S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old February 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #321
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Hi Julie:

Yes, Racer & Split Woods = the same, thats me.. Richard....

Donn Calvano and I formed up in 1969 and ran C&L Speed Skating Eqpt out of New Brunswick NJ until 1975...

Cliff Nazzaro who managed Kendal Park just down the road from our shop was and is, a good friend....He was a heck of a racer in his day, 50's - 60's timeframe and a multi National Champion in the A....along with Dave Baabs..

I had heard that Donn was coaching at KP for a while. He won Nationals several times in the early to mid 50's in 4 man Mens Relay, skating out of Empire Rollerdrome in Brooklyn, NY....he went onto become one of the best Distance skaters in the Nation for many years.....

Yes if Kevin can come up wiht some email and phone contact info for me for both Steve and Fred, that would be great, we lost touch with each other a long time ago....

I guess I met Buggy for the first time in 1958-59 at a race meet in Pa.....so you could say we go way back.....

Racer
Racer,

I think I mentioned to you sometime last year that Cliff is now out in Las Vegas. His nephew is managing the rink for the new owners.

Donn has been coaching at a rink up in Morristown, NJ for seveal years now.

If Kevin finds out anything about Steve or Fred, we'll let you know.

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #322
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
Julie - I asked Mom about Kevin, and she had the same thoughts I did. Skinny kid, blond hair, a little older than me. (I turn 47 next week). So yes, we know Kevin, and I'm sure he knows us. The family was more on the artistic side of things, but you can see from my & Richard's posts, the crossover is quite far-reaching.
Mike - you're memory is right on. Kevin is still skinny with blond hair, although age has thinned it out a little, lol. Kevin is now 50. If you look on our team's website (www.ffwdskating.com go into the website and look under "Team Coaches" and click on Kevin's thumbnail picture) you can see for yourself that Kevin looks pretty much the same. From the shots in the thumbnail, from both Indoor and Outdoor Nationals, you can see he is still the small, skinny guy. But he's still VERY fast.

Did you know Cathy Morante? I know her son was a world class artistic skater. She is involved in speed now. She was down at our practice this morning with a couple of her skaters. Kevin skates for her outdoor team.

Forgot to say, welcome to the forum!

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #323
Racer

Hi Julie:

Now that you mention it, I think I do recall you saying that but it was a while ago...all the grey hairs are settling in you see!!!

I am planning a trip to Vegas in May, if you coud ask his nephew for Cliff's email and phone number for me I would like to get in touch with him and see if we can maybe have lunch or dinner while I am out there...Last time I saw Cliff was at US Nationals I would say over 30 years ago....

Thanks for the effort in helping me get in touch with some of my old buddys..

Regards to your hubby....

Racer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Racer,

I think I mentioned to you sometime last year that Cliff is now out in Las Vegas. His nephew is managing the rink for the new owners.

Donn has been coaching at a rink up in Morristown, NJ for seveal years now.

If Kevin finds out anything about Steve or Fred, we'll let you know.

Julie
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #324
mkmkenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Mike - you're memory is right on. Kevin is still skinny with blond hair, although age has thinned it out a little, lol. Kevin is now 50. If you look on our team's website (www.ffwdskating.com go into the website and look under "Team Coaches" and click on Kevin's thumbnail picture) you can see for yourself that Kevin looks pretty much the same. From the shots in the thumbnail, from both Indoor and Outdoor Nationals, you can see he is still the small, skinny guy. But he's still VERY fast.

Did you know Cathy Morante? I know her son was a world class artistic skater. She is involved in speed now. She was down at our practice this morning with a couple of her skaters. Kevin skates for her outdoor team.

Forgot to say, welcome to the forum!

Julie
If you see Cathy Morante, you definitely have to mention the Kennedy family to her. Her kids & us grew up together at "Roll & Ice", which was a rink on Long Island that had an ice rink downstairs & a roller rink upstairs. Her kids, Chris, Fred & Diane, all skated with us in various combinations. Fred actually skated elementary dance with my sister Peggy. We spent a lot of time with the Morante's over the years. Thanks for another blast from the past.

Kevin looks just as we remembered him

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #325
Racer

Hi Julie:

Ever able to get some contact detail for Cliff, Steve and/or Fred for me??

Thanks,

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Hi Julie:

Now that you mention it, I think I do recall you saying that but it was a while ago...all the grey hairs are settling in you see!!!

I am planning a trip to Vegas in May, if you could ask his nephew for Cliff's email and phone number for me I would like to get in touch with him and see if we can maybe have lunch or dinner while I am out there...Last time I saw Cliff was at US Nationals I would say over 30 years ago....

Thanks for the effort in helping me get in touch with some of my old buddys..

Regards to your hubby....

Racer
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #326
Barracuda

Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #327
beingv

Default Chicago Gloria Nord's with Raybestos Wheels - '40s

Not speed skates, but certainly vintage...
I recently rescued these Chicago Gloria Nord skates online and can't wait to get them in my hands so I can hopefully restore them to their former glory. My first pair of vintage skates...

ETA: Got my skates, they're Riedell boots! Those Raybestos wheels are rock hard and slippery as heck...

Last edited by beingv; May 29th, 2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: clarity
beingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM   #328
18WHEELS
Rollin'

Exclamation Before, We got the helmets !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
These brothers had a big an impact on quad racing in the 80's and into the
90's.

Dante Muse

Tony Muse

These pictures are from the US Indoor Championships in 1986.
I'll always remember the sticker Dante had on the back of his helmet:
"I LOVE JESUS" I Think it served him well..

Check out those O's
18WHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #329
EISNERRACING

ck this out everyone..
You can find all results on indoor and outdoor speed skating
I found legends around my part of GA.
My cousin Emily Toothill and her ex husband Dereck Downings
my old spped team buddies Micheal and Freddie Botanzas and a few more....

kind of neat ...see how you can find..

http://usarollersports.org/pages/4645
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #330
msdebagain

thanks for the link, it was nice to see all of the CA peeps from the 70's.
msdebagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #331
EISNERRACING

i thought everyone would like it as well..
I know i do everytime i look it up..
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:11 AM   #332
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
Richard - spoke to my Mom last night when I picked her up from the airport. She laughed when I told her we had been in touch, and she couldn't believe that a simple post on the internet could connect 2 different generations, as we connected here. She doesn't have any info for Gail, as she lost touch when Gail moved to FL. She does have her ex-husband's phone number, but that might be a little touchy :-)

Julie - I asked Mom about Kevin, and she had the same thoughts I did. Skinny kid, blond hair, a little older than me. (I turn 47 next week). So yes, we know Kevin, and I'm sure he knows us. The family was more on the artistic side of things, but you can see from my & Richard's posts, the crossover is quite far-reaching.

I'm going to try to find some of the old photos this wekend & post some. Don't hold me to it, because between running the kids from Lacrosse, Basketball, Band practice, Karate, etc. I may have a few minutes to myself.

Mike
Mike:

What have you been up to of late??

Racer
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #333
sprinter1956

Default Introduction: Old Time Speed Skater

Hello, My name is Bob Manseau.. I speed skated in 1956 1957 1958 1966. I traveled and was at nationals these years.. I was trying to located some of my old friends and team skaters like Eddie Perales, Don Calvano, John Drewery , Carter,, Sharon Stevens, Mary out of Santa Anna California, etc.. I DROVE Eddie Perales from Torrance CAlifornia to the Club in Redondo Beach so he could skate with me and our team... I would LOVE to join your forum and catch up with old friends and good times..

user name: sprinter1956
I skated flat track
I was a sprinter
Skated for Redondo Beach Speed Club 1955-1958
Coaches were Speck Saunders (owned the rink) Ralph Veladarous

New York in 1966
Arizona in 1960.

I live in Utah, I havent skated since 1966. I skated with shoes I special ordered out of New Zealand made of kangaroo hide, and sure grip plates. Wooden wheels, cant remember the names now, but also specialty item. I skated mens relay in 1966 at the Nationals, 1956 Mixed relay[IMG][/IMG], Out of Redondo Beach California and went to Nationals in Virgina, 1957 I went to Nationals and 1958 Mens relay and mixed at Nationals. ( I think it was in Ohio,, can't remember.) In 1966 I was on a men's relay team and also went to Nationals with Don Calvano and John Drewery and Buddy Carter,, you have a picture of our team on your forum..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...08023203PM.jpg
I am the third from the left...

Bobby Manseau

Last edited by sprinter1956; December 30th, 2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: double posted
sprinter1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:42 AM   #334
sprinter1956

Default Introduction: Old Time Speed Skater

Hello, My name is Bob Manseau.. I speed skated in 1956 1957 1958 1966. I traveled and was at nationals these years.. I was trying to located some of my old friends and team skaters like Eddie Perales, Don Calvano, John Drewery , Carter,, Sharon Stevens, Mary out of Santa Anna California, etc.. I DROVE Eddie Perales from Torrance CAlifornia to the Club in Redondo Beach so he could skate with me and our team... I would LOVE to join your forum and catch up with old friends and good times..

I skated flat track
I was a sprinter
1955-1958 Skated for Redondo Beach Speed Club.
1960 In Arizona and in 1966 in New Jersey

I live in Utah, I havent skated since 1966. I skated with shoes I special ordered out of New Zealand made of kangaroo hide, and sure grip plates. Wooden wheels, cant remember the names now, but also specialty item. I skated mens relay in 1966 at the Nationals, 1956 Mixed relay, Out of Redondo Beach California and went to Nationals in Virgina, 1957 I went to Nationals and 1958 Mens relay and mixed at Nationals. ( I think it was in Ohio,, can't remember.) In 1966 I was on a men's relay team and also went to Nationals with Don Calvano and John Drewery and Buddy Carter,, you have a picture of our team on your forum..

I am the third from the left
Bobby Manseau
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #335
Racer

Hi Bob:

Sorry to report that John Drewry, Grady Merrill, and Charles Wahlig have passed away.

If you email me I can put you in touch with Charlene Drewry, Buddy Carter, Donn Calvano and Eddie Perales.

I skated Mens and Mixed Relay with Donn in 61 at Nationals in Ft Worth Tx and , Mens Relay in 63 in Lincoln Neb., and in 64 Mens Relay again at Nationals in Louisville Ky.

He and I formed up and ran C&L Speed Skating Ept., New Brunswick, NJ from 69-75 together. He runs his own Skate Distributorship still today back in NJ.

My email addy is richardmlevine@msn.com

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter1956 View Post

I skated flat track
I was a sprinter
1955-1958 Skated for Redondo Beach Speed Club.
1960 In Arizona and in 1966 in New Jersey

I live in Utah, I havent skated since 1966. I skated with shoes I special ordered out of New Zealand made of kangaroo hide, and sure grip plates. Wooden wheels, cant remember the names now, but also specialty item. I skated mens relay in 1966 at the Nationals, 1956 Mixed relay, Out of Redondo Beach California and went to Nationals in Virgina, 1957 I went to Nationals and 1958 Mens relay and mixed at Nationals. ( I think it was in Ohio,, can't remember.) In 1966 I was on a men's relay team and also went to Nationals with Don Calvano and John Drewery and Buddy Carter,, you have a picture of our team on your forum..

I am the third from the left
Bobby Manseau
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #336
xlracer

Wow Bob I just read your post and got a chill. That is so cool that you found us. Everytime a true old school racer finds this site I get a big kick out of it.
Welcome back. I know that Richard can get you in touch with some of your old friends.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #337
sprinter1956

Default great to meet you

I am SO glad to hear back from you. Thank you.. I was wondering if we know eachother? I have been looking for Eddie for about 6 years now.. He was a real good friend of mine. We skated many relays together.. Looks like you made it to Nationals on the years I didn't,,, lol

I would really like to have any addresses, email address,, etc of the ones still alive that you have, especially Eddie.. Looking forward to hearing back from you.. Bob
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #338
sprinter1956

Default good times

I have been so excited to read the forum and see your posts.. I have some pictures of our relay teams.. I may even have a video or two... I am calling my daughter tonight, and have her send me a pic of my old shoes. she wanted them when I died,, so thought I would beat her to the punch and give them to her now, along with my old jacket with all my patches... MAN !!! I am so excited,, I will send pics,,,, we HAVE to talk speed skating,, I was there.. I can tell you some GREAT stories of great times...
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #339
xlracer

I will have to get in touch with Tony. You and he will know some of the same people from back in your days. I skated in the 70's during the last days of wood and power racing. Send Racer an email and he can get you in touch with those guys.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #340
sprinter1956

Default My old skates

Here are a couple of pics of my skates.. I am excited to try to refurbish them now,, maybe even go a lap or two with these skinny old legs... lol Back in the day, John Drewrey called me GOLDEN LEGS... lol Ann Perales and John Drewrey are the God Parents to my daughter Kimberly... what great times we had..