S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Hockey and Other Roller Games
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hockey and Other Roller Games Discussions about hockey played on inline skates, quad roller skates, and ice skates. Also includes discussions about other games played on skates such as roller basketball and rollersoccer.

Old January 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
MikeyB99

Default Having Trouble with Grip on Wheels

Hello, Im a 26 year old Roller Hockey player, I play in a very competitive league with players who play in the PIHA (Professional Inline Hockey Association). Anyhow, I've been playing for about 15 years, I used to play outdoor, and then I played in a gym league. Im one of the best skaters in my leagues, but the problem im having now is that im in a league that plays on official rinks called sport courts. These rink are made very slick so the puck can glide and move better. I seem to be having a hell of a time trying to stop, start, accellerate, turn, twist, basically any sort of agility.... I have none. In the old places I used to be able to skate very fast, then throw on the breaks and go the other way. Can not do this anymore at this place. I know about the duromoeter of the wheels. I've been through it all, I've bought the softest indoor wheels I can find 72a. aka xtra soft. Still I just slip everytime I try to make any quick or sudden changes while im skating. This is a huge problem for me since 99% of my game relies on my abilities to skate and be agile. I dont know what else to do. It seems some other players dont seem to have nearly as much trouble as I do with this, and Im a way better skater then they are. Any help with this would be awesome. Thanks
MikeyB99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #2
irishboy

the same thing happened to me two years ago when my local league switched to sport court. on the wheels i used to use me feet slide out from under me whenever i tried to do anything but skate forward. when i tried out the softest wheels i could find i shred them in two periods.

eventually, youll get used to it tho. without thinking it, youll start to adjust the way you turn and stop so you wont fall.

i found that it helped to keep my feet spread a little farther than usually when i stop, and with turning and cross overs, you just need to practice. when you warm up before the game, work on your skating at 3/4 speed and focus completely on control and agility.

its gonna take a little while to get used to sport court. it almost took me an entire 18 game season. good luckkkk
irishboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:48 AM   #3
inlina
ABEC42

It's just going to take time for you to adjust your technique.

Because you've been on grippier surfaces before, you've been stopping etc. with your skate leaned over a long way to get onto the fatter part of your wheels. You are now going to need to sit up more on your wheels, closer to the pointier bit. This area has more bite for your stop. To do this, you can use the same body position you would normally use to stop, and flex your ankle up more. You may need to work on the strenght of your ankles to do this.

Ultimately, the key will be to practice as much as your can. Do you now train on sport court? Also, have you tried Rink Rat wheels, they are great!

CG
inlina is offline   Reply With Quote