S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 18th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #1
wannaskate

Default laser sliders ?

i just purchased 595s with laser slider from bagged64, i was looking for info on the plates cant seem to find any searching the net. I was wondering if you had any info, any info or advice will be appreciated
wannaskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Slider

Not much but I have sk8ed them and I liked 'em. Especially with a stiff boot....
Old May 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #3
wannaskate

yeah i had seen that flyer on here but other than that i havent found anything, thanks for that though
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default OK

So be more specific... Ask questions other than Do I have any info etc...
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM   #5
wannaskate

ok i guess i deserved that, where can i get parts, mainly new bushings, theres 4 thick ones and 4 thin ones.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Pics help..

I have seen those configured a couple of different ways...
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:31 AM   #7
wannaskate

ok i pulled my plates a part and dyed them, what is the best way to tighten everything back up and set the cushion tension, and do i tighten the bottom lock nut againest the plate after i adjust the cushion tension
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Yes...

That is the way most conventional king pin actions work.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #9
wannaskate

Default broke

ok so i skated my skates last night for the first time the metal bar broke, but to me it seems like this perticular set up the metal bar is a major support piece, not a jump bar, sense the top plastic is so thin, can i run them without it or do a really need a new pair of plates, i think i will have a hard time finding a replacement piece, also if i do replace the plates what plate and size would you recommend i would like to stay under 150$ and i dont mind used, i mainly speed skate and shuffle not really jam skating yet anyways, i have a old pair of 595s size 10.5 and also how much do you charge to mount plates,

Last edited by wannaskate; May 25th, 2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Bad Juju

You broke the jump bar?? Wow, that bar is about as stout as they come.... DO NOT sk8 them without the jump bar because they are the main structural support on the Slider.... Your boot is the other structural support....

Sounds like new plates time...
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
wannaskate

i guess i edit my post while you were replying if you u dont mind read again
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default OK

Shoot me a PM
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #13
wannaskate

pm sent
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Snarf77
Jump On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
You broke the jump bar?? Wow, that bar is about as stout as they come.... DO NOT sk8 them without the jump bar because they are the main structural support on the Slider.... Your boot is the other structural support....

Sounds like new plates time...
Doc. There is a woman at my rink who skates laser sliders and had no idea they needed the lower bar. She says she hasn't had a bar in 10 years! She looks to weigh about 110 pounds and has not broken them yet, but I told her she needed the bar...

She called Sure-grip as she felt the lasers "felt funny" and they said they had never heard of a "laser slider" and told her just to not worry about the bar. They they proceeded to sell her a set of double-action trucks for the slider. Now she says they skate even worse than before.

She kept the original trucks and i have her some new cushions. What are the chances of finding a bar to fit her slider? She is a 7.5 but that is no indication of how long the bar should be or even if they mounted it with a specific bar length in mind? Should I try to find a few for her and see if one fits, or measure some specific distance and match it up against original bar sizes?
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #15
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
Doc. There is a woman at my rink who skates laser sliders and had no idea they needed the lower bar. She says she hasn't had a bar in 10 years! She looks to weigh about 110 pounds and has not broken them yet, but I told her she needed the bar...

Lucky lady...

She called Sure-grip as she felt the lasers "felt funny" and they said they had never heard of a "laser slider"

They have now. Remember, Sure grip bought the Laser line LONG after the Slider came and went.

and told her just to not worry about the bar. They they proceeded to sell her a set of double-action trucks for the slider. Now she says they skate even worse than before.

I'm sure. The DA Laser trucks are not worth a flip to begin with as far as I am concerned.

She kept the original trucks

Regular Laser 45 degree trucks..

and i have her some new cushions.

They are not the standard ones...

What are the chances of finding a bar to fit her slider?
She is a 7.5 but that is no indication of how long the bar should be or even if they mounted it with a specific bar length in mind?

Depends on where the plates was sizes to. They are very specific in size.. If the holes are off, they will have to be reworked....shorter

Should I try to find a few for her and see if one fits, or measure some specific distance and match it up against original bar sizes?

I know where a pile are.... Let me do some checking...
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #16
markthetrucker

LOL I had a pair of these for about an hour or so....worst plate ever designed above a size....lets say 6. flex like crazy and don't scoff at breaking the jump bar Doc...I broke the jump bar and snapped the kingpin. I still have the wheel rub mark on the sole of my boot from the ensuing collapse... I got my Dominator after that.
markthetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #17
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation Bust an anvil??

It's possible to break anything.

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #18
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Shoot me a PM

early next week... I just scored a stash of Slider jump bars.
Old March 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #19
Armadillo

Default Excuse me jumping in hear, but I have much slider info

If you don't mind me jumping in Doc, I also have a box of slider bars in most sizes, so if you don't find the needed one, let me know & I will check mine too.
The Slider's nylon slide bars, ALONE, can offer almost no resistance to the torsional twisting if the skate. Until the steel bar is installed, the boot sole is going to be the main structure helping to resist twisting, and unless it is a Bont carbon boot, it cannot replace what the missing steel bar normally delivers. Not having a bar will tend to make the two axles track on different arcs during turns. This might also even produce some instability while just going straight ahead.
Aside from installing the missing steel bars, another option is gluing a piece of 1/8" Dragon Plate carbon fiber sheet on top of the slider. This would stiffen up the plate dramatically, and could also solve the problem without installing the steel bar. The carbon sheet, however, is a much bigger job, and more expensive item as well. The size of a carbon sheet could be much smaller than the one in the PIC below (the flexible rubber soled skate shoe demanded a wider carbon sheet than a normal skate boot would need).

-Armadillo
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #20
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Thanks...

I'll post what I have when I get them here. I know there is a gap in the sizes, I just don't know where... Maybe between the 2 of us...