S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old December 30th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #341
sprinter1956

Default pics

I have read all the faqs, and I still cant figure out how to up load the pics of my skates??
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5198651_s.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7303241_s.jpg

Last edited by sprinter1956; December 30th, 2009 at 05:06 AM. Reason: pics of my skates,,, I think
sprinter1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #342
scubask8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter1956 View Post
I have read all the faqs, and I still cant figure out how to up load the pics of my skates??
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._5198651_s.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._7303241_s.jpg
Pics are there if you follow the link ,but they are in the top left corner and are about 1" by 1 1/2".

Man they are seriously old school !
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #343
sprinter1956

Default new profile pic

my skate shoes
Shoes Ryedell by Redring.
Plates are Dart by Shurgrip.
Wheels, I can't remember, but they were split wood, very soft wood, they chipped easily. I liked them because they were wider and held the floor good with the wood floors and powder.

Last edited by sprinter1956; December 30th, 2009 at 07:08 AM. Reason: skate pic and info added
Old December 30th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #344
xlracer

Man it has been years since I have seen a Dart. Those wheels look like they could be some C&L's I will let Richard make that call. What year are those wheels from. Thats a real pair of speed skates. Thanks for sharing. Once you get the process of posting photos down, I would love to see a close up shot of those wheels.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #345
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:

hit reply to see my code. you already have a link that ends with .jpg. now you just need to hit the button with the sun and mountain, and paste in the link. you don't want the url tags, you want the img tags.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #346
JandKLarson

Donn Calvano coaches a team in Morristown, NJ. His contact info. is on their website, just scroll down the homepage a little and you'll see it on the left where is says "Contact Coach Donn Calvano...."

www.morristownracing.com
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:53 AM   #347
sprinter1956

well I tried again to upload pics for you.. Looks like it worked right this time,, thanks for the help. this is a close up pic of one of my wheels,, as asked for.. , I have a newspaper article with pics of me ( Bob Manseau ) Gerry Tarrant, Jimmy Morton and Gene Mann as the mens relay winners in the Southwestern Regionals and went on to the Nationals in Richmond VA in 1956

Last edited by sprinter1956; December 31st, 2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: pics
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:44 AM   #348
Racer

Quote:

well I tried again to upload pics for you.. Looks like it worked right this time,, thanks for the help. this is a close up pic of one of my wheels,, as asked for.. , I have a newspaper article with pics of me ( Bob Manseau ) Gerry Tarrant, Jimmy Morton and Gene Mann as the mens relay winners in the Southwestern Regionals and went on to the Nationals in Richmond VA in 1956
Hey there Bob:

Good to see you posting here on this great thread.

Took a look at your pictures. Have to say I never saw any of our Split Woods chip up like that wheel you display in the photo, we had good champhors on the Outside diameter, the Grooves and the Inner diameter, which helped retard chipping. All Split woods were branded "C&L SPLIT WOODS" made in U.S.A. on the outside walls of the wheels, if this wheel does not display that they are not C&L! I need a well focused close up picture of the top and both sides of the wheel to make a conclusive statement.

Enjoying our email exchanges, and hope you have been in contact with Perales by now.

Racer
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #349
Maria Orlando Mauro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
My name's Mike Kennedy from Long Island, NY. I was on the speed team with the unidentified kids in the photo. It's the Wal Cliffe Speed Team from Elmont, NY. Bobby Lee is seated in front of the rail. Left to right are Steve Mataix, Connie Magnus (Everett & Betty Magnus' daughter - Park Circle), Dean Mauro (Joey & Marie Mauro' son - coaches - won Freshman Boys that year I believe & placed in relays also), Ellen Lee, and Christina Santa Donato. The Wal Cliffe team had great success that year with several places in the Freshman individual & relay events.

I put an intro up on the artistic skating intro thread, as my parents, sisters & I were more involved in the artstic skating end of it.

I know there are several people here who will undoubtedly know my family - Donald & Lorraine Kennedy are my parents, and my sisters Maureen & Peggy.

I remember Richie (Splitwoods) from year's ago. Nothing like getting that fresh set from C & L. I also remember the experimental pink double split plastic wheels we used. Those were great.

When I found this site, I just wanted to join to tell everyone thanks for the many years of fun I had in skating, and I look forward to getting in touch with people I have missed through the years.

Mike
Hi Mike
I am so glad you wrote about the picture as I wanted to answer but I was having a problem getting on.
Yes I agree with you they were some of the best times of our life.
Im so sad to hear your Dad is gone he was young.
We are retired and celbrated Michele's wedding and our 50th Aniversay God I cant believe I just said that.
Its been forever since I thought of skating and spent a sleepless night trying to remember all the names You were a great help.
Thank you hope we can connect again.
Maria
Maria Orlando Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #350
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Orlando Mauro View Post
Hi Mike
I am so glad you wrote about the picture as I wanted to answer but I was having a problem getting on.
We are retired and celbrated Michele's wedding and our 50th Aniversay God I cant believe I just said that.
Its been forever since I thought of skating and spent a sleepless night trying to remember all the names You were a great help.
Maria
Hi Marie!

Good to see you posting here!

For those of you that do not know who she is, she is one of our great Sr Ladies National Speed Champions and a great Coach of Champions, along with her husband Joe Mauro who like his wife was also a National Int Mens Speed Champion and a great Coach.

Racer
Old February 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #351
Maria Orlando Mauro

Default Maria Orlando Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Hi Marie!

Good to see you posting here!

For those of you that do not know who she is, she is one of our great Sr Ladies National Speed Champions and a great Coach of Champions, along with her husband Joe Mauro who like his wife was also a National Int Mens Speed Champion and a great Coach.

Racer
Thank you for that kind description but you forgot the part that I am oldie and would love to exchange some stories with someone from the 50-60 Some many names hit my mind when I read your posting. Its pure joy that you brought this old gal. Pat Bergin, my childrens coach in Texas how is he I remember him and Tony Kissing coming over my house for dinner and we had a great visit.
How are they doing? Are they still involved.
Is there someone out there as old as me haha?
Maria Orlando Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #352
Racer

Quote:
Thank you for that kind description but you forgot the part that I am oldie and would love to exchange some stories with someone from the 50-60 Some many names hit my mind when I read your posting. Its pure joy that you brought this old gal. Pat Bergin, my childrens coach in Texas how is he I remember him and Tony Kissing coming over my house for dinner and we had a great visit.
How are they doing? Are they still involved.
Is there someone out there as old as me haha?
Hi Marie:

Older?? Tony is older than dirt, he posts on here every now and then will probably be along soon...he stays in touch with Pat, a few years ago I was on the way back to Houston from the Pinto World Championships in Tulsa, Ok on 45 South in my rig pulling my trailer, and Pat returned a call I had put into him.

We had a great discussion about the old days...I am far behind on having a visit with him, hope to do so before too long....

Racer
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #353
TrishHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes99 View Post
Here's another copy of the 1967 riverside NJ Roller Hockey Champs.
WOw ... this is a fun site...I skated pairs with Buddy Carter....
TrishHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:52 AM   #354
xlracer

Maria, you can find Pat Bergin on Facebook. The Couey Family is currently planning a big old speed skaters reunion. You can find Jeff Couey on facebook also and he can tell you who is planning to make the trip to atlanta.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #355
TONY KISSING

Default Maria & joe

Maria and joe mauro - great to know they are fine.
I'm guessing they are out of racing all together???
For sure my family and i are. Kathy did skate roller derby for a few years but had to retire last year(2009) to spend more time with her business and her two little girls. They go to catholic
school and play every sport they have for girls.
Bergin told me that there will be a reunion in texas i think in november!
Go to

uniquecustomcabintrey.com

to see kathy's business!
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #356
rhetttro
Owner, Pop's Skateland

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONY KISSING View Post
Bergin told me that there will be a reunion in texas i think in november!
"Generations on Wheels" 2010 - South Central Region RS Alumni REUNION!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php...23362661042585
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #357
TONY KISSING

Default Correction

I missed spelt kathy's business .

It's

uniquecustomcabinetry.com
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #358
mkmkenn

Quote:
Hi Mike
Maria
WOW! Hi Mrs. Mauro :-)

It's been a loooong time...Hope all's well with you & the family. When I saw the picture, I couldn't believe it. I knew everyone right away, but that's why I played Santa at all the club Christmas parties...I knew everyone :-)

No one in my family is involved in skating anymore at all. My sister Peggy did marry a "rink rat" from Carolier, but that's where it ended. I have a 14 yr old son & a 12 yr old daughter who have been skating once in their lives. My mom still receives Christmas cards from a lot of the oldtime artistic skaters.

It's great to hear from you! Those really were some great years at Wal-Cliffe. I learned a lot about speed skating, but I learned a whole lot more about life. Looking back, it was such a great experience because of you & your husband. We had a lot of great successes over those years, but I think the greatest was the success we had as a great group of young people. I thank you for that!

Congrats on the 50th anniversary...you married extremely young! Give my best to your husband, Joey, Dean & Michelle. It's because of you & your family that I have many great memories of those days; and I wouldn't trade it for anything...

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #359
mkmkenn

Julie, Racer...you guys still around here?

I kinda fell off the face of the earth for awhile...

New job, kids, you know how it goes.

Everything's fine, just living life :-)

Julie - who was your best man at your wedding? Kevin's realy partner? He from Kings Park NY? We met at the baseball field when he was coaching my son many years ago. I don't remember how it came up, but we figured out who each other was from all those years ago. We still see each other all around town now. I actually brought my old Wal-Cliffe jacket up to one of the games, and we had a few laughs.

Richie - my Mom's going strong, spending a few months each year out in Vegas, just living off the comps. She does hear from Chester once in awhile if there's a reunion or something happening.

I'm totally freaked out that Mrs. Mauro (I can't call her Maria) was here...that's right around the time I first became aware of you & DC & C&L. I read your post about the Eastern Speed league & all those names...and, damn, that's the glory days right there of my speed skating days...I was at Wal-Cliffe, we had BayShore up on Long Island & Levittown still had a speed team with Whitey Hand coaching.

Jersey had Kendall Park, Livingston with the King brothers, South Amboy had a few speed skaters still, Reading,PA had some speed skaters...who else...remember Dellwood? You ever go there? skating in a barn...but we did that a lot through the years. :-)

I'll try to check in here more often...

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #360
Racer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
Julie, Racer...you guys still around here?

I kinda fell off the face of the earth for awhile...

New job, kids, you know how it goes.

Everything's fine, just living life :-)

Julie - who was your best man at your wedding? Kevin's realy partner? He from Kings Park NY? We met at the baseball field when he was coaching my son many years ago. I don't remember how it came up, but we figured out who each other was from all those years ago. We still see each other all around town now. I actually brought my old Wal-Cliffe jacket up to one of the games, and we had a few laughs.

Richie - my Mom's going strong, spending a few months each year out in Vegas, just living off the comps. She does hear from Chester once in awhile if there's a reunion or something happening.

I'm totally freaked out that Mrs. Mauro (I can't call her Maria) was here...that's right around the time I first became aware of you & DC & C&L. I read your post about the Eastern Speed league & all those names...and, damn, that's the glory days right there of my speed skating days...I was at Wal-Cliffe, we had BayShore up on Long Island & Levittown still had a speed team with Whitey Hand coaching.

Jersey had Kendall Park, Livingston with the King brothers, South Amboy had a few speed skaters still, Reading,PA had some speed skaters...who else...remember Dellwood? You ever go there? skating in a barn...but we did that a lot through the years. :-)

I'll try to check in here more often...

Mike
Mike:

Good to see you back on the forum again.

Yeah, I remember all you have written about Mike, remember you are still a young'n......LOL

Yup hardly a rink in Jersey I did not visit, many times.......

You missed out racing at Prinz in Holyoak Del, on one end of the place if you fell you would end up in the fireplace, the other end you would slide into the bathroom and maybe end up in the you know what.....funny stuff....
last time I raced there was 1959!

Give my regards to your Mom.....

Found someone on an unrelated froum by accident that visited Warren Collozo down in Fla a year back, I am trying to get in touch with him to get Warren's contact info....

Stay in touch Mike...

Racer