S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 12th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #81
HK47
Roll Player

I suffer from an undocumented variant of SEDS - VSED (Vintage Skate Equipment Dependancy). Quality skate gear thats 50+ years old is the apple of my eye; looseball bearings, steel hangers, boots that were well used before I was even born, these are the oddments I drool over
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #82
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
I suffer from an undocumented variant of SEDS - VSED (Vintage Skate Equipment Dependancy). Quality skate gear thats 50+ years old is the apple of my eye; looseball bearings, steel hangers, boots that were well used before I was even born, these are the oddments I drool over

50 years ago is 1962. Snyder had been around for more than 10 years.
Chicago and Sure Grip had all but abandoned the riveted iron (steel?? I had no idea) hangers.
Cleveland had sold of their Model 200 tooling to Dominion since they were building the monocoque Sabre.

I only point this out to show that you may want to set your way back machine to 60+ years to keep all the modern stuff out.
Although I have NO use for loose ball bearings and their axles, I have a set of precision bearings that actually fit loose ball axles..

Shall I start accumulating such things again??
Then you can make a trip to Mars and acquire a large quantity of obsolete US sk8 swag..
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #83
HK47
Roll Player

Hamaco, Dexter, Beadle, Invicta & Aerflyte, however, were still well into looseballs - in the UK people started switching to precision in the mid-'60s, but a few didn't make the switch 'till the last of the old rough-wood rinks closed in about 1970 or so ...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about accumulating stuff to be honest, but if you did stumble accross some Dexter wheels, interesting old ~170mm wheelbase plates, men's US10 sized boots or other bits and bobs I sure would like to know A trip to the US to skate is definitely on my to-do list, but it's unlikely to happen for a couple of years ... when I make it over I'd definitely like to visit Mars and buy you a beer or two anyways
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #84
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
Hamaco, Dexter, Beadle, Invicta & Aerflyte, however, were still well into looseballs - in the UK people started switching to precision in the mid-'60s, but a few didn't make the switch 'till the last of the old rough-wood rinks closed in about 1970 or so ...

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about accumulating stuff to be honest, but if you did stumble accross some Dexter wheels, interesting old ~170mm wheelbase plates, men's US10 sized boots or other bits and bobs I sure would like to know A trip to the US to skate is definitely on my to-do list, but it's unlikely to happen for a couple of years ... when I make it over I'd definitely like to visit Mars and buy you a beer or two anyways
The last place I remember seeing loosies was in the rental skates at Wigan roller rink back in the 80's...
The skates, plates and wheels all looked ancient - boots were a horrible shate of dirty brown/beige, wheels were presumably originally orange and the plates were Chicago things that weighed a ton and had the turning ability of an ocean-going cargo ship.

The only other place I recall seeing them was in a skateboard I picked up at a jumble sale (also in the 80's) - at the time I had precision bearings in my skates with the shields removed and, being a naive teenager I assumed the 'board was the same until I took the nuts off and lost most of a wheel's worth to fridge suck!

Back OT: hoping to get my SEDS fix very soon, last time I checked the tracking thingie my wheels had left Sydney

Now with added Daughter!
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #85
bolivia

1) I am heavily SEDS'D.
2) I have skate parts and certain types of equipment sitting in my garage that would have been unthinkable just a year ago.
3) I continually add to Item 2.
4) My garage is covered with skate stuff. I think the only flat spot now is the top step of a 5' ladder.
5) I continually add to Item 4.
6) I need no help. Can do this on my own.

Doc sez: No you cannot. YOU desperately need my help..

Last edited by Doc Sk8; May 13th, 2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Leg pulling
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #86
Bastinlight3
Dis-Traction

Default Arg....

SED's, add to the list's above:

Wifey would kill me if she knew how much my swag costs or how much I've collected.

If I should croak prematurely, I have instructed her to send such swag to a pro to sell and she would be happy at how much would come back to her.

Should list swag on homeowners insurance.
Bastinlight3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #87
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastinlight3 View Post
Should list swag on homeowners insurance.
Swag Insurance new from The Gecko Insurance Co.

I might need that given my collection is growing and I've only been on quads for 6 months or so.

So far, 4 plates and two working skates, with a new plate boot and other gear on its way.
Old February 8th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #88
Bastinlight3
Dis-Traction

In about 2 years: 4 complete sets, XL on the way from mounting by Mr. Shelby. NOS Deano's and extra NOS tires and the D's i skate, Scott's, and RBT's.

More to sell than I can explain how I collected it. I will start listing soon.
(The sell pile is bigger than the keep pile)

If we just save for the really nice stuff and not buy whatever we think we need first SED's would not be such a problem.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #89
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Quote:
If we just save for the really nice stuff and not buy whatever we think we need first SED's would not be such a problem.
Exactly what I have concluded. Still gotta have the backup pair or two or three.... just encase you don't like your spendy new part.
Old February 11th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #90
MiltonChris
bOoGie -, bOoGie

Default ... *_ '

Quote:
In about 2 years: 4 complete sets, XL on the way from mounting by Mr. Shelby. NOS Deano's and extra NOS tires and the D's i skate, Scott's, and RBT's.

More to sell than I can explain how I collected it. I will start listing soon.
(The sell pile is bigger than the keep pile)

ummm.. do you got some 6 3/4 royals Bastinlight?
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #91
Bastinlight3
Dis-Traction

I do and they are perfectly paired to a beautiful one off stitch less 595 from MR. SHELBY, and so not F/S. Just wait till I post a new collection pic�� including the XL mounted to Dante Muses ex works Boiani Star Master.
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:46 PM   #92
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Default SEDS Anonnomus

Hi.

I'm Llama and I have SEDS.

I gave into it this weekend and fell off the wagon. Buying a $350 plate when a plate half as much might have sufficed... I bought the Arius in 167mm.

My only regret, is I don't have a mag avenger to compare it to.

*sobs maniacally*
Old February 20th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #93
GraySk8ter
76-not dead yet!

Default Auto for SEDS addicted

http://roadsidewonders.net/wp-conten...onskate2sm.jpg

GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #94
llama of death
DIY nutter/Gearhead

Yes! 11/10 would drive!
Old March 3rd, 2014, 01:05 AM   #95
jstewart45
Chupacabra Chaser

Default Yes I am also an addict

I must have a acute chronic case of SEDS. I just got back into skating last month, got my 695's out of the attic and started going to the rink with my son 7, and my daughter 4, and we had great time. It was so good that I decided I needed a newer pair of skates, not that the old ones were bad I just wanted some new ones. Got the boots first, some older 911's with the buckle then the sunlite plates , bones reds bearings and v-drive wheels. I thought that would cure my SEDS, nope. Got online this morning and found some power trac plates that are a great deal and I feel compelled to get them, and my new skates are not even assembled yet. Someone pleases help me, if I could just get a set of oberhamer 351 with prolines, fafnirs and fanjets I think I will be cured.
jstewart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 02:43 AM   #96
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstewart45 View Post
if I could just get a set of oberhamer 351 with prolines, fafnirs and fanjets I think I will be cured.
Nope, not gonna happen! I thought the same thing BUT .... good luck but you're stuck. Just keep buying as there's no cure ....
Old March 4th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #97
Bastinlight3
Dis-Traction

Haaaaa, SEDS, your screwed!
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:26 AM   #98
NorCal03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
Nope, not gonna happen! I thought the same thing BUT .... good luck but you're stuck. Just keep buying as there's no cure ....
Totally agree. It is just another step on your way to an attic full...
Old August 24th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #99
Thomas572

Ok i think i figured out what SED is really about.

In order to get that almost perfect pair of skates you need purchase one metric ton of skate parts right??
Thomas572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2014, 12:37 AM   #100
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas572 View Post
Ok i think i figured out what SED is really about.

In order to get that almost perfect pair of skates you need purchase one metric ton of skate parts right??
Not even close. I have several pair of "almost perfect" (for me) sk8s... Does that tell ya anything??

This pic is 9 months out of date. I no longer have enough room to hang them all.