S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 13th, 2018, 08:10 PM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Plates with 0-5 degree king pin

Doc,
Do you know of any decent plates with 5 degree king pin.

I'm looking to build a skate with 3" trucks for skate park trips. The steeper the kingpin, the less likely I'll grind the corner of the kingpin/nut.

Bigfoot only offers Arius, Sunlite, Venus.
I'm not a fan of the Arius and Sunlite and the Venus has a 20 deg king pin.

Thanks
-Austin
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Doc,
Do you know of any decent plates with 5 degree king pin.

Rumor has it that the Labeda Pro Line is a pretty decent plate..It has a 5 king pin. So does the Ultimate III.

I'm looking to build a skate with 3" trucks for skate park trips.

Pro Line won't work for that. But it also puts you in a bit of a trick. Most of the 3" trucks I am aware of the fit pl8s are Sure Grips. The DA sure Grips are 10...

The steeper the kingpin, the less likely I'll grind the corner of the kingpin/nut.

I'm not following... Unless you are grinding, the all bets would be off.

Bigfoot only offers Arius, Sunlite, Venus.

I'm not a fan of the Arius

Smart. Neither am I...

and Sunlite

I think it's no more than 10... Not a big fan of those, but for ramp work it may be just fine.

and the Venus has a 20 deg king pin.

True.

Thanks
-Austin

I may be wrong but it seems to me the first thing you would need to do is find a 3" truck that would actually fit the plate correctly. The trucks may force your hand on what plate to go with.
Old February 15th, 2018, 07:01 PM   #3
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post

I may be wrong but it seems to me the first thing you would need to do is find a 3" truck that would actually fit the plate correctly. The trucks may force your hand on what plate to go with.
Thanks Doc,
I stopped by my dealer yesterday (Sun & Sk8) to look at their stock and scrap bin. That pretty much confirmed what you just said. In conclusion I'm basically forced to go with Sunlite and use shorter cushions.

My grinding comment regarded contacting a cement edge with the truck. If the king pin or king pin nut extends further down than the truck, it will get damaged. I want the truck to take all the abuse (just like a skateboard).
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:20 PM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Here's a pic of a skate I built a few years ago for trails and bowls. It's a modified Super-X with 3" Supreme trucks and a cone/cone cushion setup. Custom delrin grind bar. (Ignore the wheels, for pic only)

Indestructible.