S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 17th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #1
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default speed boots, really need help!

OK, I'm very frustrated with these hockey boots. I'm trying to carve on the ramps and they are so wide and bulky that my feet actually slide in the boot. Not in the center but my toes and heels really move. I'm so used to the 297 art boots the fit my foot like a glove and give it support while allowing me to move. Wherever I put my foot, the skate goes EXACTLY where I want it to go. THese boots are rigid but since I'm moving all around and they dont cradle my feet, they do NOT support my feet well. And for bending, they restrict my movements.

I have narrow feet but a wider toe box. So even the 297s kinda rub my little toe and I had to get them stretched. I want a lot of foot support but lots of mobility for my ankles to bend and move. I dont want a below the ankle jam boot though, needs to support my foot well. I want something that wont fall apart either.

So these are my choices. I dont think the carrera will work. Its rigid and wouldnt conform to my abnormal feet lol. I think I need to give up on the cheapos.

I was thinking 265, 125, 595 or 695. I'm leaning towards 265 since those are supposed to be supportive. I heard they run wide though????

I think I would like a touch of heel although on ramps this isnt necessarily good. Any help, thoughts, ebay possibilities? I'm hitting up on an emergency early birthday present lol, so it cant be too expensive. Otherwise I'll have to wait til Christmas and I live to skate and skate outside mostly now.

OK, lesson #1, if you love to skate like I do and do real stuff on your skates, get a GOOD fitting boot! Be more anal about it then me and I'm awfully anal. If youre lucky to have gifted feet, so be it. But movement in the boot is really making me mad. I now have about 9-10 mm of insoles in my feet, crazy or what?! Gosh, I love to skate but my boots are miserable.
roller_dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller_dudette View Post
OK, I'm very frustrated with these hockey boots. I'm trying to carve on the ramps and they are so wide and bulky that my feet actually slide in the boot. Not in the center but my toes and heels really move. I'm so used to the 297 art boots the fit my foot like a glove and give it support while allowing me to move. Wherever I put my foot, the skate goes EXACTLY where I want it to go. THese boots are rigid but since I'm moving all around and they dont cradle my feet, they do NOT support my feet well. And for bending, they restrict my movements.

I have narrow feet but a wider toe box. So even the 297s kinda rub my little toe and I had to get them stretched. I want a lot of foot support but lots of mobility for my ankles to bend and move. I dont want a below the ankle jam boot though, needs to support my foot well. I want something that wont fall apart either.

So these are my choices. I dont think the carrera will work. Its rigid and wouldnt conform to my abnormal feet lol. I think I need to give up on the cheapos.

I was thinking 265, 125, 595 or 695. I'm leaning towards 265 since those are supposed to be supportive. I heard they run wide though????

I think I would like a touch of heel although on ramps this isnt necessarily good. Any help, thoughts, ebay possibilities? I'm hitting up on an emergency early birthday present lol, so it cant be too expensive. Otherwise I'll have to wait til Christmas and I live to skate and skate outside mostly now.

OK, lesson #1, if you love to skate like I do and do real stuff on your skates, get a GOOD fitting boot! Be more anal about it then me and I'm awfully anal. If youre lucky to have gifted feet, so be it. But movement in the boot is really making me mad. I now have about 9-10 mm of insoles in my feet, crazy or what?! Gosh, I love to skate but my boots are miserable.
you should probably try to order a boot with a more narrow heel, i think that will help. call your friend at rollergirl or whichever one she is lol.
Old July 17th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #3
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, I emailed her and havent heard anything. But my brother is going to buy my laptop off of me so I can get some better boots and money to make ends meet in case I'm unemployed. So no more mistakes cause all I have left are my skates and my car. Man oh man. Someone email me the lottery number lol.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:11 AM   #4
rwsz

Quote:
Well, I emailed her and havent heard anything. But my brother is going to buy my laptop off of me so I can get some better boots and money to make ends meet in case I'm unemployed. So no more mistakes cause all I have left are my skates and my car. Man oh man. Someone email me the lottery number lol.
well you need luck and a good job search from the sounds of things. dont want to see you out on the streets. maybe a boot isnt what you need now as you have plenty already. be positive and you will be ok. plus your educated so it isnt like you have only a high school education or less.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

I am biased toward the 695. The strap across the top of the boot gives some support. However, they do cost a little bit more, and they aren't the most available boot on the market. I waited several months for mine to be made and they were just a size 11, nothing special.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #6
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
I am biased toward the 695. The strap across the top of the boot gives some support. However, they do cost a little bit more, and they aren't the most available boot on the market. I waited several months for mine to be made and they were just a size 11, nothing special.
Is there any difference in fit to the 265? I know the 125 has less support so thats why I'm thinking that wont be best. From what I've read, the 265 is similar to the 695. But I think the 265 may be wider? All I want is the freakin boot to fit!! If it fits and gives my foot support, has mobility which all of those boots will, I'll be happy and will then put an end to my search forever and ever lol. I actually DO NOT like buying new boots. But I dislike even more a boot where my foots moving all over the place and doesnt give me the support I need. One day I think I would hurt myself because of it. There is a concrete bowl near where I live, free, so I definitely need a supportive boot with mobility. I'm really concerned I will hurt myself with my current boots skating on vertical angles.
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default sizing?

I also saw this on sizing

http://www.conniesskateplace.com/riedellskates.html

My foot with socks, end of day flat is 9 3/16 inches. Other charts say this is a size 5 exactly, this says 5 1/2. My 297 are a 5 but are very snug so I can only wear thin socks. But indoors your feet dont swell like out in the heat and its on even ground. So would a 5 1/2 be good? For these boots with the lacing to the toe, would that accomodate any foot width issues for the most part? Talking on the narrow range here, not too wide.
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM   #8
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Sorry, I can't give you a perfect answer, but...

My 297 is a size 11 and my 695 is a size 11. The 297 fits tight in the toes and where the 695 fits just about perfectly.

Your problem would be that your 297 is probably sized in womens sizes, and speed boots are typically available in mens sizes only. Make sure to find out if the sizing in the speed boots if mens or womens.

......I think I just complicated things even more.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #9
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Well, my 297s are actually mens boots. There isnt length room either. My foot length is the same length at the insole measurement. I think I could run into problems outside going on steep slopes if there is no room on the end. Especially with the high heat.

But I wish I knew the differences in fitting. I'd rather have a boot that fits my foot well then anything else. I seem to have serious bad luck with this!
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #10
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Default contacted riedell!

They told me the 265 and 695 are both the same last and a similar fit as my 297 boots which fit really well. They said the 265 may be a bit tighter due to the padding but its all the same last. And he said the 265 and 695 have the same support. So I'll think I'll go for the cheapier thicker boot! Any more posts on this topic still welcomed.
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #11
rwsz

Quote:
Well, my 297s are actually mens boots. There isnt length room either. My foot length is the same length at the insole measurement. I think I could run into problems outside going on steep slopes if there is no room on the end. Especially with the high heat.

But I wish I knew the differences in fitting. I'd rather have a boot that fits my foot well then anything else. I seem to have serious bad luck with this!
you need a combination fit,,,which is like maybe a aa front and a aaa heel, that usually corrects it and you need a ladies boot.
Old July 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #12
roller_dudette
skate addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
you need a combination fit,,,which is like maybe a aa front and a aaa heel, that usually corrects it and you need a ladies boot.
With the 297 in mens, it fit fine except my little toe was squished. So I got them stretched. I guess for ladies it would fit only if I got a wider toebox. But that is $$ which is hard to come by for me lol. I think the speedboots are slightly wider but they also lace down to the toe. Maybe a narrower heel would be good but thats more $$. Slightly wider means just add one insole. ONE is OK ,THREE is insane!! Right now my foot moves like crazy. Almost perfect is OK until I run into dough. I think the lacing can make up for slight imperfections, I hope. And then again when I read posts on customed built boots which arent exchangeable and come out totally wrong, much worse then the original boot. I cant afford to gamble like that.

I think since the padding is mostly at the heel/ankle, the 265 might work perfectly for me.
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Gero

Hey RD, I am currently also looking for new complete skates, not the cheapest ones, not the expensive ones, but long lasting and with aluminium plate PowerDyne? because of my weight of 200lbs.

I am also deep in this and now have as well the Riedell 295 and Riedell 125 in mind. I never had padded boots like the 295 is, does anyone swores on padded or unpadded ones because of what reasons?

Would love to get some responses or proposals on this!

Cheers

Gero
and skate like nobody's watching.
Gero is offline   Reply With Quote