S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 10th, 2018, 09:57 PM   #1
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Default Solaris boot question

Howdy Doc, hope all is well.
I recently picked up a pair of Solaris boots and t nut mounted them to my XK-4 S/A plates.
Mounting went fine, centered perfectly.
Skated them, they skate pretty well but compared to my 265 / XK-4's I feel like I am back on my heels (both skates have size 8 plates in identical locations fore/aft on the boots).
Now my 265's have about a 3/8" heel to them where the Solaris is a flat soled boot.
Am I too far off base saying the flat sole makes me feel "on my heels"?
I typically have a forward, deeply bent knee skating style but in the Solaris this stance feels much more difficult to get / stay in.
Would it be worth trying a 3/8" heel riser between the boot and plate?
Will such a riser be detrimental to the boot if I do?

Thanks in advance.
Old February 11th, 2018, 07:27 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
Howdy Doc, hope all is well.

Been better. Touck of a bug and my old joints are not happy w/ this weather.. Other than that I'm OK.. and you??

I recently picked up a pair of Solaris boots and t nut mounted them to my XK-4 S/A plates.

OK...

Mounting went fine, centered perfectly.

OK....

Skated them, they skate pretty well but compared to my 265 / XK-4's I feel like I am back on my heels (both skates have size 8 plates in identical locations fore/aft on the boots).
Now my 265's have about a 3/8" heel to them where the Solaris is a flat soled boot.
Am I too far off base saying the flat sole makes me feel "on my heels"?

Not @ all. In fact that is exactly what is going on.

I typically have a forward, deeply bent knee skating style but in the Solaris this stance feels much more difficult to get / stay in.

Yessir, they are not your old sk8s.

Would it be worth trying a 3/8" heel riser between the boot and plate?

Would be easier to leave the old sk8s @ home and just use the new ones. Lots of sk8rs I have known over the years kept their bail out pair (old sk8s) handy while trying out the new ones. Usually keeps them from ever sorting out the new ones because they keep switching back. .

Will such a riser be detrimental to the boot if I do?

I would not think so.

Thanks in advance.
My 2 cents... But to be honest, I would sk8 the Solaris exclusively for a while, then knock the heels off the 265s. Once ya do that you can start going with shorter plates.

Good luck, really it is not that hard to sort out. I have put more high top sk8rs on speed sk8rs than I can remember. No one burt into flames...although a few had balance issues for a bit.
Old February 12th, 2018, 01:08 AM   #3
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Only downside I've noticed is no-heel/Flat sole boot styles require a bit more dorsiflexion than heeled boots. If you're good on ankle range of motion a short adjustment as Doc said will work