S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 21st, 2018, 01:06 AM   #1
AZSHOT

Default Foot pain caused by flexible plates?

Hi Doc,
Still loving the Snyder Royal plates you put on my old 295 boots. But after a half a year of using them weekly, I'm starting to develop foot pain. It is at the ball of the foot, behind the toes. It starts after about an hour. If I take them off for 15 min, it gives me another 30 min of skating before the pain comes back. The strange thing is it's usually one foot, but it varies between the two! I do skate fast, and do speed skate at the end of the night. But by then the pain is burning.

I've tried green neoprene insoles, and some white standard ones. These boots are tight, my toes are at the very end.

I've progressed to the second softest cushions on the trucks. I use them just snugged down. I'm just guessing here - could the super wobbly trucks be causing foot pain? I'm 54 years old, in good shape.

The times I've gone back to more stiff plates on other boots, XK-4s, the pain doesn't come on at all, or much less. I'm just guessing that my toes are gripping when I'm in a super loose plate. Any other ideas.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:30 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default If your toes are gripping

It's a good chance the boots are too big.

Could also be the Tee nut. Every once in a while I find a sk8r that needs that nut recessed into the boot a bit deeper.

You could also be needing even softer cushions. If you have to put any kind of real push into the sole of the boot to get it to turn, that can cause a problem.
Old August 9th, 2018, 02:23 PM   #3
AZSHOT

Just getting back to this forum. It's not the boot being loose, it's quite snug, almost no toe room other than a hair. I lace up loose, then as the leather warms up, tighten a little more. Use laces that have a little bit of stretch.

On the T nut, you mean the plate mounting bolts? If you mean the "head" inside the boot, at the sole, they seem recessed fine.

I'm using yellow cushions all around, and the kingpin nut just snugged down.

I've started taking my skates off after about 1.5 hours, for about 10 min. The pain goes away, and I can put them back on for the speed skate and another hour. When I wear other skates with less flexible trucks, not much pain.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Lemme tell ya a story...

When I got into sk8ing @ 47 years old, I sk8ed every Friday night, Saturday morning and Evening. Did not matter what sk8s I had on, my legs hurt. Took over year to get through it. Then one day I'm rolling along and noticed the pain was gone and it has never come back. Oh I'm 66 now. YMMV.

If you think the action is the issue, try this: purple barrels and blue cones. Unfortunately, the yellow SG Supers have not been real true to the design point of 78A. I have found that by going with the purple barrels and blue cones one gets essentially the action of the yellows but better push from the purple barrel. Of course that is assuming the yellows are in spec.

Sorry Tee nuts are something I use to mount sk8s with. There are no nuts or broke off mount screws w/ a tee nut mount.

Anyway, what you description of sk8 rest sk8 tells me is it may be you using muscles you have not used much before. Shoot me a PM This may take more than some forum chit chat to solve.