S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM   #1
Tuesday Girl

Default My plywood practice "floor"!

Since I realized I WAS making slight marks on my hardwood floor finish, I got a piece of plywood from one of the kids' bunk beds in storage and dragged it up to our bedroom and put it down on the carpet in front of the mirrored armoir! I've been practicing my toe skating, spread eagles out to the side on the back wheels, little toe spins, dance steps, etc. My husband is about to go nuts with the clomping in the house, so I'm trying to get in 1/2 hour, hour here and there when he's not around!

Well, it paid off tonight at the rink! One of my buddies was skating around slowly, watching me and he said, "You've got too much time on your hands!" When I told him what I had been doing this past week he said, "I thought so...you weren't skating like that last week!"

I think I need to get a smoother type of material though...the plywood is too grainy and slower. Took me a few minutes to adjust to the slickness of the floor tonight. Now if I can just get my husband to look the other way at that ugly piece of plywood up against the wall when I'm not using it, in our pretty bedroom! You know, if it was his plywood, I'd be having a fit!
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:21 PM   #2
ncsk8rgirl
Discovered SEDS on 1/1/08

lol....just get hubby to build an addition complete with rink quality floor!
Old June 1st, 2008, 12:43 AM   #3
Chitown Sk8r
Inline? Quad? Whatcha got

Default So it can work!

Hey Tuesday,
I've wondered if a piece of plywood would be enough area to actually do anything on.
Thanks for writing about your experience!
I can see plywood popping up in our garage, the living room, the bathroom...
Old June 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM   #4
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS

I use a sheet of plexiglass in the winter time as I have nowhere to skate with the snow on the ground. You can at least work on footwork and keep from getting totally rusty in the spring.

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Sk8r View Post
Hey Tuesday,
I've wondered if a piece of plywood would be enough area to actually do anything on.
Thanks for writing about your experience!
I can see plywood popping up in our garage, the living room, the bathroom...
I'm so glad my story was useful! Yes, get a piece of something to skate on in the house! I am going to go check out different materials at Mennards or somewhere and see what would be a smoother surface than plywood.

My current piece is even actually a bit smaller than 4 x 8 because it was cut down to fit a twin size bunk bed! So a true 4 x 8 would be even better. It's really helped me with precision and balance since I don't have liberal room to use for balance. Obviously, you can't do all dance sequences if the steps are spread out over more space, but I'm really getting in some good practice with what I have! If you need forward space you skate the board lengthwise...if you need more space to the sides, you turn on the board and go the length that way!

This morning I was practicing the moon-walk, and another step a guy at the rink was teaching us the night before. It's enough room to practice toe shuffling, heel spread eagles, spins, some of Richard Humphrey's dance step moves, most of the moves from that Missiles French roller dance video that is on skatelog (I work on a lot of those steps) etc. I use my iPod for timing as well! If you have a mirror somewhere in the house...awesome...then you can check out your form and what needs work....something usually not available at a rink!

This has been such a good work-out for me this past week. I am wringing wet from sweat when I get finished. Try it! And you are right... it's portable.
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM   #6
cliff

Default lauan (pronounced "lu - awn")

Lauan plywood is smoother than regular. It's a quarter of an inch thick and expensive. It is the underlayment on tiled floors.

If you are an ecological activist, however, consider:
http://www.rainforestrelief.org/What...t/Plywood.html

Anyway, You've got me thinking of building my own outdoor skating platform: 8 foot square, two pieces of lauan, two pieces of 3/4-inch ordinary plywood underneath, two-by-fours or two-by-sixes.

But when it rains?
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Tuesday Girl

At first I tried finding a level spot in our back yard to put the plywood on. We have a crappy lawn that we haven't fixed up yet and would you believe there was not one level spot that I didn't roll off of?

If you built something bigger than 4 x 8 it wouldn't be very portable. You wouldn't be able to pick it up and set it upright in the garage (which we also don't have) by yourself for when it rained. I suppose you could put your 2 x 4 frame on some outdoor tiles to get it up from the ground and then cover the "floor" tightly with a tarp. But the humidity might warp it. What about waterproofing your material or using outdoor decking material? Or, if it was left outside uncovered it will get dusty and dirty and you might trash your skates. I am not familiar with what is out there for building materials, but maybe some of you that are can suggest ideas for building little outdoor "jam" rinks! This sounds like so much fun!
Old January 25th, 2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Dekindy

This thread is 10 years old. Any new options or ideas?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2018, 10:17 PM   #9
Tuesday Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
This thread is 10 years old. Any new options or ideas?
Wow! Ten years old! I did end up putting a masonite board in my basement and that was pretty smooth. Not too thick and easy to move around. I am still skating weekly at the rink and jam skating in the middle is still part of my night. Nearly 3 years ago we had to move in with my aging parents to care for them. I did not need to bring my board as we have a large condo with all wood floors. Once in awhile I get out my skates and skate in the home! Haha.