S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > About This Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

About This Forum Forum announcements plus how to do things like editing your user profile and dealing with images.

Old March 9th, 2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default SkateLog Forum is Moving to Skate Debate Dot Com

FROM SKATELOG FORUM OWNER KATHIE FRY:
This post is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator.

I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my current forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright.

I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: "SkateDebate Forum"
NEW WEB SITE: http://www.skatedebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
CREATE AN ACCOUNT IN JESSICA'S FORUM:
http://skatedebate.com/index.php?p=/entry/register

There will be a transition period of a few months, during which time both forums will be available, but we strongly encourage everyone to start new discussions in Jessica's SkateDebate Forum, because the SkateLog Forum will be going offline in June of 2020.

Thank you everybody for so many years friendship and support. I will be visiting Jessica's skating forum often, but now I will be just another user like all of you!

KathieSkateLog
(my user name in Jessica's SkateDebate Forum)
http://www.tapdancingresources.com/

Last edited by Kathie Fry; March 9th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 06:44 PM   #2
kufman

Sorry to see SkateLog shut down but glad there is another place we can all get together online. Thanks for the last 20 years! Quick question, is there some way to archive all the posts in Skatelog and turn them into a file? So much useful technical information exists here. It would be shame to lose it all.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2020, 07:23 PM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Sorry to see SkateLog shut down but glad there is another place we can all get together online. Thanks for the last 20 years! Quick question, is there some way to archive all the posts in Skatelog and turn them into a file? So much useful technical information exists here. It would be shame to lose it all.
+1
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 08:04 PM   #4
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
I downloaded the entire speed skating forum {1GB} to my computer using HTTrack. {free} I had no idea what I was doing but it worked. Now I just open the link in my browser and it's like it's always been, just can't post to it.

It took over 4 hours but now all that history, good info, etc. is preserved. I might do the same with a couple other forums when I get a chance.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 08:56 PM   #5
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I downloaded the entire speed skating forum {1GB} to my computer using HTTrack. {free} I had no idea what I was doing but it worked. Now I just open the link in my browser and it's like it's always been, just can't post to it.

It took over 4 hours but now all that history, good info, etc. is preserved. I might do the same with a couple other forums when I get a chance.
Nice!!! I might have to do the same.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:08 AM   #6
Dreggerz

Thanks for all you did, skatelog helped my dream of roller skating grow into a deep passion I hope continues all my life. God bless y’all.
Dreggerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2020, 12:42 PM   #7
Slinkydog

Beware the new site, my antivirus blocked a bunch of phishing programs when I tried to access the skate debate website to sign up.
Until the malware on the new site is taken care of, I would avoid visiting it.

Update: RESOLVED! Use the new site but make sure your antivirus didn't blacklist it!

Last edited by Slinkydog; March 13th, 2020 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Resolved
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2020, 01:44 PM   #8
janneman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Fry View Post
FROM SKATELOG FORUM OWNER KATHIE FRY:
This post is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator.

a big enormeous gigantic superduper THANK YOU Kathie for all the work, the patience , the engagement you have put into this.

with love from Rotterdam, Holland
Old March 10th, 2020, 09:27 PM   #9
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Thank you Kathie for all the hard work you've put into this.

Just looked at Jessica's site and THANK GOD, there isn't an off-topic section.
Woo Hoo!!
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2020, 03:28 AM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Hmm. I wonder how many people will make the move? How many are active here? 40 or 50? It's an awful shame so many got siphoned off to social media sites. Horrible place for information. No history.

Well, thanks to the Admins, and to all those who have provided good info to the community.
Old March 11th, 2020, 07:19 AM   #11
Inline?-LOL
Did you just fall???

This forum has a ton of information. Will it all be transferred? Is there someone who can take over this forum to keep the information for the future?

Thanks..
Old March 11th, 2020, 05:35 PM   #12
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Hmm. I wonder how many people will make the move? How many are active here? 40 or 50? It's an awful shame so many got siphoned off to social media sites. Horrible place for information. No history.

Well, thanks to the Admins, and to all those who have provided good info to the community.
That's my concern. When the old speed skating forum shut down and we moved here, at least half didn't make the move.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2020, 11:02 PM   #13
Sunnyape
-- rufff --

Default Thanks

I've only been a member here for a few years, but thanks for making the effort.
Sunnyape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2020, 12:47 PM   #14
rwsz

wow been here so long but i understand. Good luck to you and Jessica.
Old April 11th, 2020, 11:47 PM   #15
COJT

Default Dangerous website

When I try to go onto the new website, my virus software says it is a dangerous website and blocks me from going there.
COJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2020, 03:40 AM   #16
AZSHOT

Glad I found this forum a few years ago, when I decided to get back into skating after raising a family. Lots of good research on wheels, plates, boots, and even had Doc create a pair of skates for me. All that data and good content, answers to questions is gold. If people could go back and talk to workers or hobbyists from any subject area from say the 1930s, they'd love to. Most of it wasn't written down. In the digital age people DID write it down, and the assumption is "the Internet lives forever". But it doesn't. I've seen a LOT of hobby forums die in the past 10 years. All the work, conversations, thoughts....gone.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2020, 07:48 PM   #17
frail

I only visit sporadically, but I'm sad to see this place go along with all its history.

Vanilla Forums does support the migration of data from vBulletin forums like this one: https://vanillaforums.com/en/services/migration/ I think they charge for it, but it would preserve the history of this site and its user base.

It may be too late, but might I suggest an alternative? Tapatalk Groups is free (or really, really cheap for more premium options), has all the same benefits as Vanilla Forums, as well as a smartphone app, and you can migrate this forum's data, users, etc. free of charge to preserve the rich history of this site.
frail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2020, 10:52 PM   #18
hoohoorjoo

Cool

Sorry to see Skatelog go the way of the dodo bird. I've enjoyed my 3 yrs here. I will be visiting the new site. I do hope this info here can be archived. I've learned(and re-learned) a lot here. Thanks to everyone who made it possible for the last 20 yrs or so. Wish I had found it sooner.
hoohoorjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 06:34 AM   #19
Gville-Schooler
THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!!

Default 2020

sux!