S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Ballistic Billiards
Bony Hawk

Default Is this a good way to start?

I just found these and thought that they'd be a
good way to find out if I want to persue a better setup.
I'm concerned that going with a 4 wheel setup will not be
true to an artistic set and also in the performance of the boot.
What say ye?
I'm quad skating now, fairly well, and have had inlines in the past.
I should add that I can pass these on to my wife, who will hopefully continue
to learn to skate.
If I do upgrade to a better artistic setup, this will be a decent
recreational setup for me or for her?
Ballistic Billiards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Ancient1

Hi Ballistic Biliards,
A good person to ask would be FireFly. She does inline artistic skating. She frequents the Artistic Forum, just above this Inline Forum. Best of luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic Billiards View Post
I just found these and thought that they'd be a
good way to find out if I want to persue a better setup.
I'm concerned that going with a 4 wheel setup will not be
true to an artistic set and also in the performance of the boot.
What say ye?
I'm quad skating now, fairly well, and have had inlines in the past.
I should add that I can pass these on to my wife, who will hopefully continue
to learn to skate.
If I do upgrade to a better artistic setup, this will be a decent
recreational setup for me or for her?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:47 PM   #3
Ballistic Billiards
Bony Hawk

Thanks, I sent a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Hi Ballistic Biliards,
A good person to ask would be FireFly. She does inline artistic skating. She frequents the Artistic Forum, just above this Inline Forum. Best of luck.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Ancient1

You're very welcome.

I think you will really enjoy entering inline artistic skating, if that is your intention. If it isn't your intention then I am sure you will still be happy. Please note that an artistic setup is far different than a regular inline and not near as fast, but it does give much greater control.

From my point of view, this is what I like and dislike from that setup. It looks like you have a rocker or pivot point on the second wheel from the front, which I think is good for manuevers. I am not fond of the the hard boot. But that is from a person who only did a little on inlines and my experience on inlines is very very limited. So take that for what it is worth.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Ballistic Billiards
Bony Hawk

Default the wheels

I'm not real fond of how far out the back wheel is.
The boot is easy enough to replace.
I'm looking at this setup basically to do some art and slalom stuff.
It may be completely wrong for slalom, I have no idea.
Thanks for the input Ancient.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #6
Arthur Lee

Default Youtube video clip

Hi,

My name is Arthur Lee and I'm the designer of this skate !

There is a video clip on youtube that might give you some hint. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cd22VUnhmU

This skate is not designed for slalom skating at all. It's for beginners (entry level as of the skate's name) mainly for artistc inline skating, and recreational inline skating occasionally.

Cheers!
Arthur Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #7
firefly

Default Skates!!

Hi BB,
Just saw your message. (Sorry, computer has been in the shop for a few days. Caught a virus. ) Anyway, I'm back now....
I did send you a PM, but basically....

As far as freestyle goes.....At Worlds, almost everyone is now skating artistic inline on 3 wheel frames. From what I can see posted, it is the same for creative solo/dance.....So, except for the very beginner level, I feel safe saying that artistic is using 3 wheel frames. Can't help you on slalom. (Know nothing about it.) But check out some vids on youtube and/or try the Slalom Cone Skating Forum on this site.
If you are not doing freestyle (jumps/spins) and are doing recreational skating. Then the skates in the picture should be fine.

My skates are:
Boots: Riedell (Royals)
Frames: Snow White (originals)
Wheels: Speedmax

I have never used a 4 wheel frame so I do not know if you will have a problem adjusting if you want to change later. My best guess is that you should be able to do so within a few days. (Especially if you were able to conquer quad to inline, which is the real trick.) But, since I have only skated on 3 wheel frames, that is only a guess. Depending upon your level, you might want to start with the (beginner)skates in the picture and then upgrade to a Snow White or another 3 wheel frame later. (Note: If you are skating freestyle and can land an axel or above on quads, definitely upgrade now!!!! But I think the beginner skate in the picture would serve for single jumps and basic spins.)
Someone mentioned on a thread once that 4 wheels where easier to spin in but harder to land jumps in, and vice versa. So see what you think.....

Hope this Helps!!
FF
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #8
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Skate

I would agree with most of the comments above. In the roller skating inline world most of the skaters are using the three wheel rockered frames. In the Paris Open, which is not affiliated with the roller skating folks and that attracts more ice skaters and ice coaches there was a large number of PIC skates with four wheels. I don't endorse any one in particular and only speak from personal experience.

I own and have used both three wheel and four wheel and feel more comfortable in four wheels for free skate, but come from an ice background. I feel the rocker better and they feel more like my ice blades with a smoother transition from front to back. The longer wheelbase and heavier frame does affect some skaters and so some skaters may find three wheel frames better. A longer wheelbase may help some beginners since there is a longer platform to lessen forward and backward spills. Snow White also has a new frame that is lighter than the previous model.

For dance the wheels hanging further out the back may cause some issues. Even on ice they make the dance blades shorter. So my three wheel frames will be used when I get the dance going on inlines. (I'm still doing those on quads to give me some different perspectives). After the Open and Regionals I'm going to shift my training regime to include the dance on inlines.

If you can make it to the U.S. Open in Chicago next weekend, May 1 - 3 there will be exhibitors with both PIC and Snow Whilte frames that you can demo on. Go to the http://usopeninline.com website under news for the contact info. Anyone that is planning on attending and wants to try them out should send them an email and let them know you are coming so they can try to have some skates available.

Joe Kaplenk
Chair
Competition Planning Committee
U.S. Open Inline Chicago 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
Hi BB,
Just saw your message. (Sorry, computer has been in the shop for a few days. Caught a virus. ) Anyway, I'm back now....
I did send you a PM, but basically....

As far as freestyle goes.....At Worlds, almost everyone is now skating artistic inline on 3 wheel frames. From what I can see posted, it is the same for creative solo/dance.....So, except for the very beginner level, I feel safe saying that artistic is using 3 wheel frames. Can't help you on slalom. (Know nothing about it.) But check out some vids on youtube and/or try the Slalom Cone Skating Forum on this site.
If you are not doing freestyle (jumps/spins) and are doing recreational skating. Then the skates in the picture should be fine.

My skates are:
Boots: Riedell (Royals)
Frames: Snow White (originals)
Wheels: Speedmax

I have never used a 4 wheel frame so I do not know if you will have a problem adjusting if you want to change later. My best guess is that you should be able to do so within a few days. (Especially if you were able to conquer quad to inline, which is the real trick.) But, since I have only skated on 3 wheel frames, that is only a guess. Depending upon your level, you might want to start with the (beginner)skates in the picture and then upgrade to a Snow White or another 3 wheel frame later. (Note: If you are skating freestyle and can land an axel or above on quads, definitely upgrade now!!!! But I think the beginner skate in the picture would serve for single jumps and basic spins.)
Someone mentioned on a thread once that 4 wheels where easier to spin in but harder to land jumps in, and vice versa. So see what you think.....

Hope this Helps!!
FF
Old April 24th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #9
Ballistic Billiards
Bony Hawk

Thanks everyone for the help and support!!
I think I'm going to start with a slalom setup
that I can rocker and un-rocker as necessary.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #10
CPInlineSkater

Default PIC Now Has 3 Wheel Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaplenk View Post
I would agree with most of the comments above. In the roller skating inline world most of the skaters are using the three wheel rockered frames. In the Paris Open, which is not affiliated with the roller skating folks and that attracts more ice skaters and ice coaches there was a large number of PIC skates with four wheels. I don't endorse any one in particular and only speak from personal experience.

I own and have used both three wheel and four wheel and feel more comfortable in four wheels for free skate, but come from an ice background. I feel the rocker better and they feel more like my ice blades with a smoother transition from front to back. The longer wheelbase and heavier frame does affect some skaters and so some skaters may find three wheel frames better. A longer wheelbase may help some beginners since there is a longer platform to lessen forward and backward spills. Snow White also has a new frame that is lighter than the previous model.

For dance the wheels hanging further out the back may cause some issues. Even on ice they make the dance blades shorter. So my three wheel frames will be used when I get the dance going on inlines. (I'm still doing those on quads to give me some different perspectives). After the Open and Regionals I'm going to shift my training regime to include the dance on inlines.

If you can make it to the U.S. Open in Chicago next weekend, May 1 - 3 there will be exhibitors with both PIC and Snow Whilte frames that you can demo on. Go to the http://usopeninline.com website under news for the contact info. Anyone that is planning on attending and wants to try them out should send them an email and let them know you are coming so they can try to have some skates available.

Joe Kaplenk
Chair
Competition Planning Committee
U.S. Open Inline Chicago 2009

I just went to the PIC website and noticed they now have a 3 wheel setup. As I haven't tried the Snow White, I am not sure how they will compare with that 3 wheel setup.
CPInlineSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #11
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile Comparisons

It is tough to get a good idea by talking about the skates. Inevitably what works for one person doesn't work for another. If you can work out a trial basis or 30 day return on some frames then it allows you to get more experience.

Joe Kaplenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPInlineSkater View Post
I just went to the PIC website and noticed they now have a 3 wheel setup. As I haven't tried the Snow White, I am not sure how they will compare with that 3 wheel setup.
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #12
Wendy Hammond

Firefly - you must get hold of the new 'synergy' wheel. They will increase speed, spin better, last longer etc... etc...
Wendy Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #13
firefly

Default Synergy!!!

Hi Wendy!!
Yes, I definitely do want to get these wheels!! I am planning to pick up Snow White 2 frames sometime around August. Will order a set of these wheels to go with them!!