S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 24th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #1
FarmTruk
rusty bones

Default "Oilite" bronze pivot bushings...

A few weeks back, I was cleaning up my Reactors, and noticed a LOT of gunk/black cruddy goo inside and around the pivot pin bushings.

So I got after it with some isopropal alcohol and Q-Tips. I got them relatively clean, and after adding a drop of 3-In-1 oil to the bushing cavity, reassembled them.

I am somewhat familiar with oilite, but I have got to thinking...did the alcohol solvent remove too much of the impregnated oil? Did the 3-In-1 soak back in to the porous bronze?

They seem fine now, and I may be overthinking this, but I do like these plates, and want to avoid long-term damage to either the bushing or pivot.

Any comments/experiences are appreciated.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Oilite bronze, also known as powdered metal, is impregnated with 30 wt oil.
It seems unlikely that the alcohol sucked all of the oil out of the bronze.
reoiling was a good idea. You might go back an add a drop of 30 non-detergent if you have some lying around. That is the stuff used commonly in air compressors. A drop of motor oil would do nicely, also. Some of it should soak back in.

Doc sez: Watch 'em close for a while just to be on the safe side... Since the material is vacuum impregnated to start with, it is not real easy to refill!!

Last edited by Doc Sk8; May 24th, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Added content.
Reserector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Reserector
ameteur debunker

Apollogy:
I am not Doc Sk8. Doc, I sincerely apollogize for posting in your forum again. I feel like such a doofus. You are most gracious for not flaming me even though I deserve it.

-Res-
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #4
FarmTruk
rusty bones

hehehe...resurector...I've done that a few times myself. Sorta' maybe confusored with teh "any all comments appreciated". If doc sk8 don' mind, ne'r do I.

Thanks for both replies. Doc, I was aware the oilite can be "recharged" but apparently needs specialized equipment. Hope springs eternal that a good recoating with teh 3-1 oil will somewhat help, though.

Next question is...I presume these bushings are replaceable if they become worn/damaged?

yea? nay?
Old May 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Replaced..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmTruk View Post
hehehe...resurector...I've done that a few times myself. Sorta' maybe confusored with teh "any all comments appreciated". If doc sk8 don' mind, ne'r do I.

Thanks for both replies. Doc, I was aware the oilite can be "recharged" but apparently needs specialized equipment. Hope springs eternal that a good recoating with teh 3-1 oil will somewhat help, though.

Next question is...I presume these bushings are replaceable if they become worn/damaged?

yea? nay?
You bet ya.. Too bad they are not Delrin.. Cheaper and better wearing...
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #6
FarmTruk
rusty bones

Well, i feel a bit better after this thread. Also, a bit of googling found this page, and it did recommend periodic re-oiling, or "supplemental" lubrication.

http://www.loganact.com/tips/sleeve_...gs/oilube5.gif

Surely for such a low stressed bushing, the brief cleaning with rubbing alcohol on the surface goopage would be mitigated with an immediate drop of fresh clean lube to replace.

regardless, I feel better when my skates are cleaned up and not gunky.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. This board rocks!!!

Old June 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #7
thesilverspyder
Luke Skatewalker

Where would one go to find replacement pivot cups for reactors? Mine are worn down to the plate after 1 year of heavy usage.
thesilverspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Where??

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesilverspyder View Post
Where would one go to find replacement pivot cups for reactors? Mine are worn down to the plate after 1 year of heavy usage.
Any decent Riedell dealer...