S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old December 11th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1
fierocious1

Default Aluminum Kingpins

Looking for the Longest 3/8" kingpins made to install in my newer set of plates. I need dimensions and specs if I can get them as well. What have you got Doc?
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Looking for the Longest 3/8" kingpins made to install in my newer set of plates. I need dimensions and specs if I can get them as well. What have you got Doc?
Can ya be a bit more specific?? How long, what thread/s??
Old December 11th, 2017, 10:40 PM   #3
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Can ya be a bit more specific?? How long, what thread/s??
as long or longer than SGs reverse kingpin. As long as it is not British Standard Fine.. I can tap to fine or coarse going into the plate. Regular nuts or aluminum nuts that go with the KP. So if you have a KP with al lock nut that is longer, I can tap the plate to it. I'm thinking that there are some production KP/nut sets out there that have to be longer than the SGs.
Old December 12th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default C'mon man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
as long or longer than SGs reverse kingpin. As long as it is not British Standard Fine.. I can tap to fine or coarse going into the plate. Regular nuts or aluminum nuts that go with the KP. So if you have a KP with al lock nut that is longer, I can tap the plate to it. I'm thinking that there are some production KP/nut sets out there that have to be longer than the SGs.
SG makes 3 or 4 different king pins not counting Harry's Studs. Give me a measurement.
Old December 16th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #5
fierocious1

Quote:
SG makes 3 or 4 different king pins not counting Harry's Studs. Give me a measurement.
Sorry so late in replying. I need 2 inches of KP out of the plate itself. This plus what is in the plate, app. .600 or more. Anything out there like that? I guess I could cut my own if not, do you know what material grade that is used in other production KPs?
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:37 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default OK now we are getting somewhere.

Snyder makes some aluminum king pins, that are most likely long enough for your need. The light click figure pins are most likely where you would need to be size wise....

Now food for thought. The best aluminum king pins (Pro Line, Power Trac, Reactor, Revenge etc) are all 1/2 - 20 threaded and the pins are all tapered from ~ 3/8 (or metric equivalent) to 1/2" where they anchor in to the plate. Yeah there are straight 3/8 aluminum king pins out there but none of them are really strong enough for the way you sk8 in my book.

I'm sure that is not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

Old December 21st, 2017, 12:23 PM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:
Snyder makes some aluminum king pins, that are most likely long enough for your need. The light click figure pins are most likely where you would need to be size wise....

Now food for thought. The best aluminum king pins (Pro Line, Power Trac, Reactor, Revenge etc) are all 1/2 - 20 threaded and the pins are all tapered from ~ 3/8 (or metric equivalent) to 1/2" where they anchor in to the plate. Yeah there are straight 3/8 aluminum king pins out there but none of them are really strong enough for the way you sk8 in my book.

I'm sure that is not what you wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

The 1/2" size in the plate is detrimental to my build... OH well. Trying to lower frame weight a bunch without going wider on dimensions. Still researching. Thanks Doc.