S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old January 2nd, 2018, 03:40 PM   #1
JOORAW

Default New here... Quad Suggestions as well!

Hello everyone my names Jeremy new to the forum here and just getting myself back into this scene after about 15 years.

I used to skate at the Fountain Valley Skating Rink every Sunday for family night for almost 7 years and recently just went back last Thursday for adult night. Definitely some nostalgia and realized how fun and relaxing a night out like that can be, except for wearing those rental skates! I plan on going a couple times a month now!

Also came on here just to get some thoughts on what pair of skates I should go for? Not looking really to spend too much just some decent speed skates and if anyone is willing to part ways with an older pair I am all eyes and ears. I would be about a size 10-10.5! I am located in Orange County.
JOORAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOORAW View Post
Also came on here just to get some thoughts on what pair of skates I should go for? Not looking really to spend too much just some decent speed skates and if anyone is willing to part ways with an older pair I am all eyes and ears. I would be about a size 10-10.5! I am located in Orange County.
I'm much like you and finding my way again after a 15 year hiatus. If you're after a low cost, used speed skate set, you'll have to keep your eyes on eBay, local classifieds or this forum section.

If you're not willing to wait and have a bit more to spend, there's still a reasonable supply of used speed wheels and plates available via this forum, but you're probably going to have to do your own build / mount. You'll end up with a 'nostalgia' build at a reasonable price. Alternatively, buy an off the shelf set of skates from companies like MOTA, Riedell, BONT etc, but most of their 'speed' skates are really derby skates.

Maybe fang around your local rink for a few months on that and then decide if you want back into the game to warrant something more personalised.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 01:02 PM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOORAW View Post
Hello everyone my names Jeremy new to the forum here and just getting myself back into this scene after about 15 years.

I used to skate at the Fountain Valley Skating Rink every Sunday for family night for almost 7 years and recently just went back last Thursday for adult night. Definitely some nostalgia and realized how fun and relaxing a night out like that can be, except for wearing those rental skates! I plan on going a couple times a month now!

Tell you what, I went through this many years ago. For an starting point I would get DA45 invaders, Hyperlicious wheels, inexpensive bearings and whatever boot you can afford.
1. The wheels are basic and will get it done cheaply
2. Bearings, no need to spend tons on bearings
3. Plates, invaders from sure grip. Then later as you can afford it, get the DA conversion kit. DA45 has the broadest tuning ability of skates. So you can tailor them to your preference.
4. What money is left would be for the boots of your choice.
This is a starting point solid skate setup.

Changes can be made as money is available that will improve the setup.
Note, if you have the money to do it. The avenger setup is very good and would be a little more than the invaders plus the DA kit.