 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #34
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default Ice Routine, as in???

The Ice Routine as in Ice Cubes to the back of the leg!!!

There will not be a session at Hudson next Tuesday, hopefully I will be feeling better the following week???

It's really cramping my style and movement right now, and we have a wedding to attend this weekend, and my wife wants to dance, well so do I???

Quote:
Ray,

If you have a problem with your ham string, why are you doing Ice routine's? Blades are no better for you.

When are you in Hudson? It.s only an hour from my house. Would love to meet you in person.

Chuck
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #35
AlanVanek

Smile Will be interesting

Quote:
It is now official. Starting in 2010 we now have a "Golden Age" division for 65and older. Solo and team dance. Now all I need is a partner!
This might allow me to get back in if I want to drive 3+ hours to the nearest competitive club. Unfortunately Las Vegas has NOTHING at this time, but I can remember driving from East Glendale(CA) to Roller Gardens in Oxnard, CA at least 2-3 times a week for lessons & practise. Yeh, but then I was a LOT younger, too. Also, a lot of the "over 65" are the skaters from the '60s & '70s when artistic roller was a lot bigger than it was in the '80s & '90s.
AlanVanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #36
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanVanek View Post
Also, a lot of the "over 65" are the skaters from the '60s & '70s when artistic roller was a lot bigger than it was in the '80s & '90s.

http://www.thestarpress.com/article/...TYLE/909280303
rhetttro is offline   Reply With Quote