S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM   #101
sk8crazy

Default 24 hour Registration Available

Notice from another thread that registration is now available. I checked the website and it has been updated, but strangely I did not receive an email from the organizers as promised. Did anyone get an email re date change, etc?

C
sk8crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #102
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Just got it.

Why the later date? Primarily for safety reasons, Parc Jean Drapeau has decided that from now on, races will be held on different dates than other kinds of events, thus avoiding interference from cars and pedestrians on the track. This means that the 2008 edition will take place entirely on the main track, without any detour through the woods.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #103
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8crazy View Post
Notice from another thread that registration is now available. I checked the website and it has been updated, but strangely I did not receive an email from the organizers as promised. Did anyone get an email re date change, etc?

C
Yep, I got one too. Here's the full text:

It's time at last to wish you Happy 2008 and to announce that registrations are now open for the 5th edition of 24hrs Inline Montreal, which will take place on September 6 and 7, 2008.

Why the later date? Primarily for safety reasons, Parc Jean Drapeau has decided that from now on, races will be held on different dates than other kinds of events, thus avoiding interference from cars and pedestrians on the track. This means that the 2008 edition will take place entirely on the main track, without any detour through the woods.

As always, we're offering a fee structure designed to encourage teams to register early. The lowest rate ends on March 1st, so don't wait to register your team as soon as possible. With three teams per paddock, places will be limited!

Come join us in celebrating this anniversary edition of the funnest event in inline… 5 years old in September!
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #104
Intrepid

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Cowbell View Post
If there's less traffic, does that mean they can eliminate the daytime detour through the Enchanted Forest? That would be nice.

Are you still going, Howard?

MC - Looks like you got your wish, no more communing with the Ents.

SQ has posted an evite to its members asking who is interested in participating in the Montreal race. So far 21 members have responded with a "definitely", 6 with a "not sure", 11 with a "not this year", and 36 have not responded yet. So far, we are expecting to register one fitness team and two rec teams and several members have expressed interest in going solo. I will be on one of the rec teams, and may be the captain of the team again.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #105
sk8crazy

Instead of 3 teams from the Toronto area like last year, there may only be 1 team. None of last year's captains are registering a team and most of the teammates can't make it in September for one reason or another.

Reasons being - date change (our team had 3 students & we lost them and their parents), Duluth a week later, weather (could be quite cool at night), 3 teams to a paddock (we had that last year and it was somewhat crowded). Those that can may combine to enter a team ... time will tell. On the upside --- no skating through the forest (but it did make things, shall we say, interesting) and less traffic.

Hopefully for the sake of the charity overall registration will not suffer.

Christine
Old January 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #106
sammy66

Wink

I love it. But I am in China. I would like to join in you.
sammy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:00 PM   #107
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

After much number crunching and trying to get this all worked out, it's not looking like I'm going to be able to swing this. I have another trip at the end of July, and possibly another for the end of the year, so funds are too tight.

So please change me from a maybe to a "no, unless I win the lottery."

Bummed. :cry:
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:45 PM   #108
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I'm really sorry to hear that - I was excited about having a derby girl on our team

We need to put Margo on the list - she's coming although she doesn't post here much.

01. Jessica
02. Birgit
03. Don - probably
04. speedsk8r "Jan"
05. ONOU - interested
06. EStealth - "count me in"
07. Rich Bonnette - considering options
08. J Larson - maybe
09. K Larson - maybe
10. Margo (Carvell)
11. eighteen_psi - maybe
Old February 3rd, 2008, 12:34 AM   #109
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

An update on this....

I had a brain cramp. My son's b-day is 9/3, not 9/7. I might be able to swing this. Only thing is that I will have to really work hard, since I haven't been on skates in 4 months.

Stay tuned.....
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #110
The General
Ninja Skater

Default 2008 Entry?

I may have missed it - have we entered a team, yet?
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #111
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

We haven't registered a team yet, but we can do it as soon as Jessica and the rest of you feel we have enough confirmed skaters. The teams signed up so far are listed at the bottom of this page: http://www.24inline.ca/teams.php

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #112
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I'm definitely going, as well as a couple of others, so we just need to fill out the team with 'for sures'. I'm looking at flights today. Mark pointed out that since Northshore is the following weekend, it could be practical (depending on your job situation) to fly directly from Montreal to Duluth. I plan on doing it that way - I'll get to spend a little more time in Montreal, yay!
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #113
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

So I FINALLY got a chance to watch the Skatelog DVD that Intrepid was kind enough to make for us and of course now I'm bawling like a baby. Not only because of the great time I had in Montreal, but because of the amazing job Howard did putting it together. I am so lucky to have such talented friends. Thank you Howard

If you guys are mulling it over as far as coming, you should really consider trying to make it because it will likely be one of the best experiences you'll ever have.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:25 AM   #114
sk8crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
If you guys are mulling it over as far as coming, you should really consider trying to make it because it will likely be one of the best experiences you'll ever have.
Jessica is right -- the 24 hour ranks up there as probably one of the top three events/races I have ever been a part of and I have attended a lot over the past 10 years. If you can possibly swing it to attend, do so. It is that amazing. The camraderie, friendships made and just out and out fun is unlike anything you've experienced at a skating event. It is that good!!

I've been so fortunate in that I've been able to attend 3 of the 4 years, but this year at this point in time I can't see any way that I can possibly attend. And beleive me, I am really upset about that. I'm hoping that things will change as the summer progresses and I'll be able to attend.

Christine
Old February 22nd, 2008, 03:44 AM   #115
More Cowbell
Curiously Strong

Quote:
So I FINALLY got a chance to watch the Skatelog DVD that Intrepid was kind enough to make for us and of course now I'm bawling like a baby. Not only because of the great time I had in Montreal, but because of the amazing job Howard did putting it together. I am so lucky to have such talented friends. Thank you Howard

+1

I reacted the same way to Howard's video, Jessica (except that I bawled in a manly, dignified fashion). That sequence of us finishing together is wonderful!
Old February 25th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #116
markthetrucker

Talking The way you guys talk about this event...wow

Gawd I feel so left behind in this whole in line arena! I can't wait to hear more about this and look out I may be looking to join in next year!
markthetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #117
Intrepid

Quote:
Jessica, MC - thanks for the kinds words, I am glad that you enjoyed the DVD. Kathie and Chuck sent me emails with very nice comments as well. I will be making an SQ DVD for this year's Montreal race so lets plan on doing one for SL and MC as well.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #118
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

The registration fee for a team goes up from $500 to $600 on March 1 and it increases to $700 on May 1. Jessica and others, do think we should go ahead and register a SkateLog team or should we hold off a bit? Either is OK with me.

- Kathie
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #119
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I think we have enough interest to consider ourselves a team, so I'd say go ahead and register to save some $. As always, we can't thank you enough Kathie
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #120
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

OK - I'll do it tonight! Jessica, you should receive the confirmation.

- Kathie