S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1
stevefo

Question What is this washer for?

Doc,

I have Riedell Quest skates and they are all stock only a month old and I ordered a new set of wheels and bearings. After taking the wheels off I noticed that only some of the axles had a washer on them and other did not. Is there supposed to be washers on all axles? or is it a measurment thing? Do I need them?

Some websites say to have a washer on both sides of the wheel. I'm confused?

Last edited by stevefo; August 1st, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
stevefo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefo View Post
Doc,

I have Riedell Quest skates and they are all stock only a month old and I ordered a new set of wheels and bearings. After taking the wheels off I noticed that only some of the axles had a washer on them and other did not.

Are ya sure?? Those little guys can stick to the bearing race when you pull the wheels off..

Is there supposed to be washers on all axles?

If they are on some, you would think they would be on all of them..

or is it a measurment thing?

As in something to make the dimensions equal on both sides??

Do I need them?

Only if you have too much slop when the nut bottoms out on the threads of the axle...Or if the bearing face on the truck is rough..

Some websites say to have a washer on both sides of the wheel. I'm confused?
Well I have no idea what they are taking about... How about a link to a couple sites that say this..
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM   #3
stevefo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Well I have no idea what they are taking about... How about a link to a couple sites that say this..
They are not stuck to the bearing race.

I would think they should be on all the wheels on both sides.

I dont think it's a measurment thing

There is not much slop at all.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But, I think someone screwed up at the factory or the skate shop. I did research and found that all the washers for an 8mm axle should be 1.51mm thick and should be on both sides of the race. One on the axle side and the other on the nut side.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:47 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
They are not stuck to the bearing race.

I would think they should be on all the wheels on both sides.

I dont think it's a measurment thing

There is not much slop at all.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But, I think someone screwed up at the factory or the skate shop. I did research and found that all the washers for an 8mm axle should be 1.51mm thick and should be on both sides of the race. One on the axle side and the other on the nut side.
Sorry, I don't buy it.. I have 30+ pair of quads.. The ones with flip axles have washers... The ones with nuts do not.. I have been running like that for 12 years now...no issues...

I never put washers on customers sk8s unless we are doing flips or we run into an axle length vs bearing spacing issue.. Then one only between the truck and inner bearing...

However if you want to fiddle with lotsa washers, knock yourself out...

You still have not provided me with a like to where you are getting this bearing info.. It's awfully specific..
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:12 AM   #5
stevefo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Sorry, I don't buy it.. I have 30+ pair of quads.. The ones with flip axles have washers... The ones with nuts do not.. I have been running like that for 12 years now...no issues...

I never put washers on customers sk8s unless we are doing flips or we run into an axle length vs bearing spacing issue.. Then one only between the truck and inner bearing...

However if you want to fiddle with lotsa washers, knock yourself out...

You still have not provided me with a like to where you are getting this bearing info.. It's awfully specific..
Doc,

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just a newbie. I'm just want to be put in the right direction. When I take apart a skate wheel and see only two washers on one skate, I scratch my head. I made sure I did not drop any washers or lose them or stuck to the race. I really think that some bonehead at the factory put the wheels on without all the washers (8)

I would assume that there should be a washer on every wheel axle (8) before I put the wheel on. I found a site that sells just 8. I can't remember where I saw that there should be two on each side of wheel (16). I agree that messing with washers is a pain in the *ss.

I just want to make sure I don't damage anything. Would it be safe to just put 8 washers at 1.51mm thick on each wheel axle (8) before putting the wheels on?

http://hotquadsrollerskates.bigcarte...t/axle-washers

I have read many of your posts and replys and greatly appreciate your contribution to this forum.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:41 AM   #6
Live2sk888
Skate Whisperer

I've seen lots of package skates come with these, but I can't think of a time they were necessary on those skates.

Same as Doc said - these are the only 2 reasons I'd use them:
"Only if you have too much slop when the nut bottoms out on the threads of the axle...Or if the bearing face on the truck is rough.."

I always pull them off and toss them myself... who wants to try to keep up with those things when they aren't needed.
Live2sk888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:49 AM   #7
OffTheEdge
DjC Rockin' The Beat!

some of the older powerdyne trucks had the small black washers on them because there wasn't a smooth surface for the bearing race to ride against. the newer ones are cast with a sorta built in washer so you don't need the washer anymore.
OffTheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:53 AM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Doc,

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just a newbie. I'm just want to be put in the right direction. When I take apart a skate wheel and see only two washers on one skate, I scratch my head. I made sure I did not drop any washers or lose them or stuck to the race. I really think that some bonehead at the factory put the wheels on without all the washers (8)

I won't argue that..

I would assume that there should be a washer on every wheel axle (8) before I put the wheel on. I found a site that sells just 8. I can't remember where I saw that there should be two on each side of wheel (16). I agree that messing with washers is a pain in the *ss.

Good we are all going in the same direction..

I just want to make sure I don't damage anything. Would it be safe to just put 8 washers at 1.51mm thick on each wheel axle (8) before putting the wheels on?

If ya need them...

http://hotquadsrollerskates.bigcarte...t/axle-washers

OK I see whats up.. That site belongs to forum member Renegadeine... Derby sk8r from down under... Actually one of 2 from that part of the world that have made a mission to Mars.. Aussie Scott being the other..

What she is telling you is the washer are available if you need them.... Not mandatory by any means

I have read many of your posts and replys and greatly appreciate your contribution to this forum.
Thanks I try...

NOTE: I see posts from Live2sk888 and OffTheEdge. (Thanks guys) Both of these folks are in the business like I am.. Both of them know their stuff.. Note what they are saying about the washers as well.....
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:54 AM   #9
jbgerman

Washers between bearings and trucks is very "old-school" - like spacers in the center of the wheels between the bearings. It's not needed.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:03 AM   #10
stevefo

Thanks for everyones help in the above posts.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:17 PM   #11
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
Washers between bearings and trucks is very "old-school" - like spacers in the center of the wheels between the bearings. It's not needed.
Actually, jb, I prefer the spacer in the wheel provided its the right size for the hub (where it meets the inner races of both bearings when bearings are fully seated) but thats just me. Thats the cool thing about this, to each his own. What works you may or may not work for me and vice versa.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

I have tore down more than a few sets of new pd plates. Finding a set of plates with washers behind every wheel is becoming less and less common.

IMO, the washer is necessary on the plates with the unpolished trucks and even some of the polished trucks. Nobody has bothered to remove the flash left over from the casting process. The washer protects the bearing shield from the excessive flash.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #13
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Actually, jb, I prefer the spacer in the wheel provided its the right size for the hub (where it meets the inner races of both bearings when bearings are fully seated) but thats just me. Thats the cool thing about this, to each his own. What works you may or may not work for me and vice versa.
Me too, also the washers, I use dust caps for it. But I'am quite old-school. So I'm skating art boots also.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #14
Renegadeine

Can I just clarify that the link posted from my website doesn't say that

Quote:
all the washers for an 8mm axle should be 1.51mm thick and should be on both sides of the race
merely that the 8mm axle washers that I have for sale are an average of 1.51mm thick.

I personally don't advocate using axle washers on "thread and nut" axles unless you run out of thread on the axle and there is still considerable wheel movement. As Doc said, they are for sale if you need them.
Rebelicious! #99
Team Zebra - Adelaide Roller Derby
http://www.hotquadsrollerskates.com
Renegadeine is offline   Reply With Quote