S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old June 28th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #1
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default speed wheels?

I need to pick a speed wheel thats fast for the skatepark. I ride ultra smooth surfaces, but still need to be able to roll on the sidewalk short distances.

The ramps are made of this slippery rubber material. When I spin on them, sometimes my wheels now stick. I have aerobics 85a right now. I want them to slide, but be able to jump and land without slippling. I was thinking radar zodiacs. I ride a freestyle wheel, panthers indoors and they are perfect for me. So thought a bigger wheel just a touch softer might do.

I was also considering radar demons since I can get some cheap. 95a. Would these be slippery since I'm really light? How do the different priced wheels compare? Do the more expensive ones last longer? Handle better? The speed grove, what does that do? Will that make it stick? Wide better or narrow? I want stable, but be able to spin on the ramps during transition when I'm on top.

Any advice on this?
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #2
roller_dudette
skate addict!

How about radar tuners? They have tight ones! Anyone have these?
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #3
LaurieFlood

RD,

I noticed that the skateboard sites give a bunch of information on the wheels that stick and the wheels that grip. Some of the sites get very specific.

Oh,yeah. Nice avatar, BTW. I keep trying to get a picture of the jack rabbit bunny that is hanging out around my property, Jack the Bunny, but he comes around so late, it is hard to get a picture of him in the low light with a fast enough shutter speed. I'll keep trying, though. He's really cute.
LaurieFlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4
PowerSnatch
Roller Derby Queen

I find radar tuners to be a bit hard, but I'm skating on slick concrete and like more grip.

I would go with a fugitive wheel because it can hold up to some sidewalk skating.
New Orleans, Louisiana
PowerSnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #5
HVSkater

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
I was also considering radar demons since I can get some cheap. 95a. Would these be slippery since I'm really light?
Demons are very fast wheels, but I think you'd find them too slippery for you most of the time. I have a set and they are a really hard, low-grip wheel. I think they are okay for stickier surfaces like rink floors and maybe the material that you are talking about in the skate park, but for anything else like cement, tile, or asphalt, Demons are all over the place. At least they are for me.

I have a set of Flat Outs that I really like. They are sort of medium grip and pretty firm (88A). They are way faster than my 78A outdoor wheels and much less sticky feeling--yet they grip pretty well. I think they are a good trade-off between speed, hardness, and grippiness.

Last edited by HVSkater; June 29th, 2007 at 02:31 AM.
HVSkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #6
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I need a serious hard wheel I think! Today at the park going on the ramps, my wheels felt like I was skating on masking tape. Really tacky. Thats not good for ramps because I need to jump the transitions or roll around and go fast to get to the top. I just started pumping the ramps and working the 85a wheels is really hard!

I'm thinking the zodiacs or radar tuners tite. So it would be around 93a. I was thinking 95a but that might be too much for now I'm thinking.

Any other ideas? I dont want to drop $100 on a wheel now because later I might want 98a like the skateboarders use for ramps. The only time I go on sidewalks is to the next building next door for water. I just got a liter mini cooler so hopefully I wont need to do that.

I just want to have wheels that glide, not stick. Its actually dangerous if they stick cause they you fall! I hope to decide this soon, like the next day or two! I really want to get up those ramps now!!!
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I might go 95-96a now! I was told that for ramps, I want something that feels a bit like ice indoors.

Anyway, thinking about witch Drs., radar tuners and zodiacs now. Any opinions in general on these wheels? I might go with the zodiacs since they are the same width as skateboard wheels and would turn easier I guesss. I hope to make a decision today!!
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #8
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

why not go with a skateboard wheel? They're made more for the application you're talking about?

Something like this:

http://www.powell-peralta.com/products/wheels.html
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Mystic
SWM So Cal

The Radar Flat Outs are the only thing I know that's designed for what your discribing.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #10
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I WOULD do skateboard wheels but I have reg. trucks on now and I dont have wide enough axels for them. Later when I know I can put a wider axel in it without flattening out my threads (this was happening last night lol) I will.

The flat outs are too soft though. The boarders use 98-99a, and most roller skaters use the same for the ramps. So I need a harder wheel. I spoke to some other ramp skaters and was told that I should go with what feels like ice indoors, that will be perfect for the ramps so its going to be 95-96a for me! Now I just need to find a wheel with decent grip and one that spins/handles well and wont fall apart lol.
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #11
Gero

Hello Dudette,

isn't there the possibility for you to ask the others at ther ramps to try their wheels for some minutes to get a feeling for them? I believe that would be the easiest way to get a feeling for the wheels in the ramps.

Cheers

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #12
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gero View Post
Hello Dudette,

isn't there the possibility for you to ask the others at ther ramps to try their wheels for some minutes to get a feeling for them? I believe that would be the easiest way to get a feeling for the wheels in the ramps.

Cheers

Gero
Well, I would love that idea if only I knew of another outdoor roller skater somewhere within reason lol! Really, I actually in my entire life NEVER seen another roller skater outdoors, never!

But if you watch this video, you will understand why I need a hard wheel. If he had any tack, he would really hurt himself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsFgpyIzsVs

Well, ordering soon I hope. I might just have to guess........
Old June 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #13
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I may be in luck! Seems like I can take my trucks off my marathon plates and put them on my probe plates and those WILL take skateboard wheels. Hum.......powell bones might be it! Let me know of recommendations or if some are wider then others at the axel, etc.

Just wondering, are BSB bearings really bad? I have some abec 5s I could use for now.
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:04 AM   #14
roller_dudette
skate addict!

I think I will go with Witch Drs.

http://www.skatebuys.com/witchdoctor...hannelid=BIZRA

Any opinions/experience with those? Turning, durability, etc?
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:26 AM   #15
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Skating for Dummies

Quote:
I think I will go with Witch Drs.

http://www.skatebuys.com/witchdoctor...hannelid=BIZRA

Any opinions/experience with those? Turning, durability, etc?
RD, I really appreciate all of the inquisitiveness you bring to the forum. You are asking all of the questions lingering in many of our minds.

I suggest you take copious note on all you've learned, and when you get the time, how about writing the manual for the rest of us.
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:03 AM   #16
brikkee

RD i was looking at these my self for outdoor but theres not to much info on them or people that use them.
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/omquskwhsof8.html
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:40 PM   #17
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
RD i was looking at these my self for outdoor but theres not to much info on them or people that use them.
http://www.conniesskateplace.com/omquskwhsof8.html
Well, was going for a less expensive wheel tho. I dont want a wide wheel when I get wide trucks! So they wide wheel would just be for a few months. But I think I'll stick with the zodiacs. Too much of a wheel would make spinning hard and would be too much grip I think. Then I can keep those for the wide trucks too! I might get roller bones later though when I get them or get hopefully get them to accept skateboard wheels.

Do the zodiacs last a long time? How wide are they exactly? All the sites say something different lol.
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #18
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
RD, I really appreciate all of the inquisitiveness you bring to the forum. You are asking all of the questions lingering in many of our minds.

I suggest you take copious note on all you've learned, and when you get the time, how about writing the manual for the rest of us.
Hey, do I get paid, then SURE! I'll work extra hours with THAT job. Just remember, I need free equipment to test out to make sure I understand it all and can also give good recommendations lol.

Let me know when I can start!!
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:12 PM   #19
brikkee

Quote:
Well, was going for a less expensive wheel tho. I dont want a wide wheel when I get wide trucks! So they wide wheel would just be for a few months. But I think I'll stick with the zodiacs. Too much of a wheel would make spinning hard and would be too much grip I think. Then I can keep those for the wide trucks too! I might get roller bones later though when I get them or get hopefully get them to accept skateboard wheels.

Do the zodiacs last a long time? How wide are they exactly? All the sites say something different lol.
haha yes they do but i can tell you there 1/2 inch smaller than 40mm and 1/2 inch bigger than 30mm and i love my zodiacs. i have had mine for about 5-6 mouths now and i skate on them about 3-4 times a week3-4 hours at a time and there getting a little warn but still good for a few more mouths.I also have 2 sets i like them so much i ended up getting a set for my wife.They are 35mm wide and made for indoor floors where matters are made smooth cement outside courts and softer. i'm also sure you can get them cheeper but i just posted the wheel so you can look at it
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:18 PM   #20
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
haha yes they do but i can tell you there 1/2 inch smaller than 40mm and 1/2 inch bigger than 30mm and i love my zodiacs. i have had mine for about 5-6 mouths now and i skate on them about 3-4 times a week3-4 hours at a time and there getting a little warn but still good for a few more mouths.I also have 2 sets i like them so much i ended up getting a set for my wife.They are 35mm wide and made for indoor floors where matters are made smooth cement outside courts and softer
OK, they are then PERFECT! I wanted something wider but I was looking at the speed wheels they had at the rink and they were a lot of wheel! I thought they would grip too much since I like to slide a bit on the ramps. My panthers, 95a, have TONS of grip but I could do a hockey slide on them. And they went over the bumps OK enough to go onto the carpet and all. So it seemed like a good tightness although when I get better, if I think the roller bones would slide great with the wide trucks!

OK, cool, I'm happy, decision MADE!!!!

I just hate spending tons of money if it aint right. Those will turn well. COOL!