S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 9th, 2018, 02:40 AM   #1
Abyss

Default Boots question

My profile pic shows my currently built skates. Heres the basics......
White viper m4 boot (junk i know)
V-drive wheels
New sure grip cushons
New hardware
New bones bearings
New DA trucks w/8mm axels
OLD sure grip probe plates from my original carreras (beat up plates but in great shape as far as i can tell).

Im looking to replace the boot as these r new and were free but i hear are VERY cheap. I have wide feet and generally wear a 10.5 shoe. I am after white boots for jam skaing or at least that low top style like my old carreras or jam skates that will accomodate my wide feet. Cost is of course a factor. Any help/suggestions for boots is appreciated as well as comments/help about my setup or possibly plates for when its time.
Old February 9th, 2018, 06:22 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
My profile pic shows my currently built skates. Heres the basics......
White viper m4 boot (junk i know)

Yeah pretty much.

V-drive wheels

Sk8 'em like ya stole 'em, then upgrade.

New sure grip cushons

Care to expand?? there are several SG cushions that will fit that plate.

New hardware

New bones bearings

Bones makes a lot of different bearings.

New DA trucks w/8mm axels

What was wrong w/ the old ones??

OLD sure grip probe plates from my original carreras (beat up plates but in great shape as far as i can tell).

OK

Im looking to replace the boot as these r new and were free but i hear are VERY cheap.

Again, sk8 'em like ya stole 'em, unless they are hurting your feet.

I have wide feet and generally wear a 10.5 shoe.

Uh 10 1/2 wide or 10 1/2 to get the width you need??

OK ... science time. I don't care what size shoes you wear. Sk8 shoes are not for walking in and I can just about guarantee when fit up properly they most likely will NOT match what you usually wear to walk in. So go to the shoe store and find a men's Brannock device. Then measure both feet, length width and arch length. Write it down or shoot pix w/ your phone. Then we can know where you really need to go.

I am after white boots for jam skaing or at least that low top style like my old carreras or jam skates that will accomodate my wide feet.

Measure your feet. "Wide" is relative. Measurements, when done correctly, are much more accurate.

Cost is of course a factor.

Of course it is. Now think about this. You got 2 feet and that's it. Going "cheap" on sk8 shoes is not really a smart move unless you have plain Jane normal feet... KInda like a helmet. If you got a 25.00 head, get a 25.00 helmet. Since you are saying "wide" and want white we are most likely looking @ a special order Riedell or Bont.

Any help/suggestions for boots is appreciated as well as comments/help about my setup or possibly plates for when its time.
I'll be glad to help you out.... but let's cut to the chase and do it scientifically. NOTE: Riedells DO NOT run "large". Riedells run in Riedell sizes. I find them almost dead nuts fitting the standard Ritz or Brannock sizes.. Ignore anyone that makes generic statements about brand x fits however. I'll give you an example My left foot measures 8 1/2 C. My right foot 9C ALL my newer Riedells are 9s and I like 'em snug. So my 9s do not run big. Granted I have a couple of older 8 1/2 595s that fit, but they were well broken in before I ever laid hands on them.

Bont's run big, unless you understand the "USA" size on the tag inside is not a USA size. Remeber what I said about my Riedells?? My Bonts are either 8s or 7 1/2 left and 8 right. And here in lies the rub. Many times you will not know until you have your foot in the boot if it is right.

So get measured. Wear out what you got and save your money. The we can do it right. Boots, plates, bearing, wheels.... I can help ya out.
Old February 9th, 2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I'll be glad to help you out.... but let's cut to the chase and do it scientifically. NOTE: Riedells DO NOT run "large". Riedells run in Riedell sizes. I find them almost dead nuts fitting the standard Ritz or Brannock sizes.. Ignore anyone that makes generic statements about brand x fits however. I'll give you an example My left foot measures 8 1/2 C. My right foot 9C ALL my newer Riedells are 9s and I like 'em snug. So my 9s do not run big. Granted I have a couple of older 8 1/2 595s that fit, but they were well broken in before I ever laid hands on them.

Bont's run big, unless you understand the "USA" size on the tag inside is not a USA size. Remeber what I said about my Riedells?? My Bonts are either 8s or 7 1/2 left and 8 right. And here in lies the rub. Many times you will not know until you have your foot in the boot if it is right.

So get measured. Wear out what you got and save your money. The we can do it right. Boots, plates, bearing, wheels.... I can help ya out.
Copy that and will do!!! Appreciate it and when it gets closer to new boot time then i will drop a new question with better info and go from there. Much appreciate it sir.

Also to answer ya. The cushons i got were nothing special just black ones and the old original trucks had issues witht he axels spinning free i side the trucks on 2 of them so were just old and wore out i guess from years an years of skating. And yes, 10.5 wide. I do not seek out larger shoes to accomodate width. Thats what i did long long ago in a skating rink far far away though. I bought size 11 carreras to accomodate width. Thankfully it worked out in that i stance and its the only skates i have ever owned till i basically built these white ones i have now

Last edited by Abyss; February 9th, 2018 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Typos
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote