S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old May 9th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #21
old fart

You'll get back there, get a running stroller and you'll be able to skate outside with the kid/s and work on getting back into shape or at least getting out of the house

Dave
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #22
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

I am lucky, one of the rinks I frequent has a "Strollers & Rollers" session during the daytime. I can skate while pushing my daughters stroller! How cool is that???

I have a treadmill that taunts me everyday, I skate at least twice a week, and I am about to start water aerobics & a traditional cardio workout. I am on my way back so lookout!
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #23
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsk8rgirl View Post
I am lucky, one of the rinks I frequent has a "Strollers & Rollers" session during the daytime. I can skate while pushing my daughters stroller! How cool is that???

I have a treadmill that taunts me everyday, I skate at least twice a week, and I am about to start water aerobics & a traditional cardio workout. I am on my way back so lookout!
That sounds awesome, Can't believe they have a strollers session... interesting though... Wish I could get my wife into skating, then we could do the family thing from time to time. She has halfway decent inline skates but I think her quads are likely housing a small insect community by now. she hasn't even looked at them in the last 8 years.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #24
racin jasin

I am in!!!! just talked to one of my old quad buddy and we want to race at nationals.like we use to when we were young.i found a boot now i need a plate.a boen would be nice but man it seems they are hard to come by...
racin jasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #25
splitwoods

To clear up some discussion on axle types for Quad Racing. Every once in a while I see the term "Clip" Axle Misused. When we were running our C&L Speed Skating Eqpt. Co 1970-75 out of New Brunswick, NJ, Donn Calvano and I introduced for the first time in the US some very unique Hardened Racing Axles, not heretofore seen in this market. We had 3 unique axles, none of which used traditional threads and axle nuts, all designd for a faster wheel change:

1. FLIP AXLES: This design featured a Flip Dog, which actuated a stainless spring and polished ball bearing, which housed in a drilled seat in the axle ends. This was our most popular design, I saw this axle years later on the Snyder racing plates.....the availability of this axle, along with PB Wheels, allowed the introduction and passage of a "Pit Area" at the end of the rink during relay events in the early 70's so that a racer could effect a wheel change during the race with a pit crew member waiting over the end rail with spares, thus the team could progress if they had a broken wheel, to the races conclusion.......

2. CLIP AXLES: Derived it's name from the "C" Clips used to retain the wheels. They sat in a milled groove on the axle ends. Unlike the Flip axles which did not require any tools to actuate, the clip axle called for a C Clip pliers to remove the clip!

3. ALLEN AXLES: The axle was drilled and taped, onto which a small flat washer and an allen screw were assembled to retain the wheels. An allen wrench was called for to remove and install the fastener.

Obviously using the term Clip for a Flip assembly is incorrect, although others that followed with their own production and marketing in later years called their products what they wished, but the original terminology we used is shown here.

Splitwoods
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #26
lilli

Default Albany Creek skataway has the skates you are looking for

I've recently gone back to skating on quads, I still have my old plates (boen specials) and my bont boots. If I didn't I wouldn't be skating, the newer stuff doesn't suit my style at all.

I needed to get some skates for my husband. When some Boens were listed on ebay recently I literally jumped for joy...until the auction price hit the roof, they sold for $600....we didn't get them!

Albany Creek Skateaway has the closest thing to Boen plates I could find, they can be contacted on 3325 1711. I spoke to Ben, he was very helpful. The plates they stock are called Ital, they have clip axels and no stoppers. They are on special for $195, but their rec retail is I think around $300, bargain! They also stock Moonraker and other boots. They stock speedmate plates and zinger wheels too, which brought back the memories because thats what I had when I first started speed skating

I bought my husband a set up with Sprint boots, Ital plates, el cheapo bearings and wheels and inc postage it was around $400. They arrive next week so he hasn't had a chance to skate with them yet.

Good luck with your skating it's great to hear of others skating on quads
lilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #27
merlin
Caribbean Speed Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilli View Post
When some Boens were listed on ebay recently I literally jumped for joy...until the auction price hit the roof, they sold for $600....we didn't get them!
I picked up a set of skates at a garage sale a while ago; I paid $35, and all I wanted was the Boen Special plates...I gave the rest away!!
Old October 13th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #28
lilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin View Post
I picked up a set of skates at a garage sale a while ago; I paid $35, and all I wanted was the Boen Special plates...I gave the rest away!!
My friend's mum sold his skates with fanjets and boens at a garage sale for $10!!!!Sometimes I go to the op shops hoping to find a bargain but it's yet to happen. Knowing that other people stike gold gives me hope i'll strike it lucky one day. Maybe try trash and treasure or the markets...
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #29
lilli

Default New Australian style quad speed skates

The skates arrived and they are great, thankyou Skateaway in Albany Creek. Ital plates are slightly heavier than boens because the aluminium plate that bolts to the boot is thicker by maybe 1mm. They are exactly like an older boen model that had a more squarish shape. In fact the shape of this plate is a bit nicer than my boens because the flat piece of the plate is hourglass shaped and boens are rectangular. They feel really nice underfoot.
The sprint boots are similar to moonrakers but a little cheaper. We're going to look for some custom boots in the future.
The wheels are just cheapies, we're giving them to our daughter who likes pink. Damian is having my hyper raves and I'm going to get some newbies.
The mounting we'll leave as it is until damian is seady on his feet then he's going to shift them forward a little like my skates. I'm not going to enter the discussion about how Australians mount their plates except to say that this is the style we use, and it works well!
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #30
xlracer

That is one nice outdoor setup! Do you also skate indoors on that type of set up? Racing indoors on 100 meter track in USA, almost everyone used toe stops.
xlracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #31
lilli

I don't have a clue about quad skating outdoors, the opportunity to try it never came up, the club I skated with were based at the rink. I'm training outdoors on inlines though. But to answer your question, yes this is the type of setup everyone used to use for skating at the rink. What is an outdoor set up like? The few times I did try rolling around outside it was horrible, tickled my feet!

I last skated in 1992 and we didn't have much to choose from. Most people had speedmate, galaxy or boen plates, labeda turbo or zinger wheels and panther(altamura) or bont boots which were always low cut. Some kids would use football boots. Nobody had toe stops and our plates were set forward, so I have a preference for a set up like that because it suits my skating style. From reading some posts it appears this fashion is unique to Australia.

Since I've started skating on quads again there are a lot of American brands available locally that we couldn't get before, like riedell and careera. American style speed skates or jam skates don't fit with what people who used to skate in Australia would consider 'speed skates'. It's not so much because times have changed, it's just a different style.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #32
splitwoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
Welcom back...

I used top use NATS (not a toe stop) when I had Laser plates back in the mid 80's. These mounted to your trucks, and allowed you run more naturally, on the balls of your feet. They also took some getting used to.

I have also used Grabber toe stops on the metal and aluminum plates I used when I speed skated on quads. It was much easier to get up to speed on quads with toe stops than without.
Chuck:

Thanks for the kudo on the "GRABBER RACING STOPS"...we stayed up late many nights designing that baby and bringing them to the market, the world's first Quad racing toe stops way back in 1970! Any stops used prior to that year were simply Jump stops used for the purpose of start assist. No racing design functionality to them at all.

We started from scratch, angles, shape, composition all went into the mix...R&D and a lot of testing while we tweaked the final design. C&L, exclusive manufacturer and distributor from 1970-75 had an unequaled success story with the GRABBERS....I had stopped in a rink here in Houston a few years ago and noticed them still selling at the Pro shop, 35 years after birth!!!

Makes an old wheel maker proud.....

I witnessed a lot of poorly made knockoffs trying to improve on our basic design, however I do not believe they held a candle to the original, and I am not just saying that because I had a hand in the launch, I tested the others and did not feel they had all the performance characteristics of the original Grabber, just my HO! I wish I had a quarter for every pair sold thru the years!!!!

PS Tracy.......many teams in Europe used toe stops indoors on their quads skates, not all, but the US did not have an exclusive lock on toe stops......

Splitwoods

Last edited by splitwoods; October 19th, 2007 at 09:36 AM.
splitwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #33
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

I've got those same Italskate plates on my CH20s. I've skated with them for about 3 years, and have finally decided they are just a tad too heavy. And I'd like to go back to a single action as well. But boens are impossible to find (it seems) so I'll probably be going with the Galaxy plates. That's the only other pair of Ital's I've seen around though, very nice.

Anyone need a pair? *grin*

Gle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #34
d.phillips1970
I'm a Purist

Why don't you just have them lightened. Take them to a machine shop and have some metal removed?
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #35
Gle8
I'm Contrary. Moo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.phillips1970 View Post
Why don't you just have them lightened. Take them to a machine shop and have some metal removed?
Because recent developements (i.e. Doc Sk8) have made me aware that not only is my boot itself too big, but the plate is as well. So I'll be switching to a completely different setup.
Gle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:40 AM   #36
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippykesh View Post
ok firstly my older skates were moonrakers, cant remember the plates but they used clips not nuts, everything is nuts these days my last set of skates b4 stopping were a set of bont boots and some awesome light plates, cant remember the brand was a long time ago with clip axels not nuts, hard wheels with aluminim inserts, Ive found similair wheels but as for the plates and boots no luck
Steve-

You can still get Moonrakers. There's a guy in Australia who sells them new on eBay for around $200. You should be able to find a pair in your size.

You can get flip axles at www.conniesskateplace.com, and I'm sure others can get them also.

Just a guess, here, but if you were wearing Moonrakers, they were likely on Boen plates. Those are harder to come by.

Not all the new stuff is crap. There are many good current options, and finding one to fit your skating style shouldn't be tough.

Roll Line is the hot ticket these days, and many skaters swear by them. You can get an entry-level model for about $160 that by all accounts skates just as good as the really expensive ones. Powerdyne Reactors are generally well thought of. You can still get Lasers if you want a real old-school nylon plate. Doc Sk8 has some NOS Satellites, and Low Price Skates was listing some old stock Ultimate III and Labeda Prolines, but I can't imagine a lot of size selection assuming they really have any at all. Heck, Sure Grip still makes the venerable XK4 if you're into skating on bricks.

I'm sure you can find a setup that suits you. Welcome back!!
dvw is offline   Reply With Quote